Gardening 2010

heidiiiii

Yeah, I found a couple of lists, and I have quite a few of those plants. One listed Shasta daisies, but last summer my Shasta in the front yard was stripped bare down to the stems......nothing but a clump of naked stems, how sad.

Oh well, there's always this year.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have dreams of a magnificent garden. I need to go by the library and get some books about the correct times to plant for my area. I would to try and grow loufah's that I could dry out and give as gifts for Christmas. I would also want to grow lots of veggies for my family like tomatoes, green beans, potatoes, corn, etc. Yummy!

Our squirrels ate my nasturtiums and pansies last year. I didn't know they would do that, until I saw it for myself.

Because of the dry heat, a lot of things won't grow here. They do fine until that hot dry wind starts and then they just shrivel up, no matter how much you water. So we have a lot of lantana, yucca, sage, stuff that is native here.

one year i planted a bunch of dill for ornamentation and eating....we had an infestation of swallow tail caterpillars LOL...was fun watching them destroy my dill though! had our horse eat all of my tomato plants one year and i heard tomato plants are supposed to be distateful, or dangerous, to horses! then we have a few stray rabbits that got out of their pens and they like to burrow in the zucchini beds! we have lots of yucca here too!

Our squirrels ate my nasturtiums and pansies last year. I didn't know they would do that, until I saw it for myself.

Nasturtiums and pansies are edible, I've seen recipes using them.

I don't have strawberries anymore, because I got tired of fighting the squirrels for them. I'd have needed to build a netted cage of some kind over the strawberry patch. I tried netting on top an arrangement of garden fence and sticks, but they just jumped around on it till it sagged down enough for them to get at the berries.

A groundhog ate all my sunflowers one year. I didn't see the critter, I thought it was a deer, except that I found out deer won't eat sunflower plants. My neighbor told me she'd seen the groundhog eating up her garden. She was so excited when her husband finally caught it. He had been baiting the cage with lettuce, carrots and all sorts of veggies for weeks, which it ignored repeatedly, favoring Anne's garden plants.

Sometimes I wish I just had a big patio full of potted plants.

I got some great news yesterday when I dropped Chelsea off at work..oh yeah..she is working again..more on that in a second.

Chelsea and I bought two plots this year at the community garden and we found out yesterday that one of our plot neighbors moved out of state. So we have an end plot! WooHoo! ROFL.

Both plots together and one is an endy. I know that sounds silly but when I take pics..you will understand.

Chelsea has been at Fresh the past couple weeks volunteering with them to get ready for new season. She is going to get paid by the state for one month (March) to help out. 100 hours..

She is also putting in for an internship and possibly a job job in Portland Maine. The job is basically what she is doing now at Fresh. Working with kids, teaching them about growing, sustainable, environmentally friendly, etc. The internship is also paid. So either one would be good.

If she gets either one..I might be able to meet our wonderful Greg! It is an hour drive in the other direction but that is okay with me.

Aren't peas an early plant? I have a bunch of ones saved for seed from last year's bumper crop.

I need to find my leather gloves so I can pull out some overlooked thistles which I found last week. :thumb: But it was good to get the wellies on and check it out! Before I know it, it will be time for large garbage pickup and I have some large branches fallen which would be called trees in a newer subdivision!

I found an old magazine with plans for a 5' by 8' gothic greenhouse which I though might be fun to build - someday. This year I want to get the studio shed made.

The purple allium bulbs turned up, so I need to head outside and plant them. I also have some seeds I gathered from last year's poppies at the library which I'm going to spread amongest my dwindling poppies to see if it helps resuscitate the patch. New blood, you know.

• 3 weeks later...

I am soooo Happy!

I received my Burpee catalog in the mail today. It is nice and thick. Good reading with a pencil in hand. The tomato on the front is beautiful. It is called a Tye Dye tomato.

I also bought some corn seeds the other day.

I ordered 3 Coreopsis Early Sunrise and something else they had on sale at Bluestone Perennials. All my Early Sunrise died in a bad winter we had a few years ago.

I don't feel like seed starting again, but find myself looking through the catalogs anyway. I tell myself I don't have the room for a lot of new plants, but the flowers are so pretty.

I love having the fresh vegetables but I have so many other things to do that a garden is just too much. Plus the time of year when the garden needs to really be tended to and watched a lot is the time that we always go out of town. The last summer that I had one I had tomatoes, cucumber and green bell peppers that all did amazing. My yellow squash and zuchini not so much. THey would start and then stop growing and get really hard. A garden expert I found online that would answer questions told me that they were not get pollinated. Sure enough I noticed we didn't have any bees that summer. He told me I could pollinate them by hand. He gave the the directions on how to do this. I don't know if any of you have ever tried this but I said "no thanks, I would rather buy it" :wave: Thankfully my mother is down the street and I get stuff from her garden!

We have elephant ears that are huge in my back yard. I love those they have such a tropical feel and make the back yard with the pool feel like our oasis. I love hostas too and they so really well here. I like to keep things that are easy :)

I had a really good day today in the yard. It was on the warm side so i spent about an hour total (i split it up into two intervals) and got alot of cleaning up done. i enjoyed it and happy to say that the surgery is a success..i can bend over and deadhead.

i am going to have a great growing season this year.

It's almost warm enough to get out and do something here, too. I thought today about taking "before" photos, while the remaining dead leaves and snow patches are still on the ground, but I didn't get out to do it. Maybe tomorrow.

I got out this afternoon and snooped around under the mulch. The iris and daylilies are coming up, the rose bush has buds all over it, and the mums are up. So, it's time for another freeze, once the fruit trees bloom. Happens every year!

I had done some raking early this week and I see the dafs and iris bulbs peeking out just a tiny bit. The Dafs up in the top yard are growing faster..they always do.

Pretty soon I am going to plant my first row of cold weather veggies..carrots, beets, and radishes. I am going to wait another week and then I am planting at the community garden!

• 2 weeks later...

I did a small splurge the other day. I bought a new Clematis for the garden. It is going to be beautiful. It is called City of Lyon (villa de lyon).

My last Clematis that I planted probably 10 years ago, just died. So I am replacing it with a newer one. The older one was white and I do not remember the variety.

This will be planted on the trellis in the shade garden (dapple light).

same here, in terms of white stuff.....no garden growing here! :lol:( My bday is march 19 and when i lived in calif i always had an urge to buy plants for my birthday...took me years to realize it was Spring talking to me even in calif! Now I buy seeds when my birthday nears LOL I

have some basil so far!

I took a turn around the yard yesterday despite soft ground and lots of leaves. One of the witchhazel bushes (it's a one-stem bush planted last year!) has two tiny flowers on it. The pansies from last fall have some buds. Some of the daylilies and peonies have poked through, and some of the ground cover is greening up. We're supposed to be rain-free for a few days. I hope it gets dry enough for me to get out there and rake up leaves without fear of packing down the muddy ground.

Julie, March 19 is St. Joseph's day, traditional for planting potatoes. :lol:

The fruit tree blossoms are opening, some already in bloom. So we should have our last freeze soon. It never fails, always freezes the fruit trees. Forget groundhogs, this method is foolproof for knowing when winter is over.

I planted elephant ears and caladiums under the tree, and some more monkey grass. That is such a large area behind the retaining wall, that it's taking forever to get it all filled in with plants. However, some of my ground cover is blooming, and the pansies and larkspur look good so far.

I have groundcover at the top of the wall and it's already hanging to the ground at the base of the wall. Then I get gradually taller with the plants as the garden goes back toward the house. I also have my corn god statue out there, and some pretty rock 'balls' scattered around, so it's looking pretty cool!

I also have about ten packs of seeds to plant on Good Friday, and some starter plants to set out then also, sitting in my kitchen window. I just can't resist. When the plants start showing up at the nursery, I go crazy even if there is snow on the ground!