Back Surgery 2009

heidiiiii

I figured I will talk about it here and maybe be able to give shed some light on the whole thing.

FOr those that do not know, I am going to have surgery on L5 Lumbar in my spine.

I have so much to do before the time comes. I do not have a surgery date yet. Nov. 3rd I go to my GP for a physical. Then the ball will roll after that.

Fred is going to file for FMLA..for me and for him. FMLA for me, they only give him 2 weeks..but for the stress he will be under..many many more weeks. Fred never ever takes a sick day so he has a ton of it on the books.

So you all will be happy to know that I will have someone here to take care of me.

I am a little angry at Chelsea. Maybe it is me just feeling sorry for my situation but I am still mad. She has plans to go to Tennessee in November for the whole month. She wants to buy her plane tickets today. I am angry that she can not think about the fact that her Mom is going to have major surgery and she can only think of herself at this point.

She does not even want to hear it. She is going to get her tickets and go.

I have yard work to finish, fall cleaning, I have to hurry and put plastic on the windows, clean the pantry to stock, clean the freezer to stock meals, cook some meals to freeze.

I want my bedroom cleaned from top to bottom so I have a nice sanctuary to go to in my hours of pain.

Okay, enough for now. I am in the midst of washing all the curtains in the house. That is part of my fall cleaning schedule..

This weekend, Fred and Natalie are going to rearrange the livingroom for Christmas. I know I know. It is early..but get it done now so they can put up the tree without my help.

To be continued......

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be so hard on the child. She is trying to protect herself from the pain of watching a parent suffer. That really does hurt, when there nothing you can do to fix it for them....

Best of luck with the surgery, hoping you have a speedy, full recovery.

Don't do too much and make your back worse. I know you want to be prepared, but take it easy. I know easy for me to say. You don't want to have to have emergency surgury.

Best of luck on the surgury and have a speedy recovery.

I am leaving her alone about it. I took her downtown to purchase her plane tickets.

Seriously, I am not going to over do it. I have a hubs and two unwilling children that will help me with the things that I want done before I am incapacitated. Just want to get these fall things done so that I do not have to stare at the undone all winter long.

I am glad to hear that you and Fred have a plan on how to deal with this wholle ordeal, it is a must to have someone around to support and be there.

As for Chels, yep, I can see it as one of those ostrich moments, you know "if I go about as planned it isn't happening" kind of deal... It is never ever easy to deal with things like this for sure and that too can add the "no talk = not happening" mood to it.

Keeping figners and toes crossed for you healong quickly!!!!

ANd for the fall prep work, now the feeling too well, I have tons of stuff I want to do and had planned for these twpo last weeks, but haven't done anything at all just yet which is a bummer... Do take it easy and slow though as I know you will, just being a mother hen really :flowers:

HUGS

I will be a good girl Anna. I hung the curtains yesterday. Fred stood behind me..LOL I know he could have done it but this how we have always done it. I think cause he could catch me instead of the reverse..LOL

I talked to a friend of mine online who had a much more complicated back surgery then I will have. But she gave me an idea of what I am in store for.

I will have to stay in hospital long enough to be able to get out of bed, hold down food, check to make sure I do not have fever, and to go thru a crash course of physical therapy to teach me how to act at home.

How to get out of bed, How to get out of car, and ways to make my healing better.

I will most likely be put on some heavy duty drugs when I am at home for the first week. Oxycontin most likely.

I will probably spend the first half of that week upstairs in bed. No coming downstairs for me.

Yay! (did that sound convincing??)

I talked to a friend of mine online who had a much more complicated back surgery then I will have. But she gave me an idea of what I am in store for.

I will have to stay in hospital long enough to be able to get out of bed, hold down food, check to make sure I do not have fever, and to go thru a crash course of physical therapy to teach me how to act at home.

How to get out of bed, How to get out of car, and ways to make my healing better.

I will most likely be put on some heavy duty drugs when I am at home for the first week. Oxycontin most likely.

I will probably spend the first half of that week upstairs in bed. No coming downstairs for me.

Yay! (did that sound convincing??)

Well, we'll be there with you cheering you along, good thing that you did get the laptop back huh?!? And it is better to be warned and prepared for sure, evnethough it is a tough prep work to be doing!!!

Taking the drugs and doing as the doctor orders is a good thing as a start, it is the fastest way to healing well :ohyeah: which we all want you to do!

Lots of hugs!

Yes, following rules is always a good idea. Am so sorry you have to go through this surgery but I am also hoping that this will end much of your problem. Let us know when the surgery is scheduled so we can band together and send you healing.And keep

that laptop with you once you're home so you can chat when you're up to it!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!! :ohyeah:

Will be sending lots of positive thoughts, healing energy, and just plain caring vibes!! Hope it all goes wonderfully well, and that your recovery is speedy and complete. :( Don't worry about the kids unwillingness and seeming callousness - I know how that goes, and they don't mean to hurt, they're just kids. :D

Tell the surgeon to leave plenty of space in the operating room ... cause we'll all be there! He may be working on your back, but we all have your back! :ohyeah:

I had a bad bad day yesterday. Back, leg and foot were not being friendly. I eventually caved last night and took a Vicodin. As many of you know, I will hold off until I cannot take it anymore when it comes to narcotic pain relief. It is not me being stupid..I just do not want to rely on it if I do not have to. I was able to sleep like a baby and woke up extra early..partly cause I had slept enough and partly cause Oliver was hungry.

Tuesday is my pre-op appointment. My sugars have been good recently. Of course my overall will not be good because of the steroid shots. They did put my sugars out of whack, but my GP knows that.

I am going to take it nice and easy today. Watch some scary movies, maybe make soup for dinner in the crock pot, and if it does not rain...pass out candy.

Tomorrow is my pre op appointment with my GP. I had a physical scheduled anyway so they are going to make it an all in one.

Fred went to the grocery store with me today and would not let me put the bags in the cart or in the car or in the house.

I think he is prepping for what is to come.

I am still nervous but okay about what will come. I have to do it because I am sick of the pain and cramps.

Wish me luck. Anytime after tomorrow I will hear from the surgeons office.

I got the all clear from my GP..provided that nothing funky comes up on my bloodwork. I will be calling the surgeons office here in a minute to give them the heads up.

Good luck Heidi. I'm sure everything will go well but any kind of surgery is a big undertaking, so don't try to bounce back immediately, take your time, rest up and do what the Docs tell you.

Take care