Um...Can you say snow?

minifan

It is snowing..again. There are no accumulations posted so I think this will just be a fluffy fall..but that is we thought of yesterdays snow and that added 4 inches to what we already had.

I had/have plans today with Natalie! Grrrr! Plus it is cold as a bears backside out there!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a stiff wind all night. It has been snowing again and we have another six to eight inches. The temp is now 8.4 degrees. When the dogs come tell you they need to go out to visit their favorite tree you have to laugh! When faced with the elements they turn around and go hide. Even the golden who loves to be out side will not go out.The other two just look at you in disgusted when you try to urge them to go out.

The guy who does our plowing finally showed up and did our shared drive with the neighbor. Living on the highest point in the valley gives us great views, but the snow and wind during the winter can be really a mess. Anyone remember our giant tree limb through the bedroom wall a couple of years ago? Or the Valentine snow storm a few years back when we got snowed in for better then a week>. (Picts in my Photo Album)

I know Wolfie gets more snow and lives in a more remote area and must be laughing at our piddling storms so I guess I really should not complain!!! lol!!!!

I am a stubborn one.

Fred, Nat and I went out to the store. She went in by herself and got herself her pants. Then we went to the grocery store and I walked around while they found everything.

It felt good to get out of the house!

I am going to make easy oven bbq chicken wings, tossed salad, and I bought a baguette for dinner tonite.

The snow has stopped. The roads were fine except when you have to go after you stopped..a bit slippery going again. It was a nice morning out.

We got an additional foot of snow last night into this morning. We shoveled for 2 hours this morning,and now my back is screaming at me. So we are staying in and making some homemade baked beans. :)

Greg, you gotta do what Fred and I have done. We set aside money in the house. When we get a ferryboat load of snow..we hire the neighborhood kids to do it. $30 and the cars, walkway, and front steps are shoveled out when we had the blizzard.

Then you can make some cocktails and just watch the work being done. :lol:

Snow has finally stopped and the sun is out. Not enough to plow but it was enough to make the streets slippery.

False alarm. We get intermittent big flakes, then it all stops and it becomes intensely cold. This is the strangest year in the entire time I've lived here. There hasn't been a visible snow fall yet, and this is Jan 3! Will the snow stay till june when it comes, I wonder? Scary!

Okay, I woke up this morning and there was about 4-5 inches of new snow on the road. Normally, a few inches wouldn't be a huge problem, but it's so cold that nothing's melting. Add in the Southwestern PA hilly geography and you've got snow days. I was really shocked this morning when I woke up. I heard that schools were delaying, but it was for the wind chill. First day back to work after the New Year and I had to call off. What a way to begin the year.

We're enjoying (?) the intense cold. It is +3 F right now. Low last night -4) The furnace is going full bore most of the time but can't overcome the cold radiating off the walls. Makes me think we need some large tapestries to hang agains the chill as they did in the castles. And a chat with the local home store about the possibility of further insulating this 69-year-old frame house.

So far today we have got another couple of inches or so and it is still coming down fairly "well"... Since it is cold allready it is staying so we'll see how fun it will be going over to the house later on today. Have been out running errands earlier, and it was an experience since most roads aren't cleared yet and with the wind it makes it hard as well as the snow comes in sideways and shifts around.

Hugs

Aren't we about due for another mini-Ice Age? The last one was in the 1770s, wasn't it? The sun is up & the chill is radiating in from the windows! Kathie, I'm with you on those tapestries! Our poor little heat pump is freezing its coils off!

Aren't we about due for another mini-Ice Age?

I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday! I watched that on the History channel but I forgot how long it lasted. That was when Washington was trying to cross the Delaware. It was never that cold in December until that time.

This reminds me of the winters when I was a kid. In the 1970s. When you went ice skating at the local pond. I remember having frozen toes in the local Dunkin Donuts while drinking my hot cocoa.

Just got back home again from the house and we got 4.5 inches of snow at this place as well and it is still coming down a little... Since the temp is still well below freezing I suppose it is here to stay... Oh well, it is gorgeous to look at from inside.

Hugs

Okay, I'm going to get stoned for this, but I hope the temperature stays cold for a little bit longer. Why? I'm sick of Lake-Effect snow! Everyday it's the same forcast of a few inches overnight. We're stuck in the Groundhog Day cycle where everyday's forcast is the same exact as the day before. They keep giving reports on the news about how much more Lake Erie needs to freeze to stop the Lake-Effect snow. It took me 20 minutes to go to work this morning when usually it takes 5 minutes.

And tomorrow they forcast more snow during the day.

I'm with you Jokelly, I wish Lake Erie would just freeze and get it over with. This 3 or 4 inches a night is terrible. If it would stop snowing long enough to get all theses hills cleared it wouldn't be so bad, but the way it is now just trying to get anywhere is treacherous. I've had enough! I'm starting to have fond memories of the melting muddy slush we have in March!

I'll tell you what, y'all can have our sub-freezing temperatures that are killing our citrus crops 'way down in Central & S FL & y'all can have Lake Erie frozen solid enough to drive back & forth to Canada until midsummer!

The snow is falling. It is supposed to keep on falling until 6 pm tomorrow, 5-6 inches of it. Tomorrow morning the strong winds will arrive and the high for the day will be 0 F. Story in today's local daily: town commissioners hear from roads people that they will not begin clearing roads until the wind stops blowing the snow, maybe Friday morning.

The school buses will not be able to negotiate the country roads Thursday and Friday. MoDoT is telling motorists not to drive unless it's an emergency. But ... has our school district taken the cue and closed school for tomorrow and Friday? Nope. Go figure.

They'll probably wait until 6 am to do what they could be doing right now and giving parents a chance to make other arrangments.

Edit: Glory be, they made the decision Wednesday night, so we had some warning.

I'm not having snow (although they're calling for it tonight), but I am having freezing temps. Sunday morning it was 6 degrees, Monday morning I had 9 degrees, Tuesday I had 11, Wednesday I had 10 and this morning I had 17 degrees. Problem is, my water is frozen, so I have no water.... It will unfreeze during the day, but it freezes back up overnight. You all have no clue just how much I would LOVE a long hot shower....