Beachy Brookwood

ToyPianista

The beach version of the Brookwood seems very different than the traditional, but my husband really likes the beach version better.

What might be the challenges for a first-timer building the Beachy Brookwood?

The wrap-around upper decking and additional sunroom below it looks tricky, and frankly, I can't figure it out no matter how long I stare into my computer screen like a crystal ball . . .

:)

Anyone . . . ?

post-4885-1257509161_thumb.jpg

I have seen this picture before and wondered what they used to add the additional room. I thought perhaps a RGT conservatory was used, but I am not sure. I love the Brookwood, and it does make a great beach house. I also love it as a cottage or ski lodge.

Yep, they have added an extra room beside the solarium. I would love to do this, but I am not sure what they have done. I am not one of those types that can build an extra room myself, but I was thinking perhaps if I were to buy an addition from a lilliput or a greenleaf cottage, it could be done. I love the Brookwood, but the extra space would be nice.

This looks like a nice house. Just take a deep breath and read the instuctions a few time. Then remember NO HOT GLUE no matter what the instuctions say. I bet the two of you can come up with interesting ideas. That house doesn't seem like it would come with a million pieces so it shouldn't be too hard for someone new to this. Just rememer that we all had to start somewhere so ask any questions and someone on here will have an answer. You can also mark each piece lightly in pencil to keep them straight. I wish that I knew of this place when I built my first house (before I met and married Jeff). You'll do fine. :)

I would have been totally lost if I'd tried to bash my first house build. I had a hard enough time following the instructions! (But I also have issues with spacial relationships and figuring out how to make something look different than it does on the box, so your mileage may vary...)

But! Having instructions to follow would make it easier, and according to the Greenleaf Blog, there are instructions for that bash in Dollhouses to Dreamhouses Book II, which you can buy from Miniatures.com.

Yes, the Beachy Brookwood is featured in the Dollhouses to Dreamhouses volume II. I can't remember how much of the project is discussed in the book--I have it at home, but I am at work. I got the book from miniatures.com (price was very reasonable), and it has a lot of neat builds & bashes on several of the Greenleaf houses. I will see if I can find it when I get home--I don't have the 'net at home, so it may be awhile before I can respond.

Tappy

I would have been totally lost if I'd tried to bash my first house build. I had a hard enough time following the instructions! (But I also have issues with spacial relationships and figuring out how to make something look different than it does on the box, so your mileage may vary...)

But! Having instructions to follow would make it easier, and according to the Greenleaf Blog, there are instructions for that bash in Dollhouses to Dreamhouses Book II, which you can buy from Miniatures.com.

Thank You Very Much ~!

Yes, the Beachy Brookwood is featured in the Dollhouses to Dreamhouses volume II. I can't remember how much of the project is discussed in the book--I have it at home, but I am at work. I got the book from miniatures.com (price was very reasonable), and it has a lot of neat builds & bashes on several of the Greenleaf houses. I will see if I can find it when I get home--I don't have the 'net at home, so it may be awhile before I can respond.

Tappy

Thanks, Tappy - We really appreciate it !

Yes, special spatial relationships are confusing to me, too, but Andy is a geometry wiz, I think <3. Hopefully, he'll figure things our nicely. Thanks for directing us to the Greenleaf Blog !

This looks like a nice house. Just take a deep breath and read the instuctions a few time. Then remember NO HOT GLUE no matter what the instuctions say. I bet the two of you can come up with interesting ideas. That house doesn't seem like it would come with a million pieces so it shouldn't be too hard for someone new to this. Just rememer that we all had to start somewhere so ask any questions and someone on here will have an answer. You can also mark each piece lightly in pencil to keep them straight. I wish that I knew of this place when I built my first house (before I met and married Jeff). You'll do fine. :)

Yes, I can't wait to start "somewhere" ! Thanks for the deep-breathing tips, too :lol:

Yep, they have added an extra room beside the solarium. I would love to do this, but I am not sure what they have done. I am not one of those types that can build an extra room myself, but I was thinking perhaps if I were to buy an addition from a lilliput or a greenleaf cottage, it could be done. I love the Brookwood, but the extra space would be nice.

Thank you, we think the Brookwood has loads of possibilities!

I have seen this picture before and wondered what they used to add the additional room. I thought perhaps a RGT conservatory was used, but I am not sure. I love the Brookwood, and it does make a great beach house. I also love it as a cottage or ski lodge.

cottage or ski lodge ? wow! we're already overwhelmed with possibilities ! Thanks :)

Do you think they used an extra room? The beachy version appears to be the same house with a the bottom window changed to a door. I've seen this picture before, I believe it's in Dollhouses To Dreamhouses, one of those volumes.

Bashing that beautiful three-storey arched window into doors and smaller windows seems like a crime ! (Did I use the word "bashing" properly?) :)

Oh I think I see what you mean, the extra room on the left?

Yes! That extra space would be great! We love Wendy's but when she pet her lovely wicker set in that tiny conservatory-atrium area, I think she even wrote that you can't fit much furniture in there. Hers is absolutely outstanding.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks to me as though you could add a wall between the house and the solarium and put the french doors on it and use the former french door opening downstairs for a picture window, and extend the base towards the left to accomodate the new wall. You could use foam core or 1/8" plywood or even scrapwood from the kit to make the wall and use paperclay or some other medium to do the exterior treatment and to give it extra stability.

• 3 months later...