6/7/06 Throwing Shoes at the Bride??

The tradition of tying shoes to the back of the couple's car stems from Tudor times. Back then, guests would throw shoes at the bride and groom. If they or their carriage were hit, it meant good luck was bestowed upon them. Throwing old shoes after the bride is a sign that authority is being transferred from the bride's father to her new husband. A variation is for the bride's father to throw her shoe after the groom as a token of his surrender of his daughter.

Throwing rice and old shoes at the end of the ceremony is a custom that has its origin with the ancient Assyrians, Hebrews, and Egyptians who gave or traded sandals as a symbol of good faith when striking a bargain. In the case of marriage, the bargain was the transfer of a father's authority over his daughter, to her new husband. The bride's father would give the groom one of her old shoes and the groom would tap the bride over the head with it. That act symbolized the groom's acceptance of his new responsibility.

Yet other theories tell us that the tradition of tying shoes to the bumper of the car originated with "bride-stealing." As a sign of his anger, the bride's father would throw his shoes at the kidnapper groom with the stolen bride. Incidentally, it was also believed that leather had the power to ward off evil spirits!

Just a couple of stories I found

Melissa

When we were married, DH's best man was his roommate, who was from India. DH explained to him that one of the best man's duties was to protect the bridal car from vandalism, and he did an excellent job; no shoes, tin cans or anything else. I always thought the tin cans were frighten away the evil spirits with lots of noise to ensure a lucky marriage.

I didn't even have to do any research to answer this question.

What woman in her right mind would tie new shoes to a bumper!!??

Of course, we'd tie old shoes. The reason why we'd tie shoes is so that it would clean out our closets and then we could buy lots of pairs of new shoes.

-Susanne

I didn't even have to do any research to answer this question.

What woman in her right mind would tie new shoes to a bumper!!??

Of course, we'd tie old shoes. The reason why we'd tie shoes is so that it would clean out our closets and then we could buy lots of pairs of new shoes.

-Susanne

:D and the poor husband NOW has to "foot" the bill :blink:

Originally, shoes were only ONE of the many objects tossed at the bride to wish her a bounty of children (They should have tossed them at the groom, she already has to endure the pain involved with "bearing" the children :rolleyes:).

Shoes were perferred over the equally traditional Wheat & rice because from ancient times the foot was a powerful symbol. In several cultures, a womane experiancing difficulty in concieving was instructed to wear a piece of an old shoe at all times.

People preferred throwing old shoes because shoes because shoes have never been so inexpensive that people would throw new ones (They did not have payless & walmart back in the day Huh?)

Now a days with emphasis on delayed childbearing and family planning, the modern wedding ceremony is replete with customs meant to induce maximum fertility.

So all you mommas out there, if you wanna put the ancient "Momma curse" on your daughter (the one that goes something like this "I hope you have a daughter just like you" curse) be sure to have some shoes thrown at her (OLD ones)

:lol:

the ancient "Momma curse" on your daughter (the one that goes something like this "I hope you have a daughter just like you" curse)

I put it on DS#1 one day in his early adolescence (y'all know when I mean..) and it came to pass!lol

So all you mommas out there, if you wanna put the ancient "Momma curse" on your daughter (the one that goes something like this "I hope you have a daughter just like you" curse) be sure to have some shoes thrown at her (OLD ones)

:rolleyes:

One wasn't good enough. I wished twins.