i'm new here!

nannie23

hello...i'm new here and would like to tell you why i decided to join. a little over a year ago i found a treasure on the side of the road. it was a huge dollhouse. it was just a shell and i immediately jump at grabbing it. it cost me 25.00 and when i started to do some research on the kind of house it was i found it was from plans from a doll house store in my state. i discovered i paid 25.00 for a house totally constructed and the plans cost more. assembled it would have cost me almost 500.00. i was so excited. but the excitement has diminshed and the anxiety has set in. i look at the house contantly but i have no idea where to start. now after the house collecting dust in my craft room for more than a year my darling husband is starting to give me a hard time about me getting going. i know this is going to be a very long project and one that i work on thru the years. but i guess what i was looking here for is guidance on how to get started.

while at a party last night the subject of the dollhouse came up and that is why today i really am pumped to get going. my plan of action was to dust it off and since it was on the side of the road it has some moldy spots, so i was going to prime the entire house. i have picked out a paint color and i have bought shingles for the roof. does this sound like the right plan of action or is there another way to aproach this?

thanks in advance for any help that you may offer!

nannie

Hello & Welcome to the neighborhood :p I think your ideas of cleaning it 1st and then priming it is perfect. I always add the shingles last but that is because that is my least favorite job LOL. I can not wait to see and hear more about your wonderful house find! please do feel free to let us know how things are going and do ask us if & when questions pop up :p

Hi Nannie :p Welcome to the group. Yes, give the house a good cleaning first & you may want to go over it with fine steel wool or fine sandpaper to be sure you get all the mold off. Primer is a good idea after that. I would suggest that you wait until last or almost last to put the shingles on. When doing a rehab on a house that is already constructed, you may have to turn it on all sides & even upsidedown to get at some places & the shingles can break off easy.

Any questions you have, there is always someone in here who can answer them.

Steve in PA

OK Nannie....how unfair...wheres the pics?????....lol

Welcome

I am afraid I will be no help with a rehab since I am not one of the lots of lucky ones here that find these treasures :p WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Ok pity party is over...lol

Wen

Welcome to the forum! You'll need to decide on style, colours, wallpapers, exterior finishes etc. Maybe try getting a dollhouse construction book to figure out the 'order of construction'. Did you get windows and doors? Does it have siding or smooth sides? So much to think about! Go online and look at online catalogs or order a few hard copy catalogs from the stores to help you decide.

Welcome, Nannie! :p

I would just add this to Steve's advice - there is a primer called Kilz (or something like that). It does what the name implies ... it kills off any micro bacteria or mould spores.

I would be very excited if I found a huge dollhouse by the side of the road!

Once you have posted 5 times, you can open an album - we would all love to see this treasure of yours!

Welcome Nannie----you will be so glad that you joined this forum! There's so much to learn and sooooo many happy people ready to teach! Imagine finding a big treasure like that on the side of the road! Sounds about right,though,to sand off any mold/mildew and use the primer(Kilz).Go slow,enjoy each step.And I usually do the shingling last also.It's tedios and boring but very rewarding when finished.Good luck with your project and as soon as you have posted 5 times you can start putting up pictures of your

project.We LOVE eye candy!! Welcome! :D

Welcome to the little family, Nannie. After you dust the house make a solution of one part laundry bleach to ten parts water and SCRUB the house down with it and let it dry in the sunshine to kill off as much mold & mildew spores as possible, and when it's thoroughly dry, prime it with the Kilz. After that, I usually start with the floors & ceilings, then the walls. If you can't remove the windows & doors it'll be tricky, but with care and masking tape you can succeed. I would love to see pictures, too, to know which house it is! You are going to have SO much fun sith this rehab, and for USD$25 you already have a bargain!

Hello and welcome; you and I are in the same boat. I joined last week. I found my dollhouse behind a GoodWill dumpster this summer, basically a shell, (photo'd) next to my post; but has roof on. I put in on saw horses in the garage and have literally lost sleep over it for a month! When I chanced upon this Forum, it was an Eureka moment. I've been able to identify my house; view photos of other houses (same model) for comparison and ideas; and had wonderful, kind supportive input from Forum regulars.

Initially, I was totally overwhelmed by the site and what' ahead of me. But now, I'm settling in to the idea its a process. My Achilles Heel has been buying furnishings from the Internet right and left- as I've been too intimidated to buy items to actually work on the house. Have you discovered there are almost zero doll house stores anymore?

So, welcome and enjoy!

Hello, and welcome to the forum. You have a wonderful project ahead of you....remember, just remember, have fun with it...you are on the right tract about cleaning it. You have a color chosen and shingles. I can tell you one thing for sure, once you get started you will not be able to stop........you will be hooked from now on. Let's make this one of many.