How do I potty train my daughter?

Anya

Ok my daughter is 16 months old and has started taking off her nappies and it's not long before she's going to figure out how to get her dungarees off. I've had nappies thrown in my face, put my hand in them by accident, stood in them you name it it's happened to me and I have no idea how to stop her taking them off. ;)

I have bought her a potty, she will sit on it but she won't do 'you know what in it.' If I try to keep her on it or distract her she tries to run away and cries. Anyway I don't want to force her onto the potty because I don't want her to reject it altogether, I would ask my mother's advice but she does go on hehe. This is my first child so I have no idea what to do, plus all this nappy changing and potty stuff is just confusing anyway.

Ok my daughter is 16 months old and has started taking off her nappies and it's not long before she's going to figure out how to get her dungarees off. I've had nappies thrown in my face, put my hand in them by accident, stood in them you name it it's happened to me and I have no idea how to stop her taking them off. ;)

Onesies work well. Mine had trouble getting the snaps undone. Put her diaper on backwards and ducttape down the tabs That works well too. I am assuming you use paper diapers. I have four daughters. The youngest turned three in January she just fully potty trained last month. Ella was the easiest and hardest to train. She has been pooping in the potty for about a year and a half. But refused to pee. I finally convinced Mike we needed to stop buying pull ups and that she would go. I was right. Three days after the paper panties ran out she was using the potty. My youngest two also refused to have anything to do with a plastic potty. Sheridan even told me once it wasn't a real potty.

I have bought her a potty, she will sit on it but she won't do 'you know what in it.' If I try to keep her on it or distract her she tries to run away and cries. Anyway I don't want to force her onto the potty because I don't want her to reject it altogether, I would ask my mother's advice but she does go on hehe. This is my first child so I have no idea what to do, plus all this nappy changing and potty stuff is just confusing anyway.

She probably isn't ready, but is experimenting. She understands the concept of sitting, but probably doesn't understand what to do while on it. If she wants to sit let her. If she doesn't don't make her. If her diapers are dry when she wakes up she might be ready. I've been told that taking off the diaper by themselves is a sign. I am convinced the only reason the take it off is because they can. Three of my girls trained about age three, Alysia trained at 2.5 years. One thing that worked well for a friend of mine was to have her kids sit on the potty before getting in the tub about the time they started to walk. They were all trained between two and 2.5 years. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help. Great idea about putting nappies on backwards I'll try that one for sure.

I will try to sit her on potty before bathtime too and see how she goes. Some of the books I have on babies are so useless. They just say when children should reach milestones what use is that when all kids are different anyway. ;)

if you are serious about the potty training...as in you are going to do it now

couple of things. summer time is easier because less clothing

when I felt my daughter was ready we got a timer and for a week she sat on the potty about every 15-20 mins. all day. potty was in main room of house.

she had potty books...only to be looked at while sitting on potty

EVERYTIME we "caught" something we clapped and carried on and told her how BIG she was.

everytime she had a mess we told her how yuck the stuff in the diaper was and how much better she would feel if she went on the potty like big girl. oh and the bribe of Minnie Mouse Panties when she used potty all the time. now of course only the parents can decide at what age their child is ready for this.

best to wait till child really understands what you are saying to them.

and a child close in age that is already potty trained can help your child understand "Big"

my sister used suckers...her kids sat on potty while eating their suckers. and as young kids want to have suckers always its not long before you catch something.

and really if all this stresses you out remember as my gran used to tell me....ya dont see many 30 yr olds still wearing diapers coz they dont understand....itll come when its time

I agree about the diapers comming off just coz the kid figured out how to get it off.

it is sooo much nicer when they move past the diapers.

have fun.

nutti ;)

16 months is awfully young! My mother put us through all sorts of stress claiming I was potty-trained at 6 months, why wasn't (whichever kid it was) trained? Well, the first kid day-trained himself when he was 21 months and by 2 decided he didn't like being in diapers any more so stayed dry all night. The second kid decided he didn't like diapers or wet/ dirty clothes by the time he was 2 1/2. The youngest (who turned out to have bipolar disorder) finally went with the potty thing, with GREAT reluctance) when I offered to send him to school with a diaper bag. DM was gone by then, or she would probably have died from apoplexy at my casual attitude towards potty-training.

Oh, this is a subject I remember! ;) During college I majored in early childhood education, and worked in a day care center. The age group I took care of in my class were 13 two year olds! :) Had more stamina back then! ;)

Actually, everybody here is right. Don't rush the kid. Encourage the kid. Clap your hands make a big todo over their 'success' :D I had parents who threw a fit when the poor child would go throw all of their potty pants and had to go home in a diaper. Turns out that the poor kid was scared to death of the toilet. So it isn't good to rush them. She's probably ready, especially if she's begun to take the diaper off.

One thing I found in my experience was a set routine of putting them on the pot. If you are a working mother, this might be hard, and not feasibly possible. Imagine doing this with 13 two year olds who had different 'schedules'--some were just beginning to learn, some were pros, and some were what I called'pot-sitters' :) which means they knew what they were supposed to do, but weren't ready, or did not know how. Keep sitting them on the pot on a routine, and it will happen. If they have a set routine, then it will help a bit, and they might start going to sit on the potty by themselves.

16 months is awfully young! My mother put us through all sorts of stress claiming I was potty-trained at 6 months, why wasn't (whichever kid it was) trained? Well, the first kid day-trained himself when he was 21 months and by 2 decided he didn't like being in diapers any more so stayed dry all night. The second kid decided he didn't like diapers or wet/ dirty clothes by the time he was 2 1/2. The youngest (who turned out to have bipolar disorder) finally went with the potty thing, with GREAT reluctance) when I offered to send him to school with a diaper bag. DM was gone by then, or she would probably have died from apoplexy at my casual attitude towards potty-training.

OMG that is so strange you mention the story about your mother. My mother claims that my brother and sister were potty trained before they could walk and I have to admit that has made me think I was doing something wrong. Somehow I just cannot imagine this to be true.

I have thought the same thing about Autumn (my daughter) being too young for going on the potty but I had no idea how to stop her taking her nappy off. She managed to take her nappy off in her cot this morning and wee in the bed ;) my husband quickly put her next nappy on back-to-front. hehe.

The thing is I don't know how to tell my daughter not to do this. I just say 'no' to her but I don't think this helps and I am not shouting at her because I don't see the point. She's too cute and hasn't a clue what she's doing is annoying, or am I giving her too much credit hehe.

My middle son is three and is almost potty trained. He just doesn't pay attention I think. If have is completely naked he will go, but if he has pants on he forgets. He is getting better it just takes awhile. I agree about yelling it really doesn't do any good.

I didnt rush my girls either. One thing I did was always kept the potty in the bathroom. The bathroom is where you go, the potty should stay in there.

Another thing is (dont think my gross) but when I had to go, I would bring them in with me. When they SAW what they had to do and where, it finally started to click.

Both girls werent completely dry until they were three.

HURRAH I did the back nappy back-to-front trick and Autumn cannot get her nappy off now hehehe I am so happy! Ha

She was giving me dirty looks all day though. Not impressed at all hehe.

well done - hope its a while for you before she figures out how to get a backwards one off.

one thing i will say is just be relaxed about it, all, have a potty about the house so she can see it, try it whatever.

don't let her get anyone elses bad vibes about it, my MIL said hers were triaineed by 6 months, but then she said she used to tie Natalie (my SIL) to the table leg with a scarf on her potty (if she ever tried that with any of mine she would have known my wrath i can tell you. my son used to stay a lot, as did my daughter (she is now 14) and she has been messed up by my MIL, she was not potty trained for a long time and MIL used to get angry with her when she was round at her house (didn't know this for a long time) she has had bedwetting problems as a result only now is she starting to get over it, she has a very occasinal wet night now. of which we are laid back about and tell her to be positive about it and it won't last forever.

so do not let your daughter go anywhere where she can get the bad vibes about it all, she will do it when she is ready

Hi Anya,

There is one method which works really well. I learned about this years ago in a child development class and that is basically to rent a slightly older child to teach her how to use the potty. Just like it's easier to get a child to try a new food if they see other kids eating it it's also easier to get them to use a potty chair if they see other kids doing the same thing. And don't forget lots of praise when they use it - even if it's just a little. "Yaaay! You used the potty!" Sounds silly but worked for my son. There are also some children's books that you could read to her - There is one called Everyone Poops - I believe that is the title, not a book I'd probably buy but I think most libraries in the U.S. carry it in the child's section - maybe they have something like it in Brittain. The thing is that for a little kid the potty can be a scarey thing. So first of all letting your daughter see how a grown up uses it (you) is a start but kids learn best from other kids so if you have a friend or neigbhor who has a slightly older daughter you could have them come over for the weekend and every time they use the potty have them take your daughter with them - As strange as this method sounds I've heard of kids going from nappies to using the potty on their own in as little as a single weekend . My best friend and I took that class together. Our kids are only a few months appart in age and we both used that method - it worked like a charm. Oh - also to help get her to sit there for a while - try putting one of her favorite picture books in the bathroom for her to look at while sitting.

-David

• 4 months later...

I'm pretty new on the forum, so I don't know if anyone checks these older postings, but all of this advice has helped me a lot today! My daughter is almost 20 months, but has been experimenting with the potty for about 4 months already. I would bring her in with me, but rather than sit on her potty, she would want the real thing. That is great, but she'll sit on it for a long time just leafing through a magazine and not go. I am just getting anxious as to when her "successes" will become more frequent!!

Missy

Taking off the diaper is a classic sign that you may want to start trying. She is young but you could start her on Pull-ups. You could have her wear underwear in the house and pullups out of the house and at night. Start her slow. Sometimes they shy away for awhile and you have to try again.

Believe me when I say this...She will not be wearing a diaper to college!

well i have to say im glad im not the only one who does not have there child potty trained by 6 months. LOL

Ben will be 2 in Nov, and I have not started yet. He has just started to be able to start comunicating with us in a way that i know he undestands what's going on. I did not want him to start and not be able to express himself. He does not have any problems i already took him to a speach theropst, they said he's fine just a little behind and will catch up.

He's alredy inproving by leaps and bounds just in the last few months. I was going to start soon with a potty seat, but was not sure about getting a pottty or a sm seat for the toilet.

He has started to show interest in what goes on in the bathroom so i think the timing i right. He hates to have his diaper changed though, so im still unsure about that. Though i think it's because of the wipes they hurt his bum, but the messes are too large to clean up with the little pads we used to use when he was little. I only used water for the longest time.

Jenn

David was the easiest. When he turned 2 years old he was potty trained day & night and I was told girls are easier.....HA Ha Haaaa. Rachel & Sarah were both 3years almost 4 years old before they would actually go potty faithfully :queen: I think Pull ups were the reason the girls took so long. I would recommend to not use those. They are great for Uh Ohs but the kids learn it's okay if they miss going to the potty. If they have on underware and do a Uh Oh, then they really feel it :whistle:

What a universal topic!

My sister's first daughter took to the potty chair with great enthusiasm. So much so that she was known to drag it into the dining room and place it beside a dinner guest, whereupon she'd make herself comfortable with a book until she was finished. Sis told the guest he should consider it an honor, as Jenny was proud of being able to take care of herself.

And daughter #2 announced the date of her "conversion" in advance. They always went to Florida for a couple of weeks in February to escape the Chicago chill. Penny announced the previous September that she was going to stay in diapers until they got to Florida, and then she'd wear big girl pants. Sis says that the minute they got into the apartment, Penny dug her big girl pants out of the suitcase and put them on ... never had another "accident".

Kids are wonderful!

And Anya, may we have a 6-month report? How did the training go?