5/17/06 Da Vinci Code Are ya gonna see it?

He is one of my favorite artists (Da Vinci) and now they say he had a code :D . How many of you are gonna go see the movie and how do you feel about it? Is it just another movie for entertainment or is it more?

Just wondering. They say it has lots of people rethinking there faith. Is it just hipe to get more people to wanna see it?

We don't go to movies much, but I will probably get it when it comes out on DVD. I read the book and loved it. The book was very entertaining and thought provoking, and I'm sure the movie will be too. Can't remember the other book by this author but it was good reading also.

I'd like to see the movie, but we don't have any theaters in our area. So I'll have to wait until I can get a DVD.

I don't think the movie hype will determine if people go to see it, but the hype from the people who are opposed to the movie might make more people curious about it. So much has been on TV about the code most people already know what its about.Since the book was basically a work of fiction based on some historical facts, I think it will make some consider the possiblities but it won't change anyones faith. That has been instilled in us since childhood.

Dh wants to see it. Wether we go will depend on if we can find a babysitter. ( anyone want to watch 4 adorable children?) Otherwise we will wait till it comes out on DVD. Dh has read the book I haven't yet. Personally I don't think it matters if Jesus was married and there is way to much of the book that is just not true or can't be proven to really mean anything.

I gathered it was just a rehash of the old Templar myths; back several years ago there was a book, King Jesus, in which Jesus was revived after the crucifixion and whisked off to Roman Gaul where he was nursed back to health and married Mary Magdalene and their descendents became the Frankish kings. Are we seriously looking for the Lost Ark from clues on the back of our dollar bills? The movie ought to be entertaining, if you like that sort of thing.

I read the book...I enjoyed the book...his previous book was more interresting than this one but I am looking forward to seeing the movie.

I really do not understand the controversy around this book....it is a work of FICTION

the arthur never claims any historical fact. it is a hypothesis of historical theories.

simular to National Treasure...which was a great movie.

people need to chill!

I understood all the controversy around "The Passion" but this I do not.

just my humble opinion!

nutti :D

Can't remember the other book by this author but it was good reading also.

"Angels and Demons". I read and really enjoyed both. For one thing, they're both excellent mystery stories. All hype aside, the man can tell a really good who-done-it. I also enjoyed the research that he put into his topics and his knowledge of history, art and architecture. Overall, they were excellent books and the religous tones were thought provoking. I won't comment on my personal opinion of those theories because I respect that everyone has their own belief structure and it's a delicate topic, but I have to say that both books challenge people to take a look at their beliefs and decide if what they believe is because of their own conscious decision or what if it's what they've been taught to believe is true. Sometimes it's good to examine why we believe what we do. :D It can either strengthen our existing belief structure, or it can open new doors for enlightenment. I like to stretch my brain like that.

I probably won't watch the movie tho. I'm not real big on movies in the first place and I seldom if ever watch a movie if I've enjoyed the book.

Deb

I really have no interest in seeing this movie (at the theatre)

I am much more excited about the last X-Men movie and we all want to see Over the Hedge.

Maybe it is cause I was never a big mystery movie type of person.

I tried to read the book about a year ago. I got bored so i probably won't bother watching the movie. Tom Hanks is kind of annoying and i caught a look at his hairdo for the movie, it was too distractingly hideous so i really doubt i'd be able to pay attention to the story, i'd be too distracted by his hair :D

I tried reading Dan Brown's other book, too, and was so bored by it I had no desire to read this one. I read everything Carl Hiassen writes (haven't gotten up the money to buy his latest "children's book", but I will) and definitely will try to go see "Hoot"! Both DH & I always hurt ourselves laughing when we read his books! I STILL want Skink for governor!

We don't get the chance to go to see a lot of movies with Ray's shifts. I'd rather see the next X-Men series - Hugh Jackman (now there's someone I can enjoy looking at) - Tom Hanks (and the hair) - think I can pass.

Tuesday evening I was supposed to go and see Antonio Bandera in Take the Lead with a couple of girlfriends. All of our husbands said ....chick flick ... uh uh. I went and got this darn cold, so had to miss out. Have to catch it on dvd.

I remember taking Ray to see the Phantom of the Opera. I kind of figured he didn't really know that it was a musical (snicker), but I was dying to see it on the big screen. Hey, is it my fault that he didn't remember seeing it a few years back at the Live Theatre? When I was paying for the popcorn, the guy behind the counter leaned in (looking at my husband standing innocently a few feet away ... in a movie theatre filled with women) and asked me "does he know what this movie is about?". I shook my head and took Ray into the theatre. During one scene when I was just taken away with the music and the beauty, I turned to Ray with tears in my eyes to say "this is one of the best movies I've ever seen" and noticed he too had tears in his eyes (tears of "how much longer will this movie go on").

DaVinci Code is a work of fiction - subject matter doesn't bother me. I'm a Christian and feel that my faith is one that stands up to scrutiny. Jesus Christ is the most studied person in history (secular and Christian). I still believe he is the son of God who came to earth to live in man's body, lived a perfect life, was crucified and died, and rose again from the dead after three days.

-Susanne

Hugh Jackman (now there's someone I can enjoy looking at)
Yummy eye candy!

Antonio Banderas in Take the Lead

Look out, optic blood sugar!

DaVinci Code is a work of fiction

What she said.

I do not read often, Darrell and I both readt this book, then also bought the paperback with all the pretty pictures in it. We intend to go see this as we have a few free movie passes.

Melissa

Who is very, very, carefully watching her budget.

The movie will be an entertaining piece of fiction but as far as rethinking my faith based on a movie, don't think so. And Tom Hanks needs to fire his hair dresser, if he has one! What someone said is right, the hair would distract you from any plot the movie might have! ;) I liked him better in Forest Gump & Apollo 13. Da Vinci is one of my favorite artists too, I have books with his drawings and he was a genius, but many people forget he was also ahead of his time by centuries. I wouldn't even attempt to read the book if it wasn't at least interesting. So I will probably wait for it on dvd, I'm watching my budget also.

I can't imagine paying to see a movie that has been televised for the past month or so on A&E, History and other channels. Some parts were interesting such as the Templars and how they came to be but any connection to todays Templars, of which my husband is one, as well as Freemasonry is truly ridiculous. I wouldn't mind reading the book though and I'm 79th in line waiting for the library book.

DaVinci Code is a work of fiction - subject matter doesn't bother me. I'm a Christian and feel that my faith is one that stands up to scrutiny. Jesus Christ is the most studied person in history (secular and Christian). I still believe he is the son of God who came to earth to live in man's body, lived a perfect life, was crucified and died, and rose again from the dead after three days.

Dan Brown has managed to master media hype, and he's an okay writer, but his subject matter research is about as poor as any other conspiracy conjecturist's work. I suspect that he chose his subject in order to maximize the hype factor and thereby the profit potential. Judged on that basis, his book has been a smashing success ;)

I've not read the book DaVinci Code, but I understand that he spent 2 years researching the book. Did he state sources or how he did his research? Not sure it can stand up to the 2,000 years of believers and skeptics who have researched the life of Christ. Lee Strobel, was an aetheist reporter when he set out to prove, using his investigative reporting methods, once and for all that Jesus Christ is not who he said he was. But through the course of his investigation, he changed his mind and his belief. He wrote Case for Christ , showing that the evidence proved his original theories to be wrong.

-Susanne

The only reason for me to watch this film would be Audrey Tautou. She's one of my fav. actresses. Loved her in "Amélie" and in "He loves me, he loves me not". But I just can't understand why she wanted to play this part. To me it's a stupid and very uninteresting story. Who cares if Jesus had a baby with Maria Magdalena! ;) Although I really like Hanks and Toutou I will not gonna see this film.