Spiders

tracibobs

ok we just moved to the country im from the city our new house is got all wods out back we have started to see and kill big spiders so far we have killed 8-10 is it norm to have spiders in the house in the country should i worry im so scared they may be poison i dont know anything about spiders. were going to be checking in on having the house sprayed im very very scared of spiders.

dont know if it matters but when i say country i mean weeki wachee,Fl dont know if spiders are comon in certain places more then others

I know I have a lot of spiders in my house becuase it is cold outside. If you have spiders, it means your house is dry so that is a good thing. As to whether or not they are poisonous, I can't answer becuase I don't know much about insectlife where you live. I am not aware of too many poisonous spiders though if that is any consolation.

Well, maybe you can ask your neighbors. They should know whether there are poisonous ones in the area.

If you feel up to it, I would avoid killing them. After all they hunt for bugs that are even scarier.

Although I'm terrified of all bugs, I do rescue spiders when they come to my apartment. I catch them and bring them outside. Because they're useful creatures I don't want my cats to kill them. Pity really, spiders would sure come in handy in summer when there's flies. My cats only catch flies when they feel like it.

There are spiders and spiders, they all have a venom to paralyze their prey and you might want to have an allergist test you for sensitivity to it; I react badly to spider bites, but they are such interesting, useful creatures I give myself First Aid and leave them be. I do insist certain ones stay outdoors (like the gorgeous golden orb weavers/ "banana" spiders and the various argiopes/ "writing" spiders) and I will reluctantly kill the most venomous ones (brown recluse, black widow). I'd a lot rather clean up the web-wrapped bodies of the huge cockroaches and other bugs and occasional small reptiles that I'd rather not step on, than to kill the spiders in the house. Wolf spiders & daddy longlegs don't seem to bite and the really, really pretty tiny ones with fluorescent green & orange colors don't seem to want to come indoors, and the little brown & black spiders that are the most common in our house are so terribly shy I never see them unless I'm sweeping away their webs. There are some ginormous hairy brown spiders (not tarantulas! just big, hairy guys) that hang out around the doors & windows outside who occasionally come indoors by mistake and are not one bit shy; I'm afraid I'll hit them with Raid if they insist on standing their ground (usually the bathtub!). If you have some of the nonvenomous snakes or larger anole lizards in your yard, they'll eat the spiders, too.

Spiders and other bugs also tend to come inside when it gets cold outside.

yeah that explains now but how do you explain them the rest of the year. We have them all the time. Dont misunderstand me..it is not like we are running a spider motel or anything.

They have just always been a part of our lives for the 12 years we have been here so far.

I'm not a fan of spiders either. I know they help with insect control, but I hate getting bitten. Holly is right. They all have venom, the question is "how potent?" Like snakes, most spiders aren't deadly. In the U.S., the ones with the worst venom are usually the most reclusive, so you aren't likely to get bitten by those varieties if you look where you step, reach, etc. If you've never encountered a banana spider before, you won't have anything to worry about until spring. They're dormant until then. They grow to the size of a dinner platter and hang webs that reach 12' X 12'. They usually hang their webs from a tree limb down to the ground and seem to always perch right at head height (4 -5'), so if you don't notice the web, you're likely to have one of those things crawling on your face. They're all legs, so they don't have the mass of turantulas, but they rank high on the creepy factor. As for spiders in your house, I would get rid of them. Use raid in the house and let the spiders do their thing outside. They also like dark places, so always pull your sheets all the way back before getting in bed in the evening.

We get them too, mainly in the garage but none in the house since I now have the exterminator come every 3 months. He sprays the inside when I need him to but mainly he does the perimeter of the house and it has worked wonders. I have only seen 1 spider in the house since he started coming regularly.

Like Holly said, depends on what kind they are. We have brown recluses and black widows out here, so I keep an eye out for those guys, but bigger fuzzier spiders don't bother me-- I let 'em be so they can clean up the neighborhood! (Besides, they amuse the dogs!)

I have a real spider phobia. i realize they have a purpose, but the world is okay without all the ones i get rid of (generally i have other people kill them for me as i hate going near them....lol)....i think of it as population control.

HATE spiders with a passion. I say nuke em with bug juice! call the exterminator.

OOOOoooo,I also hate varmints.We have one of those radar bug things that you plug in and we have Best Pest service that sprays twice a year-every April and October.And they spray inside and out.We have to gather all of the furbies ,keep them in our van and then drive around for an hour til the stuff dries-then it isn't poisonous to animals.So far we have had no creepy crawlers......except for an occassional gecko!!

Yuck!!And we had what I called a baby python on our patio.It was three inches long..could have been a worm..who cares it was Awful!! We also have snails when it rains................but this is outdoor stuff.

We have no roaches,spiders,bugs,bees,gnats or flees in the house.

:flowers: I HATE SPIDERS!! I'm in australia and we have some awfully HUGE UGLY HAIRY spiders here.... They live outside... and when they tresspass into my home I hit them with a really long handled broom on site! Lucky for us seeings australia is crawling with things we don't like there is alot of wonderful products we can use to minimise the chances of spiders on the inside. Although not ever so good for the environment fly sprays and long lasting boundary sprays around window openings and doors is the way to go. I think you can even get something that will automatically set off something every few minutes that kills all the bugs that might wander into a house, I don't use these because I'm a little worried about the over use of chemicals around the kids but apparantly they do work. Good luck with your icky spiders, I hope they all realise that inside is YOUR home and OUTSIDE is theres xox

What Jeremy said! Pull your sheets back at night and also look under your pillow-I've found the little jumping spiders there. If the house hasn't been lived in in a while, you could have more than usual. I got tired of smacking them and now just suck them up with the vacuum. Let 'em spin around in the plastic cup for awhile, then you know they're dead! Can you tell I've been bit once too many times?! :flowers:

yea it was built in 2007 and never lived in

Traci, get some bug bombs that include spiders in their hit list and set off one in every room in the house plus the basement (if there is one). That will kill off everything in the house now and give you a clean slate to work from. Read the label to see if it will kill the unborn spiders still in the egg sacs.

That done, vacuum every nook and cranny in the house ... along carpet edges, baseboards, door and window trims, inside closets, every corner where walls meet walls, walls meet ceilings, walls meet floors, and under stairs to suck up dead spiders, egg sacs, webs, etc. You probably h aven't been there long enough for them to have started nesting in your furniture, but I'd vacuum it all thoroughly anyway, just to be sure, especially the undersides of chairs and couches/sofas.

Then hire an exterminator to come regularly -- once a month, once every two months, whatever ... to spray the outside perimeter to take care of any that come along later.

I live in the high desert of NM and we have both of the dangerous ones, brown recluses and black widows...I do not mind spiders cause we do live way up in the middle of nowhere almost (have had bears in people's yards!)...our house is really a very old single wide we have added on to and it is not incredibly well sealed at all!! i have yet to see a brown recluse but those scare me! and I do see black widows quite often and just kill them...but really only outside do i see them (have to flip wood and rocks quickly and look before i pick up the wood or rock!) ...others are really harmless for the most part from what I understand...once there was a tarantula in the hall! LOL we get them migrating out here across the roads

If i was really worried i would call an exterminator too!

I'm of the spider lover side. Actually, the last thing I want in my house are the exterminators. I'm more afraid of the long term effects of the chemicals than spider bites - and I've known people who were bit by the recluse. They are rare, shy and not aggressive. They bite if you roll over them in bed. Black widows, well, you have to have a whole herd of them to do any real damage. I was bit by a wolf spider at camp - I got a little fever and my arm swelled slightly - nothing a little meat tenderizer couldn't get rid of in an hour or so.

Essentially, I leave the spiders be in my house, no bites yet. If it's a particularly big one I catch it and release it outside. We live near a lake, but we don't seem to have a spider in every corner of the house.