Um...Can you say snow?

minifan

Frozen water? I hate frozen water! The drain froze in the shower at my old house in PA one winter, on account of it was above an overhang, and we had a power outage during the night so the furnace wouldn't kick in.

Ever try to melt ice in a shower drain? I just kept pouring hot water into my shower once the power was on again. After a while I dried the floor and put a lamp with a 100 watt bulb in there to heat the shower space some more. It worked. By evening I had a working shower again.

As for snow.

No, I can't say snow now. I know snow will come now and then, but know now, no snow for me.

Besides...it's all over the place and will probably remain so till at least mid March.

I wish DH had thought to chop up some more firewood and bring it into the garage, it's all covered in snow now.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's warmer today (26 on the back porch), so might get to 40s by this afternoon, when the rain arrives, and then back to low teens tonight and the local meteorologists don't want to say the "S" word.

Linda, when the water thaws during the day, turn it on an leave it running slowly. It won't refreeze at night if it's running. Not full on, just a trickle will do it.

Our water froze up last week. Luckily, it warmed up, went to about 35F, and unfroze the next day so we keep it at a slow trickle. We haven't seem temperatures above freezing since.

Well, tonight they're forcasting 3"-5" of snow tonight with 1"-3" more tomorrow. I've lost count of the amount of snow we've gotten this month. It's perpetually snowing it seems.

Guess what it is doing right now outside?

Snowing. It is a light snow though. Forecasters say dusting-2 inches. I hope we are on the dusting end of it! LOL I have things to do today and I do not want to be forced to stay in.

It is going to be colder tomorrow (in the 20s) but after that we are in for a good January thaw. Probably only last for a few days but it will be a nice break.

Linda, when the water thaws during the day, turn it on an leave it running slowly. It won't refreeze at night if it's running. Not full on, just a trickle will do it.

Did all that--it didn't work. Still froze up because it's just so cold....

15 degrees with some snow and ice this morning....

Sam Champion kept going on about snow being forecast for Orlands this weekend. I hope not, the citrus farmers are having a harenough time fighting the freezing weather! No snow here, but we're a lot closer to open water here, being only about 40-60 miles from the Gulf.

Holly, the snow could be a good thing .. it insulates the plants against the deeper cold that will burst their little cells and keeps any ground warmth right where the strawberry plants need it.

We're snowbound today. We didn't get the five inches forcasted, but we got enough to cancel all the area schools and keep the salt trucks on the road. There is forcasted 1"-3" additional inches today. I'm not going anywhere for anything today. The one day I could sleep in and I've been up since early this morning. I might go and take a nap. The only other thing I have to do is cleaning, which needs desperately done, and putting away the Christmas tree, but a nap seems more important right now.

The citrus farmers have already sprayed the trees with water to freeze over & insulate the fruit like little igloos. We're looking at overnight temps above freezing by the end of next week, MAYBE.

We had ice pellets coming down this morning, about a half-inch accumulation on top of packed, melted and re-frozen snow - NASTY! I'm now watching a radar map of a winter storm moving into our area, and it's loaded with oranges and reds. We could be getting up to 8 inches tonight, including more freezing rain at the beginning and end of this storm.

Glad I don't need to go anywhere this weekend!

As a southern girl, I have to say I am really sick of the freezing weather. It is going to be in the 20s at night and 40s during the day for the next week. We arent used to having this many cold days in a row. I really do not want to see my electric bill next month because my heat is running almost non stop.

So is mine, we just generally don't have this cold this early in the winter. i've scarcely left the house this week, and won't today. DIL2 has to work this morning. They are opening the surgical office on Saturday morning for lap-band weekly checkups. Seems they have so many right now they can't get them all checked during the week. So we will babysit this morning. That's tough when the kids can't get out, they usually go straight from the front door through the house and out to the back yard! At least she only has to work Sat. mornings once every 6 weeks, as the nurses are rotating turns doing it.

Our gas bill for this past month came yesterday. It is twice last month's bill. It is partly because we weren't turning the furnace down at night for most of December; Lloyd was constantly chilled because of his bleeding problem and sleeping semi-vertically in the recliner in the living room. And partly because of the cold ... the poor thing is running frequently to keep up. [Edit: the furnace is running, not Lloyd .. :p ]

Usually the most cold weather we get is two weeks' worth, one day here & another day or two there; THIS is ridiculous! At least the repairman showed up & fixed what was wrong with the oven so I can bake again! Our poor little heatpump can only actually HEAT to 50 degrees and can't do that much when it's so far below freezing here (which none of us are used to!); this, for crying out loud, is why we came back home to Florida to get away from!!!

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and the temp was 11 degrees in south central Virginia!

Can you say where is the heat in the word heatpump? Useless machine at these temperatures. It was 57 inside my house! I am running straight electric now trying not to freeze. My Dec bill was twice last month and 33% higher than last year because they keep raising the rates. I miss my woodstove! I am colder here than I was in Buffalo! Ridiculous!

Whimps!!!! lol!!!The temp here is 6.5 degrees at 12:00. Seriously, I can really understand your frustration. Even our snowbunny retriever does not spend any time outside. Enough already!!! More snow due in the next 24 hours.

I have loaded some picts in my gallery album of the landscape around the house. They were too big to include here.

It was still below freezing at 1:00 PM, give me a break, this is Savannah for goodness, we never stay below freezing all day.

My mother had a heat pump and when it was really cold, it never would keep that house warm enough, thats why I have always had gas to electric, I prefer gas but this house only came total electric and we use our fireplace in the evening. The cat has a rug in front of the fireplace, he loves having a fire in the fireplace.

it's -9 up here in Maine right now and the sun is shining. :giggle: Anyone up for a swim? :p

Ummmm..No.

It is 13 deg F down here in CT.. Nanny Nanny boo boo. ROFL

I want to change the thermostats when we have a bit of a warm up but it has not come yet!! Flurries in the forecast later this week but nothing big..yet.

Let us all pray for Fred...Let us pray for snow on January 16. That is the day of his Mother`s convoluted birthday party. Fred does not want to go because there are going to be words said...remember that whole money/sister/party thingy?

Well, he wont go if it snows. So let it snow let it snow let it snow!

yeah..just enough snow to stop him from driving on I-95 at night. That wont be hard.

I want Spring!

19_12_21---Daffodils_web.jpg

I learned something yesterday..Our Jeep GC is so old that she does not like the winter. If you do not warm her up all the way..she will scream when you drive her..LOL I went to pick up Indian food last night and did not have her warmed up completely (only for 5 mins or so) and she yelled off and on the whole way there and back.

She will scream until she is warmed up.

So either I have to warm her up 15 min before hand OR she is strictly a Spring/Summer/Fall vehicle.