my first ( and probably last) ebay sale

chellebelle

While cleaning out my closet, I came across a doll I've had since 1985. My daughter had asked for a Sweet Sea mermaid doll for Christmas that year, and both me, I mean "Santa" and Grandma and Grampy got her one. We opened gifts at their house first that year ,so I put it away, in case the other broke. It's still in the box, mint condition after all these years!

Since there's a miniature show here on the 10th, I thought I'd maybe sell it for extra spending money. I researched her, and found out she is rare, especially MIB. I put her up for auction, my first ever, and emailed every person on a couple doll sites who were looking for her. The first listing, she didn't sell. I relisted for 3 days, so it would end on a Saturday. Several people asked questions, and one first asked if she had stains or marks on her face. I answered that she had never been out of the box, and was mint. They wrote again, and requested a close up of her face. I had to pull her out of the box a bit, and take more photos. I even took one of the zip tie attaching her to the inside packaging. Then I had to add those photos to my listing, at additional cost.

Another asked if I'd take $30.00 less than the listed price. I was offering free shipping, priority mail, so I said no. I also had her at $35.00 less than the last one on there sold for. I thought that was a fair price. The auction ended today, and I was so excited! The buyer paid right away. I printed the shipping lable, but was having problems ( never having done it, and was unsure how to ) I finally got it printed, found the box wasn't the size I thought it was, and DAn had to cut down a bigger one to size, reboxed her up and rushed to the post office. They had JUST closed! Now I have to wait until Monday, which means I have to wait until she recieves it to get paid. Dan was a bit miffed at me because he drove me there even though he had someplace he was going, and I detained him for nothing. Then when I got home, and looked at my email, I realized I printed 2 shipping labels, :D because I put the wrong weight on the first, and corrected it on the second. I thought the first one didn't go through! I was over budget, and I was in a panic, and called paypal, and had to call several times before I got a real person! She told me how to void the first lable, and I was relieved, at least until I got the void notice, and read that it will take 15 days for it to be refunded! :suck: Let me just say that it was a bit more money than the correct one, so ooops! I won't get it in time for the mini show, so that's one less goodie to buy. And after I deduct the fees, it wasn't really worth it! So, I'm saying Never Again!!! Thank you for letting me vent!!!

Sorry things didn't go smoothly for you on EBAY. BTW...you were pretty lucky to be able to talk with a paypal PERSON...cause they NEVER answer their emails....

So many trials and experiences teach us sellers(and buyers) how to go about things to protect our sanity. I have occassionally misquoted postage and either eat the loss or I offer my buyer a paypal portion of a refund for an overpaymnet to maintain my PRECIOUS integrity.

You were RIGHT not to come down in price ESPECIALLY due to your offer of FREE SHIPPING. I don't quite understand what you mean by waiting to get paid, after you said the buyer paid promptly..... :D

Well, as a seasoned and always learning seller/buyer please know that we aren't ALL that way. I have had people offer rediculous things...

There will always be peolpe who CAN'T and WON't be pleased.

Hope you won't stay discouraged.

Donna

When I got my payment confirmation email, it said a hold is put on the payment for 21 days to make sure there's no dispute. They may remove the hold earlier if 1. The buyer leaves positive feedback on the transaction, or 2. there is confirmation of delivery through the tracking number. I didn't know there is the hold on the payment, so I just hope it goes through before the miniature show Saturday, the 10th.

I thought it was 35 cents to list on ebay is it more?

Oh, definitely more!

Listing fees can vary by category

Additional photo fees

fees to show bigger photos or zoom

fees if you want a subtitle, or bold type

final value fee (they take a percentage of your final sale price)

extra fee if you want the auction to last more than 7 days

then paypal charges a percentage of your take to use them

etc etc etc...

yeh, you pretty much have to be running a business where you're selling higher $ stuff to make good money on ebay anymore

I started on Ebay back in '96 or 97, can't remember. Back then I could sell almost any stuff and put 1 boy through college with the proceeds. About 2002 or 3 I switched to Yahoo because of the fees at Ebay. Byt the time Yahoo closed their auctions, Ebay fees were out of control. I had my own store for awhile and finally moved it all to an antique mall. This summer, I had a garage sale and carried the remains to the the Goodwill. I don't miss doing that a bit. It ate up all my spare time and after the initial 'Ebay frenzy' wore off, it was just a pain in the backside. Now I feel sorry for the sellers, Ebay has made it impossible to make a living, and the new fb system is just a form of extortion for buyers to use against sellers.

I've gone from having a store (like Sherry) and almost making "Power Seller" a couple of years ago to running maybe two or three auctions a month on eBay. And that only because my fb is such that I get in the "Best Match" searches - sometimes - and if/when something sells (never for what it should) they don't hold my money up at PayPal. At least, they haven't yet, but when that lovely little rule came into effect not long ago, you could probably have heard all the sellers screaming all the way to Mars. They've basically driven out all but the very enormous sellers who are pretty much online big-box stores now, and killed it for the rest of us. Hey, it's not even fun SHOPPING on there anymore!

But I do wish there were some other venues that had that same exposure; people do still think "eBay" first, sadly.

What about just selling things in your local newspaper? Our paper lets you list things under $500 for free!

It might work out better than messing with auctions, fees, postage, etc etc. Just a thought of doing things the old fashioned way.

Well, Dan just called. He went to the PO on his way to work and mailed the doll. In addition to the $9+ shipping label, he had to pay $23.35 more, for a total of nearly $33.00! It seems when he reboxed it, and added a couple pounds of duct tape, it went up in weight! Fancy that! We should have left it in a smaller box, but were worried it may not have enough padding. It was still in the origional box, so don't the manufacter box them well? It just fit in the shipping box and not much room to add bubble wrap and newspaper. So, he redid it into a bigger box, not thinking a few more inches of cardboard and tape would take it from 3lbs to 8lbs. Oh well!

Anyway after fees, shipping, etc, I hopefully will clear about $80.00 from the $125.00 selling price. Worth it? Nope!

I have 100% feed back for buying, so I hope I get the same for selling!

My next project will be a Christmas House. I was given a Tiffani ( I think) Christmas house kit for free, and will build and decorate it to sell.

I probably will sell it on Craigslist, just in time for the Holidays. I just am uneasy about it, though. I don't want strangers at my home when I'm alone, so it would have to be weekend pick up only. Too many kooks out there. I also don't want to accept checks or money orders ,etc, too many scams. If I build it with as much detail as I did Tabby's and the Heart Ball houses, I'm not sure anyone would want to pay as much as it will be worth. I just don't know! I have heard of Miniatures Only site, but I don't think a built house will be easy to ship. Oh well, it will work out I guess. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Well, Dan just called. He went to the PO on his way to work and mailed the doll. In addition to the $9+ shipping label, he had to pay $23.35 more, for a total of nearly $33.00! It seems when he reboxed it, and added a couple pounds of duct tape, it went up in weight! Fancy that! We should have left it in a smaller box, but were worried it may not have enough padding. It was still in the origional box, so don't the manufacter box them well? It just fit in the shipping box and not much room to add bubble wrap and newspaper. So, he redid it into a bigger box, not thinking a few more inches of cardboard and tape would take it from 3lbs to 8lbs. Oh well!

Anyway after fees, shipping, etc, I hopefully will clear about $80.00 from the $125.00 selling price. Worth it? Nope!

I have 100% feed back for buying, so I hope I get the same for selling!

My next project will be a Christmas House. I was given a Tiffani ( I think) Christmas house kit for free, and will build and decorate it to sell.

I probably will sell it on Craigslist, just in time for the Holidays. I just am uneasy about it, though. I don't want strangers at my home when I'm alone, so it would have to be weekend pick up only. Too many kooks out there. I also don't want to accept checks or money orders ,etc, too many scams. If I build it with as much detail as I did Tabby's and the Heart Ball houses, I'm not sure anyone would want to pay as much as it will be worth. I just don't know! I have heard of Miniatures Only site, but I don't think a built house will be easy to ship. Oh well, it will work out I guess. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

In reference to your Craigslist suggestion: you call the shots so if you don't want people coming to your house at all maybe you could arrange a cash payment/delivery location and take your husband. Meet them somewhere so you can protect your home.

I have quit ebay unless I know I can get something there for way less than ANYWHERE else. And since alot of people have quit selling there, the prices aren't as low as they used to be and the selection is nowhere near as good. I don't even bother looking there much anymore. If I'm going to buy new, I'll go somewhere where I can at least get a warranty, I'll pay about the same, or even less, since most of the time I get free shipping. My favorite place to shop online now is Amazon.com. If I need minis, it's Miniatures.com.