Has anyone made a Tom's Mill Dollhouse?

minifan

I did the Hampton by Tom's Mill (a basic wallhouse). Was pretty straightforward in construction, and the MDF type board they use is pretty light. But like you Amanda, am lusting after the Rye. And the Salem. And the Dover. (love Craftsman and colonial style houses).

yep. i kept reading and found that they are not even mdf. They're ultra lightweight fiberboard, a lighter weight mdf with no formaldehyde in it. I think if I decide on that house, we will just order the plans and build it ourselves, as we had originally decided to do with this project. it's not that I have anything against mdf, but this stuff just does not sound that durable.

I heard from them very promptly, a nice email. here's what she said about the houses:

"(ultra light MDF and furniture grade white birch for the floors so they can be stained.) You need only, glue (white tacky is best), a hammer, a pencil, and a ruler for assembly. (Certain houses may require a drill and/or screwdriver)"

and:

"Please ask any questions you like. Our houses are strong enough to sit on when assembled. Yes, you can stucco our houses. We take a damp cloth and wipe and wood residue off, add white tacky glue to the stucco and spread on like butter."

I don't know if there are other Tom Mill houses, but that clarifies what the ones from Earth and Tree are. DH and I looked at the house and the plans, and it's just not big enough for what we want, anyway. so back to the drawing board! But i was impressed with the quick response from Earth and Tree as well as the fact that she actually answered all of my questions.

Tom & Keri Berkner owned Earth & Tree, and Tom designed made dollhouse kits up until his untimely death. I'm not sure if one of the sons is making them now, or someone else. Other stores may be marketing the kits, but I don't think Keri carries any other brand of kits. at the store.

I have ordered from them several times and service was great. Last spring when my sis and I took a trip up to Prince Edwards Island and drove up through New England went right past the shop (what a surprise that was!) was able to stop by and visit with them. I bought the Stonehurst Tower kit to build. It is made of a very nice quality mdf and I do not anticipate any problems in the build (except in finding time to do it!)

• 3 weeks later...

I love Earth and Tree. We visit them every once in a while, and they are the nicest, most helpful people. I bought the English Pub (already built) as a gift to myself last year and turned it into my Herb Shop. It was super pleasant to work with, easy to add stucco, thatch, and paint. I loved it.

In fact, I might be going back very soon to search for some good stuff for my current projects. And when I go there, I'll drool over the Nottingham like I always do. :p

• 6 years later...

Has anyone used Earth and Tree's square cut shingles?  I am making the Glencroft.  I am almost finished except for shingling the roof.  The shingles that come with the kit seem so flimsy that I hesitate to use them.  I have shingled another dollhouse (Cambridge by Duracraft) which had wonderful shingles.  They have been on the house for about eight years and still look great.  If you have used the Glencroft shingles did you separate them or use the strips?  Thanks

The houses are MDF on the outside but the floors are ply. I hate to install light tape on mdf!

I buy their 2" wide staircases, unless I am building a grand house it's what I use. These save me the trouble of cutting them down. If you look at it from a RL house perspective, that 1/2" less width is about 5 sq ft.

4 hours ago, genemini said:

Has anyone used Earth and Tree's square cut shingles?  I am making the Glencroft.  I am almost finished except for shingling the roof.  The shingles that come with the kit seem so flimsy that I hesitate to use them.  I have shingled another dollhouse (Cambridge by Duracraft) which had wonderful shingles.  They have been on the house for about eight years and still look great.  If you have used the Glencroft shingles did you separate them or use the strips?  Thanks

I didn't remember shingles coming with my Glencroft, that's why I used black construction paper to simulate roofing slates.  I really love the GL shingles, they are easy to cut to fit nd look terrific when done.

I bought the half-scale Hancock colonial. It was all birch plywood. Nicely cut pieces. But I never put it together. If you are good with wood and cutting, I'd buy the plans and cut your own if you want better wood for the 1:12 version.

2 hours ago, lauker said:

I bought the English Pub shell, which became my herb shop. Very solid wood and fun to finish! I like to visit their shop when I am in the area. :) Total eye candy! (Especially the Nottingham....). :drool2:

The day we visited Kari was just finishing up and installing the door on the Nottingham.  I think that's when I had the "Aha!" moment that I could learn to make my own doors.

• Like 1