Need advice about new neighbors

heidiiiii

there are leash laws here, but they seem loosely enforced. The mom next door to them told me the kid had hit her youngest son in the forehead with a rock. I asked why she hadn't confronted the parents, but she has chosen not to for now, and keeps her kids away from them. I can't figure out the family structure over there, whether these are grandparents or parents. The kids seem to be on there own for several hours after school, and this seems to be trouble time. The youngest son seems to be okay, but the oldest has some obvious issues. They've only been in the house a few months. I have no proof about our old kitty, but I just feel deeply that he was driven off and maybe too confused to make it home, or worse.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heidi, be sure to let us know how you and the new neighbors resolve your dog-poop issue.

I get really concerned with stories of kids and animal cruelty, there seems to be a link between juvenile animal cruelty and sociopathy.

That's just what I was about to say, Holly. The compulsion to pick on smaller, weaker creatures doesn't get better with age, it generally escalates.

When we lived by the lake I made a few neighbors mad about letting their dogs off the leash after the ducklings and goslings were born. One woman none of us knew let her dog off the leash and stood there watching it kill an entire hatching of babies (I wasn't there, or there would be more to that story) But anytime someone let their dog loose, I pointed out the leash law sign and threatened to call our policeman neighbor out. I got tired of seeing those poor ducks and geese try to protect their babies from idiots with big dogs, and chased quite a few stray dogs off when I saw them!

As far as dogs pooping, there is a woman who owns a shop downtown. She brings her standard poodle to work with her and walks him on the city sidewalks, letting him poop wherever he wants. I can't believe any of the people in the buildings around her haven't complained. Maybe she's the mayor's wife?

One thing you might want to try is to go over and introduce yourself and welcome them to the neighborhood. While you are there mention something about their dog and offer a word of caution that the doggy police live on the street and that he is extremely strict about dogs messing on peoples lawns and it being left there. Say something to the effect that you understand there is a very hefty fine if someone gets caught and you felt it would be nice to warn them so they could make sure the little girl was aware of it. This way you are not accusing anyone BUT are making a subtle mention.

I have nothing to add as far as advice goes, but we have a kind of similar problem, we have a dog, and we are VERY strict about where he does his business and where he can and cannot pee...

The first day we had him, (he was adopted by us at the age of 3) we were walking up the road and along the side of a lawn, the neighbor came to the front door and said very bluntly "He best not be peeing on my grass"...(and we were just walking by, trust me he didn't even have a chance to sniff), but the point was taken with no harsh feelings felt by us...I think you just need to put it out there...next time you see the girl, just yell it from the window...it worked for us!!! :p

One thing you might want to try is to go over and introduce yourself and welcome them to the neighborhood. While you are there mention something about their dog and offer a word of caution that the doggy police live on the street and that he is extremely strict about dogs messing on peoples lawns and it being left there. Say something to the effect that you understand there is a very hefty fine if someone gets caught and you felt it would be nice to warn them so they could make sure the little girl was aware of it. This way you are not accusing anyone BUT are making a subtle mention.

Ooh, I like this idea. Blame it on the mean 'ole doggie police...

Good luck! How aggravating to have to deal with something like that.

I have not gone yet because well you all know about my back. I have not even been outside since my back hurt so I do not know if there are new deposits. If there are..We will be limping over there to have a nice neighborly chat with Mom and/or Dad.

Before we moved here to the wilderness - down in the town a woman was walking her dog on a leash on the sidewalk past a house and the dog was on the neighbor's lawn just briefly. The man ran out and shot the dog because he didn't want the dog in his yard. The woman was horrified standing there holding the dog's leash as the dog died. Beware the neighgors. There are signs here in people's yards that say things like "Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again." There is little compassion here.

But if nothing is done about your problem Heidi, it is just going to get worse. Hoping you feel better soon Heidi.

No new deposits. Yay! Same frozen ones that i saw from a couple days ago. Fred took care of them.

I even looked around in the front yard and bit and did not see any. So far so good. I will get a no pooper sign if I have to but that will have to wait until the Spring..LOL

It would be really nice if this resolved itself, and just stopped happening forever. Nothing worse than irrespossible pet owners, and if you don't scoop, that makes you a (fill in the blank,) I'm a homeowner too, this is a tricky situation. Some folks are just absent minded, and leave home without thinking about maybe Pup will have to do the deed, again; others are simply pigs that don't care, so it's always tough to approach an offending neighbor with this one. Best of luck.

It would be really nice if this resolved itself, and just stopped happening forever.

Yesterday was first day back to school..Nat forgot her glasses. I offered to drive them over. I am outside warming up the car and who do I see? It is the girl with the dog.

She kept that dog in her own yard, then took it for a walk. She did not see me as I was in the car but she passed by my house. Now that there is snow everywhere again..you can tell if something left something. LOL No piles or puddles.

We had this problem when we first bought our house. Before we lived here the neighbors would let their dogs do what comes naturally in our yard regularly, at the time it was a rental property and the tenants did nothing about it. When we moved in we saw these dogs owners allow the deposites everyday. After we bought the property and a few unsuccessful hints I made a sign that read

OUR YARD IS NOT YOUR DOGS BATHROOM

ANY PROPERTY DAMAGE IS DOG OWNERS RESPONSIBILITY

YOU ARE BEING WATCHED

The problem went away quickly with no ill feelings, but a new respect for us and our yard was born born. :lol:

The neighbors now tease us on occasion about our sign which I still have in case the need comes back.

Shooting is the norm here....we have many "cowboys" still around. The other night poachers were in our yard with a big light and many rifles firing off, not more than 150 feet from the house. I opened the window and shouted at them "did you get it?" They shut the light off fast, the shooting stopped and they left. Doug was furious as he said they could have turned the guns on me. I said OK, at least you have proof they were shooting in the yard. They came up from down the hill to set up their poaching station. They had large and small caliber guns. I believe there were four of them.

But getting back to the dog pooper, perhaps the snow is too deep for doggie to get in your yard, but I would keep watching.......

Wolfie, that's still pretty common here. During pheasant and dove season, it's not unusual to have a jeep or pickup full of idiots pull into your field and run out across it shooting. Everyone knows you ask the farmer before you do that! But city folks don't know or don't care. They also don't care if they mistake a bull for a deer-idiots. We run them off, and so do most people if they know they're out there, but it's hard to watch all of your land during hunting season.

Also, my FIL keeps the shotgun loaded. When the coyotes get to close to the house or the pens, he'll stand on the porch and shoot in the air to scare them off. He uses up a lot of ammo that way.

Just one of the joys of country living.

We had this problem when we first bought our house. Before we lived here the neighbors would let their dogs do what comes naturally in our yard regularly, at the time it was a rental property and the tenants did nothing about it. When we moved in we saw these dogs owners allow the deposites everyday. After we bought the property and a few unsuccessful hints I made a sign that read

OUR YARD IS NOT YOUR DOGS BATHROOM

ANY PROPERTY DAMAGE IS DOG OWNERS RESPONSIBILITY

YOU ARE BEING WATCHED

The problem went away quickly with no ill feelings, but a new respect for us and our yard was born born. :lol:

The neighbors now tease us on occasion about our sign which I still have in case the need comes back.

I like the idea of the sign Greg. I think I will make one just in case! Put it away with my gardening stuff

...Just one of the joys of country living.
We live a mile out in the woods and the road deadends behind our house at the bottom of a hill about 0.9 mile; and behind that is a 40-acre property that was still a hunting camp when we bought our house. We moved in in July and by November I was blissfully working on a project on our back porch when I heard a crack followed shortly thereafter by a ping on one of the trees next to the house. I yelled out, "Please point that thing in another direction, there's people trying to live in this house!" and I heard a shuffle-shuffle sound and later some more cracking MUCH further away; and we have never had hunters shooting close to our house again. I really think that city hunters just don't know proper etiquette!

We don't hunt (not that wild about game), but we certainly understand people who do, and the majority of hunters do so courteously and respectfully (although I'm still partial to hating the tree-stand hunter who shot up The Beautiful Melody so badly she lost her left front leg and nearly died).

We have gotten off topic on how to handle a neighbor who's dog walking does not respect property of others and on the hunting ,but i just have to add my story to the hunter.s I live in the country, close to a freeway and on a heavily traveled gravel road. the south side of the road has seen growth in the past ten years. with many new homes built. Our farm land has been planted to pine trees and the deer hang out there. Neighbor ( who is confined to a wheelchair and uses an ATV for outdoor mobility and likes to hunt) built himself a hunting blind on his property with the widows facing our property as there is no other direction to shoot without fear of hitting someone. During spring summer and fall I walk our dog on paths in the woods. sometime we go on the paths driving the golf cart (dog loves to go for a ride..who says I don't spoil my pets). Last fall neighbor comes over and tells me he almost mistook the white golf cart for a deer and that I shouldn't go out there during hunting season. I ask him to let me know when he will be out in the blind and I won't go into the woods. He replies that is impossible as he might be out in his blind all day or off and on during the day and adds, "well if anything bad happens, you were forwarned!' I say I don't think the judge would like to hear that. I called the deputy and they talked to him about using safe hunting practices. Needless to say, some of us are not fond of hunters or hunting season because of attitudes like this.

It is okay if the topic has veered.

I was making coffee this morning and saw her walking the dog. I watched (not like am a stalker..much LOL) and she did not come in our yard. I think I scared her that first day when I went out on the porch and watched her walk her dog. She never got close enough to talk to but I think my stance spoke volumes.

Had the same problem here... It was an older Man with a basset hound. He would walk him everyday and he always pottied in my yard. I finally started watching for him and would stand at the living room window and watch... when the dog started to go I walked out the door, straight to the man, handed him a walmart bag and politly told him I was NOT cleaning up after HIS dog. I have my own to clean up after and I do.!! He stopped walking this way after that... but then I noticied he was ALWAYS at the park... I called the parks dept. they put up a new sign..... and after all the neighbors complained there seem to always be a park dept worker in the park... he would bypass the park, they finally ended up catching him and let him know.... I havent seen him in the park or on my street in a long while... He walks the other side of the road. !

Kellee

We have many empty houses on our small street now so the girl has free rein.

It is sad really. This street was always quiet but now it is even more so. Single family empty to foreclosure, 3 family..same thing, two house (one across from me and one next door)..both women are in nursing homes, and the house on the other side of me has been empty since the new year. Young girl, she still owns the house and comes around but she does not stay there anymore. But she never moved her stuff out. Her Mom is local. I figure there might be something wrong with the furnace and she cant afford to fix it or something. Last house on the street is single family and it is for sale. That will leave my kids as the last youngins on the street.