10/16/09 Your Song?

Minis On The Edge

Well, I thought of my favourite romantic song......IF,by Bread.Always loved it!!

Then there's Rainbow Connection..by Kermit

You've Got A Friend/Rock-a-bye-Sweet Baby James...James Taylor

Merry Christmas,Darling...The Carpenters

Jungle Love....The Time

Everyone's Gone to the Moon....Jonathan King

Pie Jesu.....Sarah Brightman

I Love Music........just about all of it!!!

And of coarse my all time faves:,Led Zeppelin..................sigh.................

• 3 weeks later...

Little Things

My late husband loved that song and it was played at our wedding 30 years ago. It's so old they don't play it anymore.

My second favorite is Wipeout . I can really clean house in a hurry with that playing is the background.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I really enjoyed reading this topic. It surprised me how many songs listed are all time favorites of mine.

Holly......Peter, Paul & Mary.....I fell in love with them when I was a little girl in the 60's. Like 6 or 7 years old. I remember saving a nickel a week to buy the 45 of Leaving On A Jet Plane. I still have the record and still love the song.

The Beach Boys Endless Summer was my first and much prized album and I have it in 1" scale. And WipeOut........did I ever love to dance to that back when.

My list of songs that are serious favorites is looooooong, but, I love instrumentals so much and notice they aren't really included here. I LOVE LOVE LOVE anything Yanni. Alley Cat and Music Box Dancer are also two big big favorites. But............I'm gonna have to show the love here and say a song I listen to over and over when I need strength is 'The Miranda Song' by David Clemmons/Full Bliss. It's on YouTube I think. The words really get me for some reason. And no, I'm not prejudiced, even if Miranda is my niece and David is my brother :)

One of my 'fun favorites' is Beach House On The Moon by Jimmy Buffet. I better stop. This could take all night. So I'll close with this, I love picking 'the right' music when I am in my dh world.

There are lots of songs I like because they are uplifting, particularly things by ABBA, the Beatles and the Drifters but special hubby songs are: Need your love so bad by Fleetwood Mac which he used to sing for me on stage (he's a professional musician) and a song he recorded for our wedding, an old country song by Vince Gill called Look at Us (about a couple who still love each other after many years together - we waited a while for our wedding).

• 1 year later...

I love 60s music, including the British invasion, the Four Seasons, Gary Pucket and the Union Gap, the Rascals, Turtles, Byrds, and every other animal of its day. I even love the 60s protest songs, as they had a certain spirit and unity about them.

Some of my all-time favorite songs are Your Song by Elton John, Imagine by John Lennon, Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel, People Got to Be Free by the Rascals, and Something by the Beatles. However, if I had to pick a current song that speaks to me it would have to be Unwell by Matchbox 20 for the lyrics, "I'm not crazy, I'm just a litte unwell . . ." For some reason I want to sing it whenever that song comes on the radio. Maybe because I've be saying the same line to my friends for years.

Too many to list!

But part of what makes a song "mine" is 1) is it in the contralto range 2) can I find the sheet music?

:D

Holly, I sang "Motherless Child" in performance one year....

Are you in a choir, sing in public often, or play an instrument?

I sing in a choir (Celebration Singers, we rehearse Oct to Dec, perform Dec), and I studied voice for 10 yrs. I also sang in choirs in school, and in Gr 12 I was in the chamber music girls ensemble. We were Canadian champions. Except I was a lyric soprano back in those days...lol

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Pretty much anything by Emmylou Harris, Mr. Springsteen takes some beating and the West End and Broadway Musicals can have me singing! for days.................How about 'Happy Hour' by Ted Hawkins? or 'Tonight Will Be Fine' by Teddy Thompson? or even 'Sailing to Philadelphia' by Mark Knopfler and James Taylor?..................Best for me though is 'Talk To Me Of Mendocino' by Kate and Anna McGarrigle I have loved this pair since the early 70's.......and Kate's passing was a terrible moment!

So funny I saw this... I planked the DH kitchen walls Thursday using Eileens Fast Grab tacky glue, If you've used it, you know that you have to sit the container upside down or you wait forever...I sang "Come on Eileen" from the 80's ALL DAY LONG!

But seriously... 70's country, i love that junk!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There are too many for me to list. One of my favorites is "Testify to Love" by Wynonna Judd. It's from an episode of Touched by an Angel". It's very uplifting. smile.gif It's on You Tube if you haven't heard it.

I absolutely love Avalon's version of Testify To Love, but didn't know until just now that Wynonna Judd had also recorded a version of it. I just heard it on YouTube as you suggested, thanks!

• 2 years later...
On Fri Oct 16 2009 20:43:56 GMT-0500, havanaholly said:

"Our" song is "Puff, the Magic Dragon", because the first time DH proposed to me was on our way back to my dorm after a rowdy party following a Peter, Paul & Mary concert we'd attended (it was the first time he proposed because we'd both had a bit to drimk and I wanted to see if he was serious enough to ask me again when he was stone, cold sober; which he did when he was).

Saw P,P&M when I was a brownie scout.  Our troop graced the cover of their Puff,45 cover.  I found sheet music with the photo on ebay.....it is now in my living room.   They have always been my favorite group. Of theirs..."Hurry down sundown", "Well, Well Well", and "Stewball".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Saw P,P&M when I was a brownie scout.  Our troop graced the cover of their Puff,45 cover.  I found sheet music with the photo on ebay.....it is now in my living room.   They have always been my favorite group. Of theirs..."Hurry down sundown", "Well, Well Well", and "Stewball".

I was never able to see them in person, but I saw their PBS Christmas special. Light One Candle, El Salvadore and Right Field were the highlights of that special, as well as, of course, Puff the Magic Dragon. So many memories.

I love the music from the 60s, 70s and 80s and have thousands and thousands of songs that I love. They're all my favorites.

Right now, if I had to pick a couple that make me smile, it would be Pick Up the Pieces by Poco or Neal's Fandango by the Doobie Brothers.

"Goin' back, I'm too tired to roam

Loma Prieta my mountain home

On the hills above Santa Cruz

To the place where I spent my youth"

I used to take my telescope up on Loma Prieta and I roamed all over the Santa Cruz mountains on horseback and on foot.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
6 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

Bumping this one.

Johnny Mathis  The Twelfth of Never, my husband played it to me in 58, then asked me to marry him I was 16 .It was also playing as he peacefully  slipped away in 2018

That is a beautiful song. I am so sorry you lost your husband. I was twice widowed before 30. You never really fully recover. My lovely hubs, fresh out of the Air Force, took me to the movie Pleasantville for our first date. This song was in it, and it has been our song ever since.

"At Last" by Etta James