Need advice about new neighbors

heidiiiii

We have new neighbors down the street. They moved in the day of the blizzard (just before it started). No one on the street has met them yet but they have left a calling card.

Their daughter walks their beagle. She walks it into our yard and lets it go number two on our front walkway..and then leaves it there.

I know it is their dogs deposit because the only other dog on the street is a german sheppard and he is trained.

I saw her getting ready to walk the dog this morning so I went out on the front porch and waited for her to come closer. But she saw me and dragged the dog back into her yard.

Advice??

Do I leave a note?

How do I tell them to stop allowing their dog to go to the bathroom in my yard (it is on a leash so it is not like it is roaming and doing this)? I want to do it in such a way that does not leave bad blood.

Cause I almost stepped in it last night and if I wanted to be mean..I would leave a big sign in my yard. ROFL

I want to do this the right way first.

Thank you!

(for the record..we have had many many dogs. We never let them go potty in anyone elses yard, if the did..we cleaned it)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, boy, this is a sticky one (pun intended). My first impulse is the nasty one, but of course you don't want to start a feud right off the bat or at all if you can help it.

I'm thinking maybe a "neighborly" visit to welcome them to the neighborhood, if you have a neighborhood watch going that would make a good excuse to drop in, and with maybe a casual mention that everyone else in the neighborhood is considerate with their pets and always clean up after them? And BTW, do you need help figuring out where the best stores etc. are?

Good luck, Heidi - they're not starting off all that well, sad to say - or at least the daughter isn't!

They are not at all..The funny part of this scenario is the city dog catcher lives on the street. So all I have to do is knock on his door and point out the poo problem.

Oh I was mad. I wanted to scoop it up with my shovel and dump it on their front walkway. It belongs to them! ROFL But I will be nice..until i cannot be anymore.

There was a similar problem in a neighborhood I lived in 20 years ago - this couple with the world's most obnoxious Shitzu never, ever cleaned up after this little monster (barked all the time, no manners or training whatsoever). They lived right across the street from me - and I was SO glad I had a fenced yard! - and one morning I heard him swearing, raving and ranting. He'd gone out with the dog and found an absolutely HUGE pile of piles left right at the base of his mailbox. I just about laughed myself sick - and, no, it wasn't me who made the offering! The random deposits in other people's yard did stop, though. :p

You're artistic, Heidi. How about a sign in your yard near the sidewalk: 'Dog deposits in this yard will be returned to the donor'. That way, they'll get the idea without you having to confront them directly. Sometimes it's best to avoid confrontation with a neighbor until you're sure how they will react. As you said, no sense getting off to a bad start. They may not know their daughter is doing this, anyway!

You know, I always find that being direct and honest with people is usually the most effective way.

To bad she ran from you today. Wait for her next time and if she starts heading the other way just call her over to you and tell her that she cannot have her dog pooping in your yard without her picking it up religiously! Ask her if she needs to talk to her parents about this as well.

I would think that anyone, even a complete idiot would understand how rude and disrespectful that is, especially after you verbalise it.

Me? I would be out there asking "What the F&*% do you think you're doing beeotch!?

lol

A friendly way would be to bop on over to the neighbors' house with a box of plastic baggies and let your neighbor know they're for the daughter to use to put the poopies in after the pup is done, rather than leaving them in your (or any other neighbor's) yard. If things turn ugly, you could also mention that one of the neighbors is the dog catcher (don't tell them which neighbor) and you're just being neighborly, and leave.

I'd go with what Holly said, maybe the daughter is guilty and not the parents, or at least pretend you think it's just that the daughter is responsible.

I used to get furious at our old house when I found deposits on my front lawn, especially since I had a baby who used to love to crawl around in the grass. Our backyard was all woods, no grass. One day as I was coming back from a walk, I happened to be behind a neighbor and his son walking their dog. As we neared my house I was pleased to hear the son say to his father that he never let their dog anywhere near our yard because it looked so nice.

Mary reminded me of the other dog on that street, which wandered all over and poo-ed where he wished....grrrrr. My next door neighbor told me that one day the woman on the other side of her came home to find her front door open and the dog in her house and a big pile of poo under her kitchen table. Not long after that the people who owned the dog found a big pile of poo on the hood of their car. The dog was reined in for a while after that.

Thank you so far all. I was thinking of making a sign before it was mentioned. I really hope that it is the girl and not her parents. She probably does not want to have to pick it up. I already know her schedule. 8am in the morning and 5pm at night. I will put up the sign and hope I can get to talk to her. If that does not work, I will leave a nice note.

Last resort will be to walk over to the dog wardens house and he can give them a visit.

I wouldn't put up a sign just yet. It may be that she got the message already, or she wouldn't have turned away when she saw you. I'd wait. If it happens again, then maybe a sign, but I do think a personal visit would be better. These folks may be the nicest on the block when you get to know them. I suspect it may just be that they came from a place where this wasn't an issue or that their daughter isn't doing what she's supposed to be doing. Take 'em some cookies. :p

I know of another biker who had that problem. He scooped it up with a plastic bag, and went to the owner's front door. When the guy answered my friend smeared the stuff in his face and shouted, "bad dog!" He didn't find any surprises in his yard after that.

I live in an apartment complex that has a designated dog walk area deliberately located away from the parking lot and any apartment entrances for obvious reasons. When a neighbor started walking his dog in front of my apartment I did confront him. We don't live in a sewer and I have two small children who will get sick if that stuff gets tracked into the carpet, so I made it clear to the guy. I know most people aren't confrontational, but I'm not shy when it comes to infringing my right to stepping outside my residence without walking into biohazardous waste.

I think that THIS is the clue to how to handle the situation:

...I want to do it in such a way that does not leave bad blood...I want to do this the right way first...
I do feel that the sign is impersonal. After all, the girl let her innocent little beagle let loose in your yard; I really believe the personal, friendly appearance (Kathie's idea of the cookes along with the poopie bags is good) is a non-confrontational way to tell them nicely that they need to have a chat with their daughter on dog-walking etiquette.

Yeah, there is more doggy deposit out there this morning. I know it is new because we cleaned up the other stuff.

I WANT to talk to her first but if she chooses to run away, then I will talk to her parents. I am NOT picking up dog *#^* that does not belong to me..LOL

Heidi, I think you should go straight to the parents. It's their responsiblity to see that their daughter does the right thing. You can bet the kid won't pass the message along to the parents. I'd approach them as a family unit, not single out the daughter ... it may be that she is walking the dog during the holiday but one of the parents will take on the duty when she's back in school.

I also wouldn't wait around, because the longer it continues before you say something, the more irritation can build up and the liklier the newcomers will wonder why anyone waited "so long" to say anything. G'head.

At this point, I would get dressed. Shove the stuff in a paper bag, and knock on their door, saying"here, your daughter and her puppy left this in my yard. Will you please ask her to walk her puppy elsewhere? Oh, and here are some holiday cookies, welcome to the neighborhood. My name is ............" and then see what happens.

Sigh...you hate to have a neighborhood war but.....we have 2 greys that use our backyard-ONLY,and we clean it up every day.We also have a grown up neighbor who has GUS-a giant chocolate lab that graces all of our yards.Our neighbor across the street throws doggie doodle back into the offender's yard. So far it isn't working.We have a large pile in our front yard as we speak.....I'm thinking maybe the dog warden can pay a visit....if that doesn't work-this is Texas,you figure it out.......LOL. :p

A liberal application of dog-off might work. The dog is responding to scent, after all. Pepper works, too, but that's not fair to the pooch.

I achieved a dogless yard when I informed the dog's owner that county law permitted me to pepper/citronella/ammonia&water spray any dog I felt threatened by (I'd much rather have sprayed the owner).

This can be so irritating! I think everyone has covered the gammit pretty well on suggestions. If it were me I would load up with a plate of cookies and a roll of pooper bags and drop by with a "welcome" to the neighborhood visit. Sort of "I know moving can be such a drag especially over the holidays and settling in can take time. And with this weather walking the dog is a hassle so I thought maybe you had not had found all your supply things just yet." Big smile and hand them the cookies and a "labeled"sack of pooper bags.

the sign sounds like a very fair warning for the kid that her thoughtlessness/laziness has been recognized several times and isn't acceptable.

Are there any 'common' areas you can suggest to the parents if you go visit? In our neighborhood there are a few lots that don't have houses built, and the poo there doesn't seem to bother anyone (these are fairly large areas because they have extreme slopes too steep to build on). I realize we may be much more rural than your town. Course, their own yard should be the first choice....

The parents may be just as indifferent, but I sure hope not! Maybe the animal control neighbor would have some literature to leave on their steps before actual confrontation?

Good Luck Heidi!

We are having a similar issue with a scary twist. New neighbors across the street have two sons. The oldest is HS age and rides the bus with our Kellan. This kid throws rocks at neighbor's cats and dogs. They have two chihuahuas they let loose in the morning and these tiny goobers run into the street and after anyone walking a dog, regardless of the size of the animal. I have seen these little vipers tear off after pit bulls. If a car doesn't get them, their choice of 'victim' will one of these days. Our sweet ancient old stray cat Bill has disappeared a month ago. A neighbor thought they'd seen the kid throw a rock and hit Bill awhile back. Kellan got off the bus once and saw the 'huahuas had Bill cornered in our driveway and were biting his tail (Kellan got after them and rescued our old boy). Still, I wonder if his disappearance now has anything to do with the neighbors...but he could have also wandered off to die in the woods. He was probably 15. I miss him every day.

A hoghschool-age kid who gets off on throwing rocks at peoples' pets? That kid is bad news and someone who witnesses this activity needs to report it to the authorities before he graduates to other, younger kids.