5/25/06 What inspires You?

Where do you get your inspiration from?

If we're talking making minis, I get inspired from old houses, places I've visited, museums (musea?), magazines (mini & full-scale, like Architectural Digest, etc), books, etc.

The Coventry bash was inspired by DH's paternal grandparents' house in south Georgia. The pub was inspired by a lot of the books I've read, especially The Pickwick Papers. The McKinley I'm building for DS#2's fiancee is inspired in part by William Morris and in part by Patricia King.

I'm inspired by people I see and have to make some of them into dolls.

What's the point of doing the same ol' same ol'?

Latley, not really anything. I have a lot going on with kids, husband work. I was all set to work on my house tonight when Mabyn brought home RoboBaby home from school with her. There is nothing like a screaming mechanical baby tickleing your nerves.

I have lots of ideas for various projects, but don't want to start another until I finish the ones I have got going on.

I got/get my inspiration from movies, books about architecture, museums, travels, the internet, this site :blink: and the place where I live. I'm generally interested in architecture, so this helps to get ideas how to decorate my dollhouses.

I have an internal muse. That's really the only way I can describe it. I can just be going about daily affairs, or dropping off to sleep at night when suddenly my muse hits me upside the head and yells, "HEY! Wake up and listen to this!!" Sometimes she's really chatty and sometimes she's sullen. Most of the time, I'll sit and look at a house or a project till I can see what it wants to be. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't, but if I look at something long enough, I'll eventually see what's inside it. Making it work out the way my minds eye sees it is the hard part.

Deb

I am like Deb. It just pops in my head. That is how it is with dh, painting furniture, cooking. Add a lil this, add a lil that..see what comes out and hope it doesnt kill ya!

I kept thinking the Marquam might be this grand victorian house. Really period.

Then it just hit me. I will NEVER own a house like this in real life. Why dont I paint and decorate it as if it is my own real life victorian.

This will be my obsession! I will now need to find a mini fred, mini heidi, mini chelsea, mini natalie and a mini pinscher!

My inspirations and ideas also come from within. A picture is formed in my mind and I can't turn it off. If I don't work it out it won't go away. Sometimes I can satisfy myself with drawing and making a list of what physical items I'd need to make my creation come to life. But others, have to be worked all the way through .... sometimes successfully and other times I'm left frustrated because I don't have the skills to make my dream a reality.

What has really helped me on this site, is that I've realized that I can learn more skills.

Ray has also taken more notice of my attempts lately, and has offered his help. I'm not good with mechanical/building/electrical stuff. But these skills are needed for me to create some of the stuff in my head.

I also have a very strong aversion to noise. When things are under my control, I live in a very silent world. I don't turn on radios, tvs, computer speakers, vacuum cleaners, electrical tools that have noisy motors.

Through this site, I've also discovered more mediums available for use in my artistic creations.

The day before yesterday, another kit arrived at our house. Ray opened it for me and said "another kit?" .... how many of us have heard that statement before? :blink: He said something along the lines of when is this going to end? I told him "when I do". He replied "where are we going to put it?"

-Susanne

Ew, DH has started asking that one, too.

And really, is there an answer for that? My answer is I don't know ... we'll see ... let's wait until we're finished with it. I think that those are great responses.

-Susanne

For big basic stuff - my head and common sense,

For finer detail - looking at real life and even more from looking at what people, mostly here, have done.

I would think the better modelers rely less on others and give help, but us learners need more help.

Like carols needle work. Now how am I going to get learning needle work past me masculine mates? But that looks neat and personal.

Glen

how am I going to get learning needle work past me masculine mates? But that looks neat and personal.

Same way Roosevelt Grier (former NFL player) did with his needlepoint.

Same way Roosevelt Grier (former NFL player) did with his needlepoint.

Exactly what I was going to refer to :blink::huh: Except I would have said Rosy

Glen I use to cross-stitch a lot. Most of our Christmas ornaments are home made either cross-stitched, hand painted etc. One of the things I have is a cross-stitched pillow with everyone's first initial interspersed with holly or candles etc. that hang on the tree. When youngest SIL first started coming around he would watch me cross stitch these things so I asked him if he would like to learn, he did and he cross-stitched his initial and I helped him make his pillow that hangs on our tree each year.