Greetings from the sunny south

cleojazz

The sunny south of Ontario, Canada, where currently we're digging out of 6 inches of snow!

I've been involved with miniatures for about 30 years. I hadn't constructed any for some time, so I bought a kit, The Brookwood. This is the first dollhouse I've made where the instructions are vital. It's open concept, so things don't resemble the anatomy of the average house!

I read over everything before starting. That's enough to make the faint of heart close the box and put it away! Well, my granddaughter has a birthday coming, so here goes.

Burned my finger tip on hot glue....Ahhh.....it's all coming back to me now!

I enjoy kit bashing, and creating my minis from scrap and visits to the odds and ends department of the hardware store.I keep anything that vaguely looks usable. I collect lots of "you-never-know-when that-will-come-in-handy". Thank goodness my son moved out. His bedroom is now my workroom. I used to have lots of put-abouts(single rooms or dioramas) but they were eating up too much real estate. So one day I asked my husband if I could turn his aunt's old armoire into a condo. Three years and 2 surgeries later, it is now my principal display. It graces my living room, and never fails to awe any new guests.

I'm hoping to meet new friends here, maybe local folks who share this interest. Also to learn and to share ides and how-tos. I'm a little haphazard about checking the boards, but hopefully will remember to see what you're all up to now and then!

post-5177-1263359158_thumb.jpg

post-5177-1263359203_thumb.jpg

post-5177-1263359259_thumb.jpg

post-5177-1263359273_thumb.jpg

post-5177-1263359504_thumb.jpg

Hi Gloria,

Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed your pictures, you have made a great job of the room settings no wonder all your guests gravitate towards this display. I adore the curved walls you made in the entrance, they look really impressive, how did you do this and what material did you use?

Welcome to the Greenleaf mini-family, Gloria -- so glad you joined us! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, there’s a gold-mine of information on this forum and everyone is very helpful! :)

I like your pictures -- I too have had bookcase houses and roomboxes because I never had a place to build or put a real dollhouse. But that has changed now!

After posting 5 times you can start your own Gallery, then we can all go admire your work :)

Welcome to the little family, Gloria. I was dismayed to read:

Burned my finger tip on hot glue
especially if you were building this house for you granddaughter. I got this Laurel to rehab because it was originally built with hot glue: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...i&img=12769 (I have posted this picture a few times already when folks mention following the instructions), and I have a Pierce sitting in a pile of pieces after finishing taking it apart after removing all the hot glue. The kit is wood, and I have found that when I build a wood kit using carpenter's WOOD glue, it holds together forever! Just a suggestion.

Your armoire bash is amazing and, like Jo, I'd love to know what you used for those marvelous curved walls in the foyer.

Thanks for the welcomes! I never imagined those walls would be attention getters.

They're constructed from foam core board.It has the right thickness to simulate a real wall. Because this curve is rather tight, I used a real-life construction technique: cutting a few kerfs on the backside where it doesn't show by drawing an x-acto blade vertically in parallel lines from top to bottom of the wall.The cuts can be 1/4" apart along the wall or adjust the cuts to be closer together for tighter curves. Experiment on scrap to get it right!

When I look at my work now, 11 years later,I'm critical because I keep learning new techniques and I want to improve what I've already finished!

But you know how that goes. Just like in my real house, re-doing anything has a domino effect..you have to keep going beyond what you thought should be changed! Better not go there unless I'm ready for a major overhaul....

p.s. look for foam core board at craft stores or where they sell fine art supplies.It comes paper covered. Also available wood covered(Gatorboard is one trade name). 1'4" thickness is good to replicate a real stud wall.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...