My Jefferson Has Arrived

Of course, it's a holiday weekend and we are going out camping.... :blink:

So I won't get to start on it until next week. Maybe I'll take the instructions to read through this weekend so I'm already to start. Good news is......my son goes off to camp for a week starting 6/4 and I have the entire week of evenings to myself (hubby works until 9:30) and no season finales or anything good on TV. PERFECT TIMING!

I've got a couple questions for you "seasoned" builders.........

#1 -- I've seen reference to "bashing" a doll house. Can I assume that means to build it in a manner that varies from the original plan? I've got a couple of things that I want to do differently on my Jefferson (ie the stairs to the attic and changing the front roof line and adding a porch -- see next one)

#2 -- I have a picture of how I want my 1860's farm house to look. I've got the story all done for my house because I am a genealogist and want to tie this into my Great-Great-Great Grandparents and their Illinois Dairy farm (they immigrated in the 1850's from Scotland to Kane County, IL). I don't have any pictures of what their house actually looked like, but I can "pretend". My question is: I've been reading about paper clay and using it for a stone look. Here's my picture:

1860_Farmhouse.jpg

I can't wait to get started and share my progress! I've been "shopping" for miniatures and ideas too while I've been waiting.

"bashing" a doll house. Can I assume that means to build it in a manner that varies from the original plan
Yes.

My question is: I've been reading about paper clay and using it for a stone look.

That's the question? The house is gorgeous, look at some of our Tracy's stone & brickwork in paperclay, I believe she has posted somewhere how she paints it so realistically. I may have to "borrow" doing the date in the shingles. I love the plants on the porch!

Oops - forgot to finish my thought!

Question #2 -- I've been reading about the paper clay to give the stone look. Will it work to do it on the outside of the Jefferson to get the look I want in the picture?

I work for a contractor and he has already said changing the roofline to get that peak in the front will be a piece of cake! LOL I love having the shop available for my every whim too!

OK, at the risk of being flamed. That house looks beautiful. But given the quality of some of the work around here.

(sheepishly) is that real or someone’s dollhouse?

Glen-

Not a silly question at all. I had to read through twice to be sure. It is a real house. The brickwork is amazing .... it would be incredible to be able to do paperclay like that on a dollhouse. But it looks like it would be very time consuming. The bricks are very small. Imagine doing it in 1:12.

-Susanne