Back Surgery 2009

heidiiiii

I feel better today. Fred gave me a whole Vicodin last night and I slept like a baby! Most of you know that I do not like taking pain relief. I would rather suffer then take it but when it gets really bad..well I am gonna.

I have a bottle and a half of them. Those could last me months or longer.

I know I have to do it. I just wish I was not in so much pain when I have to start. Fred and I discussed this last night. On my post op Dr visit, the Dr told me about this walking regime. Fred remembers also. But he did not stress anything. He did not say *This is what can happen if you dont do it.* So Fred even admits that we did drop the ball but the Dr did also. Usually when he wants to stress something, he writes it down. Makes sure you understand it. Not that time.

I was not being lazy..I thought I was supposed to wait until the month and a half before I did this..no no. I was supposed to do it after 2 weeks!

So at this visit, I got kinda chastised. I was thisclose to crying in front of him. He was telling this story of an executive in the area that was told the same as me. He was a very busy man and had no time to walk or exercise. He started to gain weight. He ended up going thru five surgeries! FIVE! All could have been prevented if he took his hour walk a day and lost weight.

So yes yes yes..I understand and I will do it..I am just upset.

Think of the last time you had a really bad muscle strain..like when you slept on it wrong. Now imagine that in your lower back and hip. Okay..are you there? Now imagine it having spasms. Good..last one..Imagine dealing with it for TWO WEEKS STRAIGHT! That is where I am.

Normal people get strains like this for a day or two. People like me (Back surgery people who do not exercise) suffer for weeks! Nobody told me this. This is why I am upset also.

Okay..I wrote a book. I am going to call the high school to see if they allow people to use the track during school hours. If not, I can walk the boardwalk or go to the Mall.

He wants me to really walk OUTSIDE. Bundle up. But if too dangerous..then the Mall is best.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walking outside is best because there's scenery and novelty. As for NO pain meds? If you take a Motrin it won't touch the strain pain but it will help make walking less of a screaming agony. USMC drill sergeants are fond of saying that pain is weakness leaving the body, but yours ain't the kind of pain they're referring to.

Walking outside is best because there's scenery and novelty. As for NO pain meds?... but yours ain't the kind of pain they're referring to.

Amen to that for sure! Heidi, if you felt someone trying to kick a doc's shin, that was me, sheesh the nerve huh??? Seriously though, I know you will make it through this, bu do take it eays on yourself when possible, OK?!? Sending lots and lots of strenght, energy and laughts your way!!

Hugs

No, you cannot walk the track during school hours. I have the mall that is only 5 min drive away. People go there in the morning before it officially opens to walk the perimeters.

I will go this morning. At least I will know what is on sale at what store..hehehe

My back and hip actually feel a bit better today. I think that Vicodin that I took the other night helped me to relax enough to allow the muscles to do so.

I had a really bad day yesterday..just everything came together at once and I really really truly was thinking of going to the store and buying a pack of cigs. That is how badly I felt. I did not though. Natalie and I gave ourselves a manicure and I felt better. She bites her nails like I do. She and I are having a contest. Who can keep all their nails growing before one breaks? Trimming is allowed if you have a snag but a real break will declare a loser.

If she and I can keep it up, we can go have manicures together. No fake ones. Just a nice buff, file, and change of color.

Fred and I are off to the gym. I talked to my therapist who is also a patient of the same surgeon (same surgery) and she told me that she puts an incline on the treadmill and gets her arms moving. Just like walking outside. Better to do it inside now anyway because of the weather.

I do not want to do the mall. Too much temptation. When the weather gets better (meaning no ice on ground)..I will take my walks outside..even if it is freezing.

It was actually a smart idea to start off my walking at the gym. I could not even walk 25 mins. I had to stop after 22 min..and that was pushing it. It was not my back but nerve pain in my leg.

I know that will get better the more I walk. If I was out somewhere walking..I would have been in trouble. This way I was able to stop, sit down, and let it subside.

I walked 1.9 mph and then 1.5 and lower. So I was being good but I also put a slight incline on the treadmill.

Not going today but will go tomorrow.

Heidi, sounds like a great start to a rehab program, a warm-up for more strenuous activity/therapy on down the road. It should be encouraging to know that your path to full recovery is now in your hands. :p

• 2 weeks later...

I figured it time for an update.

My back (and leg) are doing good. The pain of the strain is gone. I have had some pain if a storm blow thru though. I have a feeling that will be a normal occurrence. I think I can say that the surgery did work. I am still going slow in terms of bending, stretching and twisting. I can do them but gingerly for now. The right side of my right foot still has numbness. I have a feeling that is going to be permanent but you never know.

Sunday was a good day! It was the first day since I quit smoking that my gums did not bleed! Yippee!! I do not remember it taking that long the last time I quit.

For those that smoke and do not know this...Smoking slows the blood flow to your gums. When you quit smoking, the blood flow comes back..but since it has been so hampered for so long..your gums are traumatized. Even the softest tooth brush makes them bleed. It takes about a month or so for the to *toughen up*. My dentist told me all about this so I was not scared when it happened this time. You can spit out a good amount of blood when you brush your teeth!

Sunday was the two month mark of quitting!

I had a really rough couple of weeks. I wanted to smoke really badly. I had to fight the urge. Part of me just wanted to go to the store and buy a pack. But I didnt and I will not.

I am able to do more around the house now then I did before surgery. Everyday is a little bit better. I have still been going to the gym every other day. I think I will do that for about a month before I move up to every day. BUT all the snow and ice has melted here. I could also take a walk outside. Not today though. It is raining pretty good and I am not in the mood to get sick.

So that is how it is going. Doing good.

Keep up the good work, Heidi! It sounds like you are making good progress, although maybe a little slower than you would like. And congrats on staying away from the cigarettes - that alone is a triumph in itself and will probably do you more good than you will ever know!

:(:):) once again - you deserve it!

Congrats,Heidi on your improved health,not smoking and happier frame of mind.Pain sure is a gloomy

condition under which to live! Fingers crossed for continued success!!

Thanks for the update, Heidi - and what a good one it is! :) Great to hear that you feel the surgery was a success - I'm so happy for you!

I still get cravings for cigarettes - but it's easier to ride them out now. I didn't get bleeding gums when I quit - that would have been scary!! My dentist told me that the gums recede sooner on a smoker. Dentists should tell people all these facts - it could convince some smokers to quit.

Yeah Shy, last time I quit (10 yrs ago) my gums bled. Only when I brushed my teeth and flossed. Every day it got a bit less red in the sink.

My friend had the same thing happen to her..so I guess it just happens to some and not others.

Good to put it out there though so no one that wants to quit freaks out! It goes away. Your gums will be sore and they will bleed but it is a good thing!

• 1 month later...

I am feeling a bit better today..yay! Not 100% but better. I am pretty sure it is something that is going around because I have a couple Facebook friends that live in my area that feel the same way that I do.

I have been doing many changes to my life since I had the back surgery. I have been paying off any old bills that have been laying around, so that our credit will be better. I have been cleaning up around the house, things that I could not do because of my limitations. I have my blood sugars under control for the first time in a very long time. Dr put me on insulin at night plus my medication. Since I had gained weight..my sugars were all over the map. I finally got the insulin at the right dosage at night and I have normal sugars in the morning and during the day.

I really have to be more diligent in the exercising. I did some raking and bagging yesterday. Not alot at all...so do not think I am killing myself. Basically cleaning up stray leaves and debris, using the rake and my hand to pick up, and put in bag. I was chatting with Natalie the whole time I was doing it. Very leisurely.

Fast forward in the evening. Back hurts and my right leg hurts (not much but enough for a back surgery patient to notice). I have to go to the gym and I have to walk more. I cannot even do simple tasks in the yard without it hurting the muscles.

So I will be leaving at 10am this morning to go to the gym.

Oh..on St. Patricks Day..it will be four months smoke free! This month has not been hard at all.

Heidi,

My hats off to you. This has been a difficult time for you but I am so happy you had the courage to have the surgery and stay smoke free. You will find that your overall quality of life will continue to get better and better as your health continues to improve so hang in there gal. Make sure you keep up with the physical stuff but do not, I repeat, do not overdo.

My DH had the same surgery and I was getting close to considering leaving before he finally went forward with it. It really made a difference in our lives.

BB

• 8 months later...

This is going to be my last installment...hopefully. Today is a day of Anniversaries for me. It is my one year since my back surgery. I have to say that it has been a wonderful success. I was bagging leaves, I can reach, I can bend..Yay! I still get some numbness in my foot from time to time but I am okay with that. It is not bad, it does not hamper me, and I am aware of it.

The other anniversary is even better. Today it has been one year since I quit smoking! WooHoo!! :bear::) :) I am never looking back especially since the prices have gone up even more.

Nope. I am done. I found out I have gum disease but I am glad I found out when I did. Not a super amount of damage at this point..thank goodness. So I quit at the perfect time.

Thank you all for your support!

Heidi,

I haven't been in touch with you for a while, but I am SOOO unbelievably proud of you! An entire year smoke-free is a huge achievement. :bear: I've never been a smoker, and I never really appreciated the hold nicotine can have on a person until I met my husband. He quit this past January, so he's only a couple of months behind you. I'm so glad to read that you are feeling better as well. I'm sure you will have a wonderful Thanksgiving next week, because you have so many things to be thankful for!

It's good to see you've been doing so well.

Hugs,

Jerri