Is there a paper clay tutorial?

Just One More

I don't have any idea how paper clay is done. I'd like to try it on something really small to see if I can do it. The shingles would be a good start. I looked in the tutorials but didn't see anything. I might not be looking in the right section. I was wondering if it is more fragile than other finishes.

Actually working with paperclay is very easy and very forgiving. Why don't you get some and simply play with it? I have used it in a variety of ways and I assure you it was not at all hard. Please don't be afraid to try.

Actually working with paperclay is very easy and very forgiving. Why don't you get some and simply play with it? I have used it in a variety of ways and I assure you it was not at all hard. Please don't be afraid to try.

Does it come in a bag and you mix it or what? I didn't see anything called paper clay at Hobby Lobby. I could try some stairs for my Jeffersons. They are fairly small because it doesn't have much of a foundation. The plaster stairs Ernie has are too high for the Jefferson and kind of pricey but that's the look I want. Could I just make bricks to cover the wood stairs that come with the Jefferson? Once they are dry if all you do is paint them that shouldn't be too big a project for a first try. I have all kinds of acrylic paints and am sure I could mix some brick colors.

It comes in a little black plastic bag. No mixing required. The brand is Creatve Paperclay.

http://www.paperclay.com/

I buy it at Michael's because it is closer than Hobby Lobby. I think Hobby Lobby should have it though.

Using it for bricks on some front steps sounds like a perfect 1st project. Good luck and have fun!

Edited to add that on the link I posted they have little scrolly words under the picture of the package saying that it is now available at Hobby Lobby. In Michael's it is by the poly clay, so I would imagine it would be in about the same place there.

I agree that Paperclay is very forgiving. Just keep working with it, and you'll be able to make it look like brick, stone, plaster... all kinds of things. There's a nice Rik Pierce tutorial in the May 2000 issue of Miniature Collector magazine. That's what I used (along with the many generous tips from the folks on this forum) to make my Glencroft. I used it for shingles, stones, stonework, and bricks in the fireplaces. Even the front yard.

"Paperclay" is just a brand name for air drying modeling clay. The one I use is Prang brand which used to be called DAS. The package is blue and will say Prang and DAS on it. Its a little cheaper than paperclay and I can get it in larger packs. Performs the same.

For covering wood to make brick steps,just spread some of the clay out ,say an 1/8 of an inch and make a brick pattern in it. I used to use a flat head screwdriver to make the brick patterns,but Ive progressed to using a set of clay tools I bought,which are well worth the $7 I paid;) Some people spread a thin layer of wood glue down first,I dont, but you do have to make sure the clay is sticking to the wood,really press it down hard before you start making your pattern. Make the brick pattern before the clay starts to dry.

Wait about 24 hrs. for it to harden,then paint with a light touch. Brown Iron Oxide makes a great brick color. I usually use about 3 different colors for bricks.

I hope I helped,Im happy to help you further if you need it,just IM me. :ohyeah:

Some people spread a thin layer of wood glue down first,I dont, but you do have to make sure the clay is sticking to the wood,really press it down hard before you start making your pattern. Make the brick pattern before the clay starts to dry.

Wait about 24 hrs. for it to harden,then paint with a light touch. Brown Iron Oxide makes a great brick color. I usually use about 3 different colors for bricks.

I hope I helped,Im happy to help you further if you need it,just IM me. :ohyeah:

I just want to comment about using glue on projects. If you want to have your houses continue to look the way they do in the years to come, you MUST use glue to hold the clay onto the wood. Das Clay & Creative Paperclay or even the air dry clay by ALEX does not have and adhesive in it. It will stick for a time to wood or foam core without glue (It will come off as it dries on Gator foam or MDF right away). For something you intend to treasure for years to come is what you want, I suggest the use of glue. If your item is bumped in a spot that may be weak because there was no glue used, you can lose entire walls off of a project. I have seen this happen to a project of a friend of mine who did not use glue. One day I got a call from her and she was totally freaking out saying how much she hates the clay and she wasted her money. After talking to her when she calmed down, she told me she did not use glue. At first she kept insisting she had followed each step I taught her. She re did that side of her house and the bad part is the paint never did match afterwards.

I have been using Creative Paper Clay, Das Clay and Alex air dry clay for years. I do use Creative paper clay the most because of the look I want and DAS does break me out if I use it too long. Das Clay & Alex clay are not paperclay and are a different type of clay that does air dry and can give the same effect as Creative Paper clay. I suggest trying all of the brands to see which one you like the most. They can all create Wonderful works that you'll treasure for years but I suggest the use of glue with all of them. I do use Das Clay & Creative Paperclay brand the most and if you look in my albums, you will never know which ones have which clay on them because they can have the same look. The Alex brand air dry clay dries to fast and you don't have as much work time with it. :(

Ive always wanted to try using paperclay like tracy does but its the painting part that scares me...

Jeffrey, when you get to the painting part, you can send me a PM and I'll help you through it. You are such a giving person on this forum I would be very happy to help you :D

I tried a brand once called "Plus sio-2" its an air dry clay,even more expensive than paperclay, my hobby shop was out of DAS so I had to try it,and it did exactly what Tracy is describing,after it dried it came off the project in chunks. I havent had that problem with paperclay or DAS, but Im sure its best to use wood glue first. The only reason I dont is because it gives me cracks in the clay as the glue dries,and I dont like getting the glue on my hands,and then it gets mixed in with the clay. I think it may have something to do with the thickness of the clay too,as far as its ability to adhere. I get mine pretty thin.

I noticed that Paperclay brand is made with volcanic ash...isnt that interesting? It smells better than DAS which is slightly funky smelling at first. Both dry your hands out terribly,so if youre doing a big project,keep the lotion handy;)

forgot to say, when trying paperclay roof tiles (which is a thicker application of clay) you definitely need wood glue first !

Karin, when you use the glue try spreading it on evenly and then, let it just be tacky, not wet when you add the clay. In some climates (Which is different times of year where I live) it is best to do it that way so that you won't get as many cracks. :ohyeah: let me know if that helps or not.

thanks guys! :ohyeah: when i try it you will hear from me lol im trying to think of which houses i have that could possibly get this kind of finish. worthington?, franklin?, quick build colonial?, something new? hmmmm :(

"Paperclay" is just a brand name for air drying modeling clay. The one I use is Prang brand which used to be called DAS. The package is blue and will say Prang and DAS on it. Its a little cheaper than paperclay and I can get it in larger packs. Performs the same.

I think "crayola" makes about the same thing and in colors too

Wen

Model Magic is the only air-drying clay Crayola makes that I know of, and its properties aren't anything like Paperclay or Das. Model Magic has a spongy texture and a soft, marshmallow quality and is flexible when dry.