1/24 scale carpet question

astoppani

Is there special 1/24th scale carpet, or do you just use 1/12th scale? I looked on miniatures.com and don't see any for that scale. The couple of other sites I looked at have area rugs but no wall-to-wall. Any place special I should look? Do most of you do wood floors with area rugs or wall-to-wall?

Thanks,

Andrea

My only concern with using 1:12 carpet would be whether it looks too plush. You might try looking for some velvet or velour fabric rather than actual miniature carpet (it's probably cheaper, too). For my Fairfield I used "suede" scrapbook paper as carpet but I'm not sure if that's still available - I haven't seen any at the usual places (Michael's, Joann's) in a while. I don't know of any sources for 1:24 carpet, not sure if that exists.

The rest of my floors are hardwood, which I made using coffee stirrers and skinny sticks.

One of the attractions of building TWO Fairfields is the opportunity to explore options and try things out in the smaller scale. I scribed all the hardwood floors in the rightside-out version and then I just stained the floors in the inside-out version, since the wood didn't lend itself so readily to being scribed. Paper works really well for tiles in this scale, and the primer color shows through spackle in 1:24 thickness.

I'm stitching the rugs with single-strand floss on 50+-count linen. I suppose you could shave felt thin enough to look right in 1:24, but the texture just seems "off" IMPO. The problem with using 1:12 scale items for 1:24 is precisely scale; it's 1/2 the length And the breadth AND the height, so a lot of designs and items really do look not right. Look at toddler party dresses in thrift stores, some of the velveteens and velours aren't too terribly thick for 1:24.