Newbie needs your advice

Hi, I'm a newbie, kind of. Actually, I built a dollhouse about 25 years ago, but hardly remember what to do or to avoid. I do realize that I'd like to do some upgrades on the Garfield I just bought but need the advice from veteran Garfielders.

#1 Opinions about siding, please. Haven't made up my mind.

#2 Can I buy those already made spiral staircases and will they fit?

#3 What is your best suggestion re: putting up wallpaper and trim?

Thank God I recently retired! I can see how my time will be used in the coming days, weeks, months, etc!

Thanks all -- I love this forum -- so glad I happened to find it!

Maresiedotes

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D I have a Garfield too, I love it.

In my opinion siding on the Garfield really depends on what you want. I didn't put siding on mine and I like the way looks. But there are some beautiful Garfields with siding in the gallery. So it's what look you want. If you decide to go with siding the sheets would definitely be easier with all the angles you would need to cut.

Wallpaper would be easier for the hard to reach places while putting it together. I put mine all together first then wallpapered and it was not an easy task especially the entry hall and second floor hall and the top of the stairs on the 3rd floor. <_< (that part in mine still is unfinished)

I've never really thought about spiral staircases for it. They do make them already made you would just have to get the measurements to see if it would fit.

I hope this helped a little.

Annette :D

Thanks, Annette, that did help a whole bunch! Do you know the measurements for the staircase areas in the Garfield? And can I construct the house and put the stairs in at any point, or is there a certain order for putting them in? Also, do you know where I can get siding sheets? As I said, I'm a total newbie and know so very little about all this. One thing I do know is that I'd like to ward off any huge blunders before I get started...because I know how hard mistakes are to undo in these little beauties. Annette, thanks so much for your advice -- I really, really appreciate it!!!

Maresiedotes

P.S. Annette, I just looked at your Garfield. It's absolutely charming!!!! I love the removable addition you thought of. Wow...so sweet and imaginative. Looking at your pictures has inspired me!!! Thanks so much!!

Maresiedotes <_<

You're welcome :D

I can give you the measurements from floor to ceiling right next to the staris if that will help any. For the 1st floor it is 11 in. and for the 2nd floor it is 9 in. I think that's how you would measure for a pre-made staircase. I hope it helps you in any case.

As for installing them, I followed the directions and put them in when they said. But you might be able to hold off for the first floor for a little while, the second floor it depends on if you put in the wall (the one close to the tower) or leave it out. If you put it in, it would be easier doing the stairs first. But wallpapering around the staris is a pain, unless you paper the wall before installing it. But before you do anything just look at it for a while and way all the options this way you will be able to see any conflicts before you start and be able to avoid them. It may take some time but in the end it will be worth it. <_<

As for where to get siding sheets goto www.miniatures.com. I get everything I need from them, they seem to have everything you could think of and they have good prices. (most of the time they have sales :lol: ) And if you are on a budget (like me) they are the best.

Thank you for the compliment on my Garfield, I'm glad to give any help that I can. :D

Annette

Annette, you're an angel! Those measurements will really come in handy, and I'll try to do everything slowly, but it's hard when you see a pile of pieces to not just tear into it, right? I've read the directions several times and am now going through my various sheets to mark every single piece with its own label. lightly in pencil, just in case things get really out of hand and I don't know where a piece is. It's time-consuming, but, as you say, it's worth it. I hope to take pictures as I progress, but do feel a bit intimidated after looking at some of the houses on this site. I'm making this for my granddaughter and may have to resist the temptation to make everything too fancy, because she's young and her main focus will be on playing, not admiring the work Grammie has done, though I know she's going to be thrilled!! Who knows, I just may get as hooked on this whole process as everyone else!! (Not a bad thought. ) <_<

I'll keep an eye out for your posts, and I'll try to update as I go, if I'm feeling brave. Annette, thanks for your very kind help and your friendly style. Good luck on whatever house you're working on right now!!

Maresiedotes

Welcome to the forum <_<

Can I buy those already made spiral staircases and will they fit?

Whether you buy them is up to you, they're cheaper if you buy them as a kit, and there are tutorials available for making your own.

You might want to check out Hobby Builders' Supply (referred to in many posts as HBS), www.miniatures.com for many of the ready-made items.

I mark the parts by name on a bit of masking tape & stick it to the "wrong" side of the piece it identifies; that way I don't have to remember to erase the lable later.

Thanks, Havanaholly...great advice...and I'm going to label with tape for the rest of the labeling...I'm about 1/2 way through...you obviously have a world of experience, and I'm grateful for your taking the time to help out. This site seems to be full of very generous-hearted people!!! Thanks so much! <_< :D:D

Maresiedotes

P.S. Holly, where are the tutorials on making staircases? I appreciate your help!

Hi Maresiedotes

I am also building the Garfield. This is my first house. I have always been pretty crafty but this is certainly my biggest challange. I would suggest "decorating" or wallpapering as much as you can especially in the front first floor foyer, second floor and third floor hall before you put in windows, doors or roof. Also in the area of the the kitchen door. The second/third floor stairs have to go in order otherwise they will most definately be a major problem. It is just easier to put them in when the directions tell you to. I used the stairs that came with the kit for the first floor so I don't know about the spiral ones. I spend a lot of time just looking at the next step whether I did it according to the directions or my own way. You have to do that to avoid mistakes, I think. I didn't use siding, but I did upgrade the windows and balcony doors. Also some doors on the interior. I actually first installed the plastic windows that came with it and then decided to upgrade so I spend a whole day just removing the plastic ones and spackling and repairing the damage. Decide in the beginning if you want to upgrade the windows. Just my opinion. I don't know what I would do if there were windows in the house in the beginning. The instructions tell you to install the windows before you even put the house together. Not a good idea. I do alot throught the open windows. I think that will be the last thing I do, install the windows.

Annette: I checked out your garfield and it is just beautiful. Love the addition. I too am inspired by your work

http://smallstuff-digest.com/cgi-bin/archi...piral+staircase should link you to a list of posts that inclue some on making spiral stairs, although the specific one I was looking for, with meticulous detail, was by "Dr Bob" & I couldn't find it. There are a lot of handy tips at www.smallstuff-digest.com in their archives, which is where I got the above link, and also where the tutorial I was thinking of used to be. You may be a better searcher than I am.

Irene, thanks so much for your most appreciated and wonderful suggestions!! I checked out your Garfield and it's amazing! I'm getting such great ideas by looking at the photos. I only hope I can come up with a Garfield that won't be embarrassed to be called a Garfield...that is, if a house can be embarrassed! Lol.

And HavanaHolly, you're the queen! You're into the details and they're beautiful! Thanks so much for taking the time to give me that link to small stuff digest. I'm going to be looking through all their archives, thanks to your generous suggestion! I so appreciate all the help I've gotten in such a short time.

It really takes away a lot of the fear to begin.

By the way, my "ex" was born in Havana. Do you have a Cuban connection?

Thanks again, everybody!

Maresiedotes

Do you have a Cuban connection?
Very remote, but since you ask... I live in Havana, Florida (in the SE US), about halfway between Tallahassee (the state capital) & Bainbridge, GA. It's in Gadsden County, and up until 40+ years ago the main cash crop was "shade" tobacco, grown to make cigar wrappers for (here comes the connection) Cuban cigars. The tobacco mosaic virus wiped out the crop (now tomatoes & mushrooms are the big cash crops along with nursery plants) and then the government placed an embargo on Cuban cigars and now there are other areas that supply the tobacco wrapper leaves. There are lots of old tobacco barns still standing/ falling down all over the county.

You're into the details

That's probably a lot more detail than you wanted <_<

I only hope I can come up with a Garfield that won't be embarrassed to be called a Garfield...that is, if a house can be embarrassed! Lol.

I'm sure your Garfield will be wonderful. Just the fact that you are "researching" before you even start. I was very intimidated at first also, but once you get started it just seems to all come together. Also you will definately become VERY addicted to it. I think about it all the time. It is constantly calling me down to my basement to work on it! <_<

I can't wait to see how your garfield turns out! I will be getting one possibly next month. (i had one, but it's now Andrews - doogster) now i want one again!!!!!!!!!! After seeing how beautifully this house can turn out. I am so inspired by all of you guys building this house, i really want to do one of my own. My plans are to also put in a spiral staircase on the first floor and a nicer straight one on the 2nd floor. i will remove the second floor staircase wall (uppity cat on this site did that, that is where i got that idea), it really opens up the house. I am so excited about this i wish i had the house now. I could buy it next week, but then i wont have grocery and gas money.....lord knows i am sooooo tempted tho <_< Sounds like you have great plans....i too am undecided about exterior choices, but i definately want the upgraded window package, it makes a huge different in how the exterior looks! Look at everyones pic's here on the site. I absolutely love the look that Jaimie Marvon acheived with her front porch! She has also inspired me to not use the kit porch trimmings!

Margarita

Hope you get your Garfield soon...who needs food anyway, LOL. I added some of the porch trimmings. I cut off alot of the scallop trim, just kept the trim where the posts go so it would look like brackets. I didn't use the posts that came with the kit, I upgraded them also. I saw Jaimie Marvons house in person and it looks great. She is the one who inspired me to get the window upgrade. I got them from a store by her house called Circus Dollhouse. They only cost $99 through the owner there. Her name is Marilyn. When the time comes I'm sure you could order them from her online or via telephone (toll free, 877-402-3061). Might be a little extra for shipping. There is a website, www.circusdollhouse.com.

My plans are to also put in a spiral staircase on the first floor and a nicer straight one on the 2nd floor. i will remove the second floor staircase wall (uppity cat on this site did that, that is where i got that idea), it really opens up the house.

I wonder about opening up the downstairs to put in a grand curved staircase (or pair of curved staircases meeting at a landing with a loge). That house suggests columns and coffered ceilings to me..., sort of like pulling out all the stops and going 'way over the top <_< :D:D

Thank you all for such wonderful, supportive and inspiring suggestions. Being retired has its advantages (such as more time to do things besides working), but then the disposable income just isn't what it used to be. <_< I think the key to this is to take time and think it through and to go ahead and get the upgrades that will make my Garfield look great, and to spread out the cost over time. I hope I can find some great sales!!!!

As I said before, in one of my earlier posts, this is such a great site...and you are all so friendly and helpful!

Dollhouse people must have special kindness genes! So happy to get to know you all! Ilovecats, I'll be waiting to see how your soon-to-be-purchased Garfield turns out. Keep us all posted.

Thanks again, everybody!!!

Maresiedotes

Dollhouse people must have special kindness genes!

I couldn't have said it any better. I was a little intimidated before I joined but everyone here is just wonderful and helpful. Like a big family that's always there for you. :lol: I thank my DH for talking me into joining all the time. (He thinks I a bit crazy when it comes to my house <_< ) But sometimes you have to be crazy to keep yourself sane :D .

Keep us posted on how everything's going.

Annette :D

Being retired has its advantages (such as more time to do things besides working), but then the disposable income just isn't what it used to be. :D I think the key to this is to take time and think it through
We retired two years ago & I quickly figured out that if I want to enjoy minis I had better start making many of them myself. It certainly helps the disposable income part! :D

sometimes you have to be crazy to keep yourself sane

You don't HAVE to be crazy to play here, but it doesn't hurt. DH tells me I'm having more fun than the law allows <_<

DH tells me I'm having more fun than the law allows :D

That sounds like my DH!! He's starting to understand my addiction. He watches for sales and coupons in the newspaper for me now. He is retired and I work part time so he even offers to go and pick stuff up for me, very sweet. <_< :D

Margarita

Hope you get your Garfield soon...who needs food anyway, LOL. I added some of the porch trimmings. I cut off alot of the scallop trim, just kept the trim where the posts go so it would look like brackets. I didn't use the posts that came with the kit, I upgraded them also. I saw Jaimie Marvons house in person and it looks great. She is the one who inspired me to get the window upgrade. I got them from a store by her house called Circus Dollhouse. They only cost $99 through the owner there. Her name is Marilyn. When the time comes I'm sure you could order them from her online or via telephone (toll free, 877-402-3061). Might be a little extra for shipping. There is a website, www.circusdollhouse.com.

Thanks for the info Irene! Lol on the food issue. Like i said, i have that NEED to have the dollhouse right now, this minute...not another day can pass without it feeling. Of course i wouldn't be able to build it for a couple of months, but that isn't the issue...hehe. I guess gas money wins out if nothing else <_<

Wow! I'm so humbled to see that somebody looked at my very amateur Garfield and took a hint from it!

Yes, I did eliminate one wall and kept the staircase open. I spent so much time fiddling with the staircase that I couldn't bear to cover it up with a wall! :) It did mean I had to build some additional railings and bannisters, but I'm pleased with the results.

And I decided yesterday that I'm going to build a wall on the third floor between the two end rooms - -the one that drops down a bit, and the one next to it.

I'm also glad to see someone else is going to ignore all the extra roof trim and all that. I realize it's very Victorian...but I also now understand why many Victorian homes have gotten rid of it! Just too MUCH!! :D

I'm back working at my house, after several small delays. Built the tower yesterday, and got the bay windows all done. After I build this wall, I'm going to paint the outside (first coat, anyway) and then start installing the window frames for the outside.

I wish I would have seen the link to someone selling ready-made windows that somebody offered here. At that price, I might have bought them, rather than spending all the time I've spent on the ones that come with the house. Oh well. Gives me ideas for the NEXT house! :blink:

I wish I would have seen the link to someone selling ready-made windows that somebody offered here. At that price, I might have bought them, rather than spending all the time I've spent on the ones that come with the house. Oh well. Gives me ideas for the NEXT house! :D

It's never too late to get the working windows. They really do make a difference. I had installed all the kit windows then removed them. A lot of work but worth it.

Your house is coming along great. I too removed the staircase wall on the second floor. Really opens up the house. Love your idea to add a wall on second floor. I might consider this.

This site is so good for getting ideas. Very helpful

"Uppitycats" I looked at your Garfield and I LOOOOOVE the colors and patterns of your wall paper!!

I can see that your house will be beautiful and it's giving me even more inspiration. I'm so grateful for all the replies that I've gotten to my few questions. Right now I can't spend a lot of time on my Garfield, because I have some out of town visitors coming in, but next week I should actually get started.

Question

...I'm building my house in the basement and the doorways are narrow. I know what the house measurements are, but can I leave the house on the foundation without gluing it, so it won't be so hard to get it through the door, or would that be a ticket to disaster? I kind of have a feeling that gluing the house to the foundation would be pretty necessary, but as you all know, I don't know a lot about the miniature world yet. Thanks for whatever advice you might have.

Maresiedotes

I wonder about opening up the downstairs to put in a grand curved staircase (or pair of curved staircases meeting at a landing with a loge). That house suggests columns and coffered ceilings to me..., sort of like pulling out all the stops and going 'way over the top :D:):blink:

When I was going though the whole staircase problem with my Garfield I think Andrew had a curved staircase in mind. If I remember correctly, he mentioned that the curved staircases wouldn't "fit". They would either be going out the front door or right up against the wall.