Hello from Upstate SC

GrammySC

Hello Everyone,

My name is Cindy and I'm a Grammy from the Upstate of SC, near Greenville. I have a gorgeous 4 year old granddaughter, Taylor, and 5 3/4 grandsons, the newest is scheduled to arrive on Feb. 9th...LOL I decided to build a dollhouse that Taylor and I can play with. I decided to start off with the Orchid as it is small and very economical. I'm very excited to start the project but am looking for all the tips and hints I can get before I start. I've never built anything like this before but I can follow directions well. If anyone has any helps or hints please pass them along! I'm very excited to be part of the community! :(

Thanks Everyone! I'm so happy to have found this site! I took the instructions out of the box and decided I'd better read more online help..LOL

Everything you need to know is here, or can be found from here. I'm going to start on the house very soon. I can't wait! I have to wait until Taylor goes back home before I start. I don't think a 4 year old assistant would be a wise idea since I've never built a house before.

Thanks again to everyone! :(

LOL Cindy!!!! You can ask Gayle how well that works out.....I'm just north of Columbia, SC.....we have several members that either live in SC, have lived in SC, or wish they did.....LOL.....

HI CINDY WELCOME TO THE GROUP! IN THE INSTRUCTIONS, IT SAYS TO USE HOT GLUE, DON'T, USE WOOD GLUE OR AILEEN'S TACKY GLUE. ALSO USE MASKING TAPE FOR HOLDING PIECES IN PLACE WHILE THE GLUE DRIES. THERE IS LOTS OF OTHER TIPS YOU'LL FIND ON THIS SITE PLUS YOU CAN SEARCH THE GALLERIES FOR LOADS OF PICTURES OF FINISHED ORCHIDS. HAVE FUN! :)

:) Hi Cindy! I am right smack dab in the middle of you and Gayle here in the town of Greer. The Orchid was also my first build. Having this forum to come to helps soooo much when building any dollhouse. It is a sweet little house and I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much, I have two more Orchids waiting in their boxes. Looking forward to watching your progress. Taylor will love her little house.

Welcome to the little family, Cindy, two of our sons were born in Union, SC. There are two building blogs for the Orchid, here? and here?. Wood glue really does work far better than hot glue, especially if a child is going to play with it. In fact, for a four-year old I'd pick up some 1/4" stripwood and cut it to fit the inside corners where the walls of the shell meet and glue them in to reinforce the corners (in case she wants to sit/ stand on it, or has little brothers/ cousins who might want to).

Cindy,

Welcome to our little family! You are going to love it here. There's lots of help (thanks Holly for the reinforcement tip; gotta keep that in mind for smaller children) on the forum and so many galleries! The Orchid was my second build and I LOVE it! It's such a cute house and you can do so much with it (although that bay window gave me trouble)!

Make sure you share lots of pics with us!

Dry-fit helped me with the bay window (thanks for the reminder!), but I had pretty much gotten the mysteries of the bay worked out with the Sugarplums I've built. My main problem was with putting in shelves that would hold mini merchandise.

Hi Kim, welcome to the group! Lighting isn't as hard as it seems, and you can build and go back to light using round wire. If you do a search thru the forum you'll find lots of lighting tips. :)

WELCOME to the Greenleaf mini-family, Cindy – so glad you joined us!

Aren't grandbabies grand? I have 2 little grand-girls, one 4 and one 5 (cousins, six months apart) The younger one spent a month with us last summer and loved playing with my half-finished dollhouse! You'll find a gold-mine of information on this forum, and people very glad to help you. We love to share news and ideas on all things miniature! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...