things we do for our pets

AmyD

We have 3 small dogs, the largest is a mini poodle/bichon mix 16pounds, than there's an Italian Greyhound, and a mini Chihuahua. When I'm home and either the poodle or Greyhound see something outside, they will start to bark and since the chihuahua is too small to jump on any of the chairs to look outside, I will pick him up and hold him up to the window so he knows what he is barking at. Everynight I cook them a hot dinner. Tuck them in at night, with blankets and all. When I'm in a dancing mood, I'll put on some music, pick up the poodle and dance around the living room with my little Emily. My husband and I will tear the living room apart to look for Tucker's (the Chihuahua) favorite ball. He won't play with anything else. There are blankets and beds in everyroom of our house. I can't sit at my computer without have Tucker on my lap. Or when I'm trying to work on my minis. Belle the Italian Greyhound, well she's so cute that she gets away with anything and everything. When she wants to take a nap, she'll cry and cry until I stop what I'm doing and lay down with her, so she can nap. Belle also insists on exercising with me, so when I'm working out on my stepper I have to pick her up and hold her, or she just crys. The animals have taken over and I'm not sure when I lost control. But I love them to death.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Well buddy is a great dog, he really listnes. The craziest thing I have done for him is [besides buying good quality, not to cheap products for him, i.e orthopedic bed etc], Well when he runs off he goes to petsmart, on his own. So One time when he got off the leash, i walked over to petsmart and waited for him :suck:

when he runs off he goes to petsmart, on his own. So One time when he got off the leash, i walked over to petsmart and waited for him :D

I'll bet he was suprised that you knew where he was going before he got there! :suck:

Our 3 dogs are spoiled rotten. I make homemade dog food for them because one of them is allergic to so many things. Since putting her on a homemade diet she no longer has to have allergy shots.

Our youngest, Daisy, is very bright & frequently needs new toys to stimulate her little brain :jawdrop: So we are constantly on the lookout for new toys for her. Our living room looks like we run a daycare with all the toys that are constantly strewn about!

Corwin, that's so cool that you know where to find him. Running off is just his way of telling you he wants to go shopping.

My living room looks the same way. There are even "upstairs" toy for them to play with in the bedroom.

When I first got Emily I didn't want her to be alone when I went to work so I use to leave the Animal Planet channel on. That was until I found out that they have a show about divorcing couple who fight over their pets. So I stopped doing that, I didn't want to get my little Emily all upset watching the show.

Missymew and Trinity definitely rule the roost in our home. They're "management" and Ray and I are "labour". It works for our family.

-Susanne

I think that's the way it is in any house with pets. I even move over when sitting on the couch so Emily can sit in her favorite corner of the couch. If I don't move she will just sit there and stare at me until I move. Belle has to sleep between your legs or behind your knees at night. We are here to serve and protect them...lol

We have three cats who refuse any-ANY-food except their cat food.No treats,no nothing.Then there are the two rescue greyhounds,(Fred and Shannon)We checked with the Vet first...but they are wild about the South Beach Diet!! They have very good(and expensive) dog food but they LOVE Dessert! Carrots, apple slices,romaine

lettuce leaf,ice cubes,cherry tomatoes,cucumber, watermelon and Benevolent

Biscuits(doggie cookies) made by Monks in Sparta,WI.They have large cages set up in the livingroom-doors always open-with orthopedic mattresses and they sleep in my room at night on thick mats with "blankies".These dogs have already done their life's work and have the scars to show for it. Not all dog tracks are run by mean people but some are.Some even continue to kill the old season's greyhounds.We feel very lucky that Fred and Shannon are with us.....even if Shannon woke me up at 3am today to go out....she is 11 yrs old.These dogs want nothing more than to love their owners/friends.Despite what has been done to them they love people.Wish Humans were more like dogs!!!

I think that's the way it is in any house with pets. I even move over when sitting on the couch so Emily can sit in her favorite corner of the couch. If I don't move she will just sit there and stare at me until I move. Belle has to sleep between your legs or behind your knees at night. We are here to serve and protect them...lol

Sounds like our house. Breezie rules the roost. I have blankets down for her on the couch and chair so she can be cozy. She sleeps at the foot of our bed so is with me all night, yet the first thing she wants every morning is to sit on the couch next to me all snuggled up in a blanket for about 20 minutes. The cats get food served "on demand" and have little pet heating pads to sleep on so they don't get chilled. DH says I treat the pets better than I treat him. :D :suck: . Rita

Thanks every one buddy does has his own personality. When he [buddy] runs off i know where too go although he hasn't gotten a way (yet) for a year.

I don't know about usa, but in canada all the brands we sell ecept for four well technically five have had to take all there packing off the shelf they are now only allowed to get there ingredients from usa or canada. Its about time. I am not sure if they are doing that with cat or not, but dog food for sure. They also have to give far better discrptions (from what i have heard) To whats in there.

Every night I cook Broccoli and some other veggie for the doggies, occasionally they will get "chicken" hot dogs, but besides that, Emily will eat anything except cantalope, Tucker is not crazy about peas, or watermelon. Belle will eat anything. Emily also has this thing about crab apples. She just loves them, we have a couple of trees around our house and whenever I take her out at night, she always manages to grab one. Then I have to get an apple can cut it up for the other two dogs. God forbid if one dog has something to eat and the other two don't. And I have even gotten up out of bed just to tuck a blanket around the dogs at night to make sure that they don't get cold during the night.

We have two Bengals cats that are very spoiled. My husband did not like any of the cat condos that they sell so he designed one himself and we made it for them. It goes to the ceiling. The cats love it. They refuse to drink from a dish and despite the fact that we have bought a;; the drink well fountains they make, they will still only drink from the sink so we have to turn it on for them when they want. They are very vocal so they let us know when they want the blinds opened ot when they want to look out the screen door. If we get onto them for something they grumble as if they are talking back. Its funny when they do this unlike the kids.

My oldest cat (14) started getting joint issues - he's on Glucosamine now (along with a permanent medication for hyperthyroid).... he has trouble getting on the bed because it's a high 4-poster bed. So I had my brother build a ramp - it's basically two long wooden slats covered in carpet and attached to one another with door hinges. So one slides securely between two mattress and then the other naturally lowers to the floor from the hinge... ALL the cats use it now. They LOVE it.

Oh, and we NEVER buy anything from China for our pets.....only from America!! ;)

Or places that don't poison animals or people!! :p

I only feed my cats Purina food. Why? They were the only company I know of to have none of their products pulled when that contamination thing was going on. They make their own food. Others have cleaned up? Purina didn't have to. Good enough for me.

My Kiki, who was with me for sixteen of her nineteen years, insisted on eating Purina Cat Chow and nothing but. She was a healthy and happy indoor cat all of that time, though I did at first try to tempt her with canned food and table scraps. She turned her nose up at it all, far wiser than I was!

That's interesting that Purina was never recalled, I'd not been aware of that.

Still, Koko does eat canned food now but does rely for his main nutrition on Purina One Salmon & Tuna, with the occasional bird or mouse thrown in for variaty's sake. I'm hoping for many, many more than his current six-seven years on this diet.

Um, about being a slave to one's pet: Well, His Highness likes to go outdoors just before dawn when it is still black out there, and I generally close the door to the porch so that it's not caught, but not wide open either. He's quite able to give the door a push and come in when he's ready, and he does, over and over. Well, yesterday morning about 6 a.m. the door swung open and I said, Hey, Koko - only it wasn't Koko! What I saw looking in the open door was a Lab-sized dog, face all wrinkled up and floppy ears up in the "what can I hear here" mode! So I said something like Hello, who the heck are you?? And the dog went away and I closed the door again. And about 20 minutes later, there he/she was again! Never did get a good look at the dog, but I can tell you that Koko has been closely examining the door where the dog must have pushed it with his/her nose to open it all day!

Could have been worse, I guess. It could have been a skunk - there was one night I looked out and found Koko and a huge skunk admiring each other. You can bet I broke that little mutual admiration society meeting up in a hurry!

Golly, now I'm just feeling plain MEAN :p ...I don't let our pup Chase up on the couch (since he peed on it once - my teen son's fault I'm afraid, as he was left to watch dog that day, and probably did not let poor pup out <grrrr> ~ so when we came home, there was Chase up on couch and I think he was so excited that we were home he just couldn't "contain" himself ;) )

However, Chase does sit/lay in the recliner - too small for such a big dog, but he tucks himself in quite nicely when he gets a mind to, and he can also see out to window much better from that vantage point. It's pretty funny to walk into the room and see a large German Shepherd sitting in your recliner.

I think the funniest thing Chase does is when we go somewhere in our truck <which has the half-seat behind driver/passenger seats> Chase will plant his hind legs firmly on back floor, rest his butt on the half seat and virtually lay across the center console so that he can still "ride up front" with us...its pretty funny and we have had many "aw, how cute" comments from other drivers at stoplights. And when you apply the brake while he is riding this way, he places his front paw on DH's or my thigh to keep himself from sliding. He's a character. The people at the bank just love when we pull up to the drive-thru window - there's Chase front and center, watching their every move and waiting for his dog biscuit. In Chase's mind, we only stop at the bank to get him a "cookie or two" :p

I can't spoil him as much as I'd like to, but there doesn't seem to be anything in this world he can't get away with. We just love him to pieces.

I have 2 Jack Russells, Bobbi & Beau, & they are spoiled rotten !! ;) They like to look outside, so I put a full length glass storm door in the front, so they can lay there & watch outside. I built a little shelf at the side window, so they can see out the side of the house, plus a small toy box so they can jump up to the shelf from it. In the back door, I put a doggy door, so they can go out to the yard when they feel like it !! Yes...They are spoiled !! They even have their own page on my web site !

http://www.sneekysnake.com/

Steve in PA

I also will move over on the sofa or even switch places with the dog when she gets too hot, or wants to stretch out. I take the dog to the store every Sunday morning because otherwise she will sulk. I make her her own mini-hamburger when I am making one for me. We used to go through the drive-thru at McDonald's and get an ice cream to share (I ate the first part, she would get the lower part of the cone filled with the ice-cream), but she started getting ear infections (food allergies), so that had to end--for both of us, because of course I can't eat in front of her and not share!

The cat gets carried around the yard when I am walking the dog in the a.m & p.m.--he insists he goes with us or else he will meow incessently until we come back in. We have a lot of hawks and I have spotted coyote leavings in my yard, so I don't want to take any chances with him getting plucked off out there. He also likes me to turn on the faucet to a trickle for a fresh drink of water in the morning and evening. He also gets his daily fresh cotton swab to bat around the bathroom each morning.

I don't have kids, so these two are my babies! Like any good parent, I try to make sure any spoiling is secondary to their good health!

Tappy

of course they don't appreciate it, but we'll all continue to do all of these things anyway. Just tonight, my Emily got her tummy rub for at least 45 minutes straight, than it all started over again about an hour later. She just loves it when I just sit and watch tv. Bell loves to have me kiss her neck, so she'll jump up on my shoulders(if I'm sitting down) and just stick her neck right in my face. She also smiles at me when she's done something bad. She runs up to me, ears flat, tail tucked and bears her little front teeth (her smile). When I ask her what did she do, she gets on her back, bellie exposed and smiles. She only about 6pounds, and looks so darn cute that's it's so hard to get mad at her. Anymore, Tucker just follows me around the house, everytime I turn around there he is, he even tries to follow me into the bathroom. All three dogs have me wrapped around their little paws.

My oldest cat (14) started getting joint issues - he's on Glucosamine now (along with a permanent medication for hyperthyroid).... he has trouble getting on the bed because it's a high 4-poster bed. So I had my brother build a ramp - it's basically two long wooden slats covered in carpet and attached to one another with door hinges. So one slides securely between two mattress and then the other naturally lowers to the floor from the hinge... ALL the cats use it now. They LOVE it.

we have stairs for one of our dogs, he's just too small to jump up on "his" chair. So far I've seen 2 out of the 3 using them.