Back Surgery 2009

heidiiiii

I am back from my appointment with the PA. It is muscle strain. When I sat on the couch at the Christmas Eve party, it did not have much support. He gave me a script for Flexerol (sp?) which is a muscle relaxant. I should be fine and dandy by New Years Day.

He said if I had done something to my disc..I would be screaming and I would have really bad leg pain. Like that day when I was in the ER.

So that is the report. Just muscle strain with really bad spasms. He said all my back muscles were really tight.

I have been good after all! Except for my choice of party seating..LOL Once I sat down, I kinda knew I was in trouble. Fred had to help me out of it. It did not really hurt much on Christmas..

The PA said that is how it is. You are fine when it happens, next day you feel a bit of a twinge and then after that..full blown spasms!

Thanks everyone for your concern.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear you got something to ease the pain and that it was "nothing" bad so to speak, muscle spasms are bad in themselves but you know what I mean I hope...

HUGS and continue to take it easy, OK???

Sharon,

I figured that. They only gave it to me when I was in the hospital but not for at home. So I am guessing I am going to be on the couch sleeping or zoning on tv.

I will enjoy either one! LOL

The spasms are awful. Fred makes me laugh and I have been begging him to just not talk. Cause he says stuff, I laugh, and then I am grabbing my butt in pain..and still laughing.

PA said I would have been in the ER on Christmas Day if I had done something to my disc. Muscle strain on normal people is awful..having it while you are healing from back surgery is triple. Because I still have leg pain..it amplifies it.

Fred left to get my meds. You probably wont hear from me after I take it..LOL

Yup, I've had Flexeril before and it was very successful! Tho' I wasn't wiped out.Glad

you made it through Christmas in relatively good health.Keep it up Kiddo and here's

best wishes for a Healthy and Happy New Year!! :)

Isn't it about time for the ascending pain to start putting in an appearance? I hope it isn't as bad as the spasms from sitting wrong.

It made an appearance about 2 weeks ago..it was early. It started on my foot and worked it`s way up. But this pain is muscle. He said all the muscles in my lower back are tight.

The pill I took last night knocked me out for a few hours. I did not take one yet because I had to run errands. But now that it is snowing..I can take one and relax.

When an embryo turns into people (or whatever it's going to be) it starts at the head end and works its way down & out; so when things need to heal they start at the ends and work back.

Heidi, what about getting yourself a lumbar support pillow?

I was thinking about that Holly. I have had no problems at all until I sat on that couch. It was really bad and I should have gotten out of it when I first realized it. But every seat was taken, I figured I would not be in that spot long, etc.

I am SO tired of dropping things and then looking at it and having to wait for someone else to pick it up!!

How frustrating, Heidi - did you ever get the picker-upper thingy (see, I know hi-falutin' technical terms, too!)?

What happened to you reminds me of how I came to have a scratched cornea many, many years ago, when hard contact lenses were the only contact lenses available. Was in a looooong meeting, my eyes were dry and bugging me, but I kept thinking, "It'll only be a little while longer, don't want to make a production by getting up and leaving...." Sometimes I think we need to just forget what anyone else thinks and LOOK AFTER OURSELVES!!

My quitting smoking has made me not very welcome to my smoking friends. They want to be nice and not smoke in front of me because it is too new. So they plan get togethers where I am not invited.

It has happened a couple times already.

I never thought THAT would happen.

Thank you Mary. It just stinks feeling like the odd man out.

One cool side effect of the not smoking is that my nails are growing. Meaning, I am not nibbling them off anymore. They are long enough now that I can hear them click click click on the keys. teehee

I am going to go for a manicure this week. Maybe I will take Natalie with me.

I see the surgeon tomorrow. I need to get him to change this muscle relaxer or lower to dose. All i do is sleep. Rip Van Winkle type sleep. I took the pill at 1pm yesterday. Fred left for work. Yesterday the spasms were really bad so I did not care if I slept.

I woke up at quarter till 9!!

Then Fred came home at 11, gave me some soup, and I went back to sleep and woke up at 6am!!

I cant keep doing this. School starts back up tomorrow. I have to get the muscles to relax but not like that!

I had a dream that I smoked a cigarette. I was so horrified in the dream that I could have possibly ruined what I accomplished. I am not using any patches or chewing anymore gum. I still sometimes have fleeting moments that I want one, but they do not last.

Oh, Heidi, my heart goes out to you! But you know, some of that sleeping may also be your body healing from the nicotine. I've known several people who quit and once they get the cigarettes AND the nicotine gum or patches or whatever out of their systems, they slept a LOT for a while.

Also, it's really, really common - and very horrifying! - for all addicts to dream that they are doing whatever it is that they've quit. I can't tell you how many drinking dreams I've had over the years since I quit being an on-my-face drunk, and they still upset the h&&l out of me! Haven't dreamed of smoking yet - so will I dream I'm drinking AND smoking??? UGH!!!!

Off to see the surgeon this morning. I am going to see what he says about my progress.

I did not take the muscle relaxer yesterday. I wanted to be conscious..LOL I did not suffer much. It was a bit painful at night trying to turn but I was fine during the day and I am okay now.

Okay meaning I am not yelling when I move or get up.

I consider that progress!

I am going to ask him if I should continue to take the muscle relaxer or get a lower dose or just soldier thru. I was thinking of taking it in the evening before bed tonite and see what I feel like in the morning. I do not want to be drunk.

This surgery has been something. People have asked me if the surgery worked. I cant answer that question yet. I am still in the healing process. My foot is not curling anymore but it is still numb on one side. I look at that as a good thing..others would not.

I do not know if the numbness on the one side of foot is forever (i will ask about that)..If it is, that is okay. I can still feel it, I can still drive, I can still walk, and I wear slippers around the house to be on the safe side.

I am not in a very good mood right now.

I did not damage my spine. It is most definitely a muscle strain. I have been told (rather bluntly) that I am to stop taking the muscle relaxers and any pain medication. I am to start walking tomorrow for 25 mins a day every other day for a week. Then I am to walk 45 mins a day every other day for a week and then 45 mins a day every day for the rest of my life. Just deal with the pain..you have to suffer to get better is basically what he said.

No treadmills. No gym equipment.

Walking outside or in the mall if it is icy. I am supposed to push thru the pain. I am to lose all my extra weight starting today.

If I do not, I will keep having muscle strains that are worse then this one. I could end up having another ruptured disc or discs. I will most definitely end up having back surgery again in my future.

Please do not help me look on the bright side right now..I am not in the mood for it.

I am in alot of pain right now and I have to just deal with it naturally. Fred was there so you dont have to worry about me..I will be forced into it whether I am up for it that day or not.

Oh, Heidi, how depressing for you to hear this ... :) No optimistic palliatives for you today ... but we'll be here as a very loud cheering section when you get with the program and eventually realize it is working to your benefit. Think how many major changes you have made in the past couple of months. You've weathered rougher spots than this. :lol:

To be told to basically suck it up is not what I wanted to hear today. Of course Fred is acting like he is going to be my drill sergeant. I did not say one word after my appointment. Not one.

I understand that I have to do this..Just in alot of pain right now and the thought of walking any distance makes me cry.

I am going to wallow for awhile because I deserve to. Might as well get in any rest i can because after tomorrow I will be in too much pain to enjoy it for many weeks.