And the Workshop Begins!

For the past four years now, we've been building dollhouses in our dining room, and I finally decided I wanted my dining room back! I love the wallpaper in there and wouldn't change it, which I told Jimmy. He and I picked out that wallpaper together [we weren't married then, LOL!], and we picked out the flooring. The dining room and kitchen are all one big area. We picked out the new countertops together, Jimmy sanded down about 15 coats of paint off of the cabinets in the kitchen and refinished those. He replaced the stove/range top and the oven [it's in the wall]. We were both very happy with that room.

Then the doll house bug bit. HARD. And we've not seen that room hardly at all for four years. We haven't used our dining room table, except to build on, and although Jimmy recently knocked out the double windows and put in french doors, we still don't use that area. So, I decided I wanted it back. Jimmy liked that idea.

We went looking around at different buildings over the weekend, but you all do know that Jimmy has to build it himself, right? So he marked off an area 12 X 16 in the backyard, near where our fish pond used to be [racoons kept getting the fish so we finally gave up], and he put in the footings. If you look at where the red arrows are you can see the posts.

post-6-1148950583_thumb.jpg

We went to Home Depot and got some lumber to begin building the floor. Jimmy's carrying the lumber into the backyard.

post-6-1148950611_thumb.jpgpost-6-1148950644_thumb.jpg

Now he's getting his tools out and getting ready to build the floor

post-6-1148950679_thumb.jpg

Then he begins with his floor joists. I got to sit outside and watch him, almost as excited as if we were building a new dollhouse!

post-6-1148950721_thumb.jpgpost-6-1148950733_thumb.jpg

Didn't get enough boards for the joists, so he has to go back for more.

post-6-1148950772_thumb.jpg

[Now listen though, be sure and don't tell Jimmy that once the workshop is done and everything's moved into it that he's gonna have to replace the linoleum in the kitchen/diningroom.]

When we're done, I will have two windows on each side, outlets, shelves for paint, etc. He's going to mount a window unit a/c in the rear and we'll probably have some heaters going on in the winter. It'll have a regular door to go into, a steel door I think, and a light/ceiling fan. I'm very very EXCITED!!!! Oh, and I get to landscape it too!

Hmmmm. Just one little thing, since this is going to be a dollhouse workshop, should there be gingerbread trim on it? Wonder if Mini Man can make gingerbread trim that big ....

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Linda, I'm so excited for you. Please keep us posted of the progress. I was wondering (very briefly)today if I needed to get a new hobby, cause I don't have room to put my dollhouses (and so far I only have 3 built).

Take plenty of pictures the day of the move, it will be interesting to watch the dollhouses being moved to their new home.

Thanks Peggi! I'm very excited too! I just took Chloe outside so that she can see her precious Daddy! She was getting perturbed because she knew he was home but he wasn't in the house with her!

This won't be a place to put dollhouses that are built--but just a place to build dollhouses. It'll hold my paints, wallpapers, houses under construction, etc.

I'll take lots of pix! Jimmy's still out there building, LOL! He's putting more of the things in the concrete for the floor thing. I don't know what they're called.

And if any of you are wondering what that thing is with the red heart painted in it, well, that's my lifeguard chair. When Jimmy put the pool in the backyard, I got him to take down 4 trees, 3 in the backyard and one on the side. Good thing too, because when we had our infamous icestorm, the trees that were taken down would have been the ones to hit the house. Anyway, when they cut down one tree Jimmy had them leave 6 foot of it standing, and he then carved me a lifeguard chair, including cutting a heart in the middle of it. Burned a chain saw blade up cutting that heart too, because that was a BIG tree. Then he painted the inside of the heart red .... Told me that was my lifeguard chair for the pool.

post-6-1148954268_thumb.jpgpost-6-1148954284_thumb.jpgpost-6-1148954308_thumb.jpg

Congratualtions Linda!!! Now that makes THREE houses that you'll have for dollhouses :p (Yeah I am counting ;) ) . That is so wonderful. Please do keep taking pictures as the building process continues! You two are so inspirational!

:lol:

Oh. My. Goodness!

I admired the photos and started laughing because I'd forgotten that real buildings require digging for a foundation and putting in joists and stuff. It was like, "Okay, why isn't Jimmy just gluing the floor to the floor supports?"

Wow. When you're done, I'll know someone who actually eats at a dining table. Your kitchen/dining room are so nice that it really was a shame to keep the dining room as a construction zone.

Definitely, it needs the gingerbread trim... carpenter gothic?

I like the lifeguard chair.

Thanks Holly! I like that too! There's also another "tree art" that he did in my rose garden ...

Oh. My. Goodness!

I admired the photos and started laughing because I'd forgotten that real buildings require digging for a foundation and putting in joists and stuff. It was like, "Okay, why isn't Jimmy just gluing the floor to the floor supports?"

Wow. When you're done, I'll know someone who actually eats at a dining table. Your kitchen/dining room are so nice that it really was a shame to keep the dining room as a construction zone.

Definitely, it needs the gingerbread trim... carpenter gothic?

Thanks Calamari! Carpenter gothic? Tell me more!

I am so happy for you! I just got an old desk from dh's aunt so I have a place to keep the houses while they are being built and I don't have o do it in a week while dh is gone. Know if I can just talk him into enclosing the garage to keep the built ones...

I can't wait to see how your workshop comes out. :lol:

How kewl is the chair!

and how awesome!!

a WORKSHOP!

yipppeeeeyipppeeee

post-9-1148962565.gifpost-9-1148962565.gif

my work shop will look like a small dollhouse complete with ginger bread trim!

of course that is low job on his list o jobs ;)

is that the look you want?

how cute the look to look out on it. a dollhouse for the dollhouses!

great Photos wait till I rub it on Dean....lol.... maybe he will raise and eyebrow! :p

Congrats!! Im so excited for both of you! and better lighting to work with.

yall well do many wonderful things in the new shop!

nutti :lol:

YOu must be soo excited to be able to use the dining room again. For the past 3 years we have had a house in progress on the kitchen table. NOw it is to the point that there is a house on the kitvchen table, one in the living room and one in the laundry room in progress.

I envy your fture ability to use a table as it was intended, LOL

Melissa

Wow. I mean really.......WOW! That is just totally awesome! It has to be the perfect mini heaven. I'm just so happy for you! With as many houses as you build, I don't know how you've done it in a dining room for all this time.

Your backyard looks like a happy family gathering place so having your mini sanctuary there will be just perfect.

Deb

I am so happy for you!

I can't wait to see how your workshop comes out. :)

Thanks Shaky!

Congratualtions Linda!!! Now that makes THREE houses that you'll have for dollhouses ;) (Yeah I am counting ;) ) . That is so wonderful. Please do keep taking pictures as the building process continues! You two are so inspirational!

:p

No no. This workshop won't display built houses, it'll be only for dollhouses under construction.

my work shop will look like a small dollhouse complete with ginger bread trim!

of course that is low job on his list o jobs :(

is that the look you want?

nutti :lol:

Not yet sure how I want the outside to look, but he tells me I get to paint it, LOL! Be sure and tell Dean that Jimmy hooked up his floodlights and was even outside in the dark building.

YOu must be soo excited to be able to use the dining room again. Melissa

Most definitely! Even if I don't "use" it, at least I'll be able to look at it, LOL!

Your backyard looks like a happy family gathering place so having your mini sanctuary there will be just perfect.

Deb

Thanks Deb! I'm already thinking about the landscaping for it too ....

Linda, it looks great! Chris has been busy marking off space for his workshop --and I love the chair! Jimmy is really talented. I have alot of work to be done to my workshop--so I know how excited you are!Great pics!

Thanks Lisa! I love the chair too, and most people get a kick out of it when they see it. That and what I did with the horse chair in the backyard.

Melissa, hmmm, that does present a problem. Since the footings have been cemented into the ground, I can't even knock it on it's side to paint it! Jimmy says I can lay on my back, or he can rig a contraption to hang me upside down to paint. I think I'll pass.

Your new work shop is going to be great! How wonderful to have a building dedicated solely toward building dollhouses and all supplies in one place. How lucky you are and what a great husband you have to build it for you. :lol:

Linda,

How on earth are you going to turn it upside down to paint it?

Melissa

heheheheheheheeheee <cackle, snort> hehehehehehhehee

Deb

What a dedicated man! He's rigged up his lights and is working in the dark!

post-6-1149563270_thumb.jpg

I do believe he's ready to start laying the floorboards, or whatever they're called.

post-6-1149563332_thumb.jpg

He's gotten started on the walls. And of course there's a tree in the way ....

post-6-1149563387_thumb.jpg

Putting up the back framing, and that's where it was when I left for the other house.

post-6-1149563423_thumb.jpg

Not much got done over the weekend, because Jimmy was on call, it was extremely hot (meaning a/c's were breaking), and it rained. But, he got some siding up and one of my windows in.

post-6-1149563500_thumb.jpgpost-6-1149563515_thumb.jpgpost-6-1149563554_thumb.jpg

BTW, Jimmy is creating this out of his head. He doesn't have a kit and is designing it himself. He has informed me that my birdhouse and clematis vine are going to have to be moved ...

post-6-1149563603_thumb.jpg

I think he wanted to have it finished in time to move the dollhouse stuff in there before the wedding, so that we can put the diningroom back together. Not sure if he's going to make that goal though.