Um...Can you say snow?

minifan

My "volunteer" paperwhites are now parchment-brown... We're taking off Monday for a week at the campground at Torreya State Park, about 40 miles from us, on the Appalachicola River, just to get out in the woods and do some hiking and, if the weather will cooperate, some paddling & bike-riding as well. The hiking is spectacular along the river, and it's the only other place in the world besides somewhere equally remote in Asia where Torreya trees grow.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paula, it's heading our direction within a few hours. I'm off from work today and tomorrow. Already run my errands to the grocery store and A C Moore. Now settling in and waiting for the flakes to start. Still a few degrees too warm, but by sundown the changeover should be snow!

Bought flank steak to marinate and potatoes for au gratin. Christopher marinates the steak in ginger/light rum/soy sauce/scallions/fresh grated ginger. This is always yummy browned lightly in the skillet and sliced thin. Jim is ready for Spring and asked for gin and tonics before dinner, so had to add package store to errands. I told him it wouldn't stop the snowflakes from arriving.

I have the afternoon to start a mini project: His/Hers Hobby bookends. I found some fun scrapbook paper at ACM to wallpaper each side.

Snow in Atlanta too! I live south of Atlanta, and it's supposed to harder here than in the city and mountains, for once. It just started about 30 minutes ago, and is slowly starting to stick to the porches. School was out all day today so the kids missed their Valentine's parties and dances, and thye are out all next week on a break. But my boys could care less about Valentine's. But, school employees were out too because it was forecast to start muc earlier, around 9am, instead of the 1:30 it really was. We were joking that apparently snow is not a requirement for a snow day.

Hopefully things will be okay to still go to the mini show tomorrow!

Send it all our way please. Montana is snow deprived this year. It all went south and east........ We have less than a foot on the ground when we should have 5 to 7 feet.

Send it our way too! We have bare ground! No moisture in almost two months!

I have been super busy with the emergency services over the past few days. We got a total of 36.8 inches of snow in Feb. so far. There is just no place to go with it ! :welcome: The enclosed photo was taken at the other end of our county. It was not as bad in our town, but it was not nice !!

Steve in PA

post-1188-1266079187_thumb.jpg

Last Friday I posted about a getting 10"-12" of snow, well...multiply that by three and that's what we got. Western PA got socked and 30+ inches of snow. It's the fourth worst snow storm in history, but many are saying the worst because of the damage. I haven't been living at home since last Saturday. We lost power last Friday (2/5) and just got it back last night...a week later. There are still 18,000 people with no power. I live with my dad out in the country only about a mile from town, but it's on top of a huge hill ravine-like hill. We couldn't get out and my dad takes oxygen and was running out. We had three different groups trying to rescue us. The local snow plow couldn't make it, the state snow truck broke down and even 911 couldn't make it up the hill. My uncle works for the fire company and the state wouldn't let anyone up our hill because of all the trucks getting stuck. Finally, around 5pm on Saturday they opened it up and my dad's girfriend's son was able to make it up in the four-wheel drive truck, but he almost got stuck, too. We've been staying at her house for the week. Our water is frozen and another storm scheduled for Monday say we're staying through Monday. My sister and her family live a mile up the road from us and they just moved back in to their house last night.

There were two worst things about the snow. First, it was so heavy that trees are down everywhere. Our car was trapped by two trees and we have them down all over the property. When snow wasn't pulling down lines the trees were. It was like hearing constant gunshots because of trees breaking in the woods Friday and Saturday. We had in the Pittsburgh area over 300,000 people households without power. Everybody either was staying with someone else because their power was out or having someone stay at their house because they had power. Schools closed all week and some are already closed for Monday.

The second worst thing was we had another storm Wednesday that piled another 10 or more inches on us on top of the two feet from Saturday. Everyone is depressed because the roads are horrible, some still don't have power from last week, and there is nowhere to park because of all the snow. The National Guard is around helping getting to people and plowing, but the forcast calls for more snow on Monday, maybe...depending on the track of the storm, and no increase in temperature to melt snow we have now. Everyone is also scared of a quick warm up, which will cause flooding, something that is common in western PA with all the rivers and tributaries.

Tomorrow's my birthday. We're going to try to go out to dinner, but first we have to call around because some businesses aren't back running yet. It's just depressing. I'm ready for Spring to be here. Maybe by then I'll be living back home again.

Jokelly, I hope you made it out for your birthday dinner. This snow has really taken a toll on us. Everyday it's shovel, shovel, shovel.You never know if you're going to be able to get out of the driveway. I don't live as rural as you but we have over 30" in our driveway. Even the snowblowers can't handle it. We were one of the lucky ones, we never lost power, it just flickered a few times. But we have oil heat and are just about out of oil, and they can't deliver it because they can't park the trucks on the street to pump. We are almost out of firewood, and no one has any that isn't under 30 or more inches of ice and snow.

My aunt passed away this week-end and I'm on my way to the funeral, I'm packing a bag of extra clothes,just in case. It's only a 15 mile trip,but the last time they said 6-8" we got 20, so I'm not taking any chances, I'll stay at my fathers if I have to.

I can't wait for spring, but I'm not looking forward to the floods that I know we are going to get.

I survived!

I woke up to snow this morning but after that the skies were clear the rest of the day, The snow was melting.

Chelsea went downtown for her birthday tattoo. It actually took four hours instead of the two that was estimated (he only charged her for two hours because she is a regular and it was her bday).

So I am at home waiting for her to tell me when she is done. All of a sudden it starts sleeting. Really hard like rain. I get in the car and go downtown to get her. She was not done.

Then it snowed.

Dang!

I was internally freaking because I would have to drive down our hill. Well we survived. I got over my fear of driving down the hill when it is icy (last time the car spun around) and we made it home safe.

Funny part...the plow came behind us five minutes later! LOL

So it was about another two inches of ice and slush. Glad Fred took the Jeep to work because it will be slick tonite.

I survived!

I woke up to snow this morning but after that the skies were clear the rest of the day, The snow was melting.

Chelsea went downtown for her birthday tattoo. It actually took four hours instead of the two that was estimated (he only charged her for two hours because she is a regular and it was her bday).

So I am at home waiting for her to tell me when she is done. All of a sudden it starts sleeting. Really hard like rain. I get in the car and go downtown to get her. She was not done.

Then it snowed.

Dang!

I was internally freaking because I would have to drive down our hill. Well we survived. I got over my fear of driving down the hill when it is icy (last time the car spun around) and we made it home safe.

Funny part...the plow came behind us five minutes later! LOL

So it was about another two inches of ice and slush. Glad Fred took the Jeep to work because it will be slick tonite.

I'll drive in snow any day of the week before I'll drive on ice. I lived at the top of a switchback hill and they had just paved our road (it had been gravel). One morning I got up and left at 5am to get to work and drove down the road like normal. Put my brakes on to make a turn and....kept right on going forward. Well, I backed up, made the turn, and when the next turn came up, I started braking way ahead of time and practically slid into the trees across the road. So, thinking my brakes had gone out, I stopped and got out and almost went down on my butt. The ice was covering the tar road and you couldn't even see it because it was so clear - but it was at least 3 inches thick. I turned around and went back home - no way was I going to try that hill!

It is snowing...again. It was gorgeous for the past 3 days. Sunny and in the 50s. Fred and I went out for a walk (Yay!) and that will be the last one until the ice melts.

Going to snow all week I read. Yuck!

We stayed over an extra day at the campground at Torreya State Park because of yesterday AM's RAIN! It rained the weekend before we went, so our campsite got moved because the one we picked sight unseen was halfway underwater! We couldn't hike the Torreya Trail around the Gregory House because the riverside section was underwater, so we hiked from the campground to the side trail to the house.

The next day we hiked from the campground to the Torreya Trail going the other direction to the Gregory House, about twice as long and lots of steepheads & ravines to climb.

The next day we hiked the Garden of Eden Trail at the Nature Conservancy, it was mushy in spots, but we were able to navigate the 65% grades without skiing or sliding on our butts in the mud.

We took off Friday and spent the day in Marianna. My favorite thrift shop had a Nordic stove-top waffle iron that apparently had only been used once. I found some wonderful neckties for upholstery.

Saturday we hiked the Torreya Challenge Trail, a 6-mile loop around another section of the park to the North of the original trail & park that blew out my legs. We saw a half dozen does & fawns.

Sunday we hopped in the truck and went exploring Camel Lake Campground in the Appalachicola National Forest.

When the rain let up yesterday we took another hike out the Weeping Ridge Trail, since the rain had reactivated the waterfall. We came home this AM. More RAIN forecast for tomorrow, then back into the 20s; this whole past week the days were gorgeous and freezing cold or else pouring rain.

We had 3 inches yesterday morning but most of it was gone by late afternoon. however, they are predicting more tomorrow and Friday and then again on Sunday! This is just unbelievable for us, we usually have a very cold, but dry winter.

We just got hit with 2 feet.... 2 feet at the with less than a week left in Feburary, we are expecting 2-4inches today and another big storm on Thursday-Friday. As much as another foot. My arms are so tired of shoveling I can barely type....lol I'm just so tired of snow.

We've not been troubled by snow, but the below normal temps are a pain and will continue for several days. Our furnace went out sometime in the night. Temp in here is 51 F ... repairman is at work in the basement. Brrrrrrr :hmm:

Rain came through at lunchtime and the temps have droppedc toward 30s... This is FLORIDA! for pity sakes! When my feet began to warm up I discovered the reason one of my toes has been exceeding sore since hiking has no skin on part of it, and the wool socks I'm wearing to keep them warm aren't so comfy. At least I know now to slather lots of Body Glide on the tops of my toes, too, from now on.