Freecycle No More

Lynette Smith

I just unsubscribed to Freecycle's email list. It's not that I have anything against to concept - I got some lovely flowers which I planted in the yard over the last summer. I gave away tatting thread and apricots from my tree. I had a few no shows, but since I wasn't put to any personal inconvenience, it doesn't matter.

Three things got to me: first the ratio of people asking for high ticket items to those offering typical useful items, second is how few people would respond to an email request about an item, and third: finding 2000 new email in my box.

The number of requests for items which I wouldn't expect anyone to give away was staggering - from hot tubs, functional cars, specific newer electronic items, to new(ish) furniture. If I had such items I would donate them to organizations to help needy people. I know a guy on freecycle who gathers all the junk and sells it for his personal benefit, which has soured me on the program, especially in light of the high end requests.

But what drove me away was logging onto my email and discovering 2000 new email,95% of which were all freecycle. I stopped checking my email and missed important communications with people I know and love. The fortitude to muddle through that many messages was hard to muster. I thought I had unsubscribed a couple of weeks ago only to check my email and find over a thousand new messages.

I know some of you have had amazing finds - i just can't handle it. :) Am I alone?

Nope, you're not alone, Lynette. A friend got me into Freecycle in Marysville, WA almost three years ago and I did get some useful household things from it, and gave away some useful stuff that just wasn't useful to me anymore. Then I had a couple of furniture items, in good shape, that I needed to get rid of because I was moving. All I got out of putting those items up to give away was a LOT of crank eMails and a couple of people who wanted me to deliver the things - a dresser and a daybed/sofa. Excuse me, I thought the idea was that YOU went to pick whatever up?? Not to mention I don't have a vehicle of any sort.

And yes, I got totally disgusted with the amount of "I wants" that were for high-ticket stuff, and I, too, hate having my eMail box stuffed with nonsense.

It really is such a good idea, too, and such a shame it's been spoiled by greedy people.

I made sure in the beginning that I only had the administrative email box checked off in Yahoo groups. That way, they only emails I get are from the people that run a certain group..if they need to send out some important information.

I am also sick of the greed. I NEED a new tv, xbox360, Wii, car for work, flat screen tv (yes I have seen that one)..etc etc

I poke around there once in awhile. Not much like I used to.

Same Here... The greed is awful!!! I have never in my life seen so many people that want the best of the best from a group that is not that.! It really makes me sick. I have stopped the group as well, and I dont intend to rejoin. I hate the idea of sending stuff to the thrift store, they sell it and make $$ from it.!! But it is much better that way I guess... It helps the less fortunate.!!

I got 3 very nice pair of jeans from the thrift store the other day.!!and a DOLLHOUSE!!!

Kellee

ditto, ditto, ditto....I too unsubscribed and only after about a two week period. Unbelieveable the number of people who want to stand with their hand out for items that the rest of us work for and equally unbelieveable are the people who want the high end items for nothing. Do they even say "THANK YOU" afterwards? Who raised these people....a pack of wolves??????

...sending stuff to the thrift store, they sell it and make $$ from it.
Well, let's see... after paying rent & utilities on the store space plus storage for donations, in the case of Goodwill there are wages & payroll taxes & minimal benefits for the workers (usually clients) who aren't volunteers plus the rent & utilities on their training center plus all the housing they provide for their clients who need it; for our charity thrift stores the money goes into their constant expenses (the children's home; the battered women's shelter...). I don't think twice about donating to thrift stores in our area, since I know where the money goes around here.

I am getting sick of the wanted ads for freecycle. I have also seen people saying they NEED big electronic stuff. I have also put a wanted ad up and gotten spam email back. I was thinking of unsubscribing as well. I literally have to check my email 5 times a day to keep the messages from being over 500 a day.

I guess a lot of people will try to get ANYTHING for free.

Boy am I glad I read this. I have been thinking about putting something out there on Freecycle. My parents bought a home organ many years ago and it still works, one "voice" setting doesn't and 2 keys. It also has some damage on the screen over the speaker area thanks to the kitties we had growing up and some of the veneer has peeled off during moves.

Hey, I'll just have the people come pick it up when I have them pick up the bed that dh decided to replace. It's a thrift store that profits a domestic violence shelter.