I Wanna Be A......When I Grow Up 2/7/10

Minis On The Edge

Oh, I'm gonna play with this one! Part of why I haven't finished it yet is 'cause I can sit for hours, just looking at it and thinking about... well, mostly thinking about what I might have done; then I decide that I really like what I did do (sometimes because I absolutely refuse to rip out the darned wiring to change it!!!). Opening up my living room window wall to put in a door going out to the conservatory that I'm thinking of adding, is another one of those. I'll need to redo all the wiring in that room, meaning lifting up the flooring, etc., -- a nightmare, to me, at least. AND, if that's not bad enough, if the top of the conservatory is high enough, I was sort of thinking to make a garden up there (thanks, Jo Med! and leaving the roof flat, instead of putting on the supplied roof), but that would mean that I'd have to make an opening in the master bedroom so as to get out there. So, I've been just sitting and thinking about it!!! I know I won't be happy unless I do this, but I'll b**** and moan all the way through it, so it's easier to think and plan it out!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Now wait a minute! There are some of us that do NOT like the building part! I love the collecting and the decorating. The ones I'm having built and the two I hope I get later for a re-do is VERY exciting to me.

I love collecting the items and putting up wallpaper, looking for that special piece of furniture or bowl.

If you love building, my hats off to you, but I along with several ladies I know like the other end; decor and collecing and hunting.

We thank you!

Hello Douglas, KS lady. I used to know someone not to far from you. Been through there many times.

I still commend your ER help in Douglas, my son was a diabetic (died in 2008) but they were wonderful!

We are from Wichita.

Some topics are sure fun to read. I would sometimes like to be in a room with all of you and listen to these things being said in person, kind of like a play being performed on stage. I picture what all could be said further and how wonderful it is that all these people with one general passion think so different and yet so much alike. I love how one topic can get such a variety of coverage.

Here's a question.......how many of you have had more than one dedicated passion within miniatures? A 1/4 scale phase and a 1/2 scale phase. A fairy house phase then Victorian cottages. Wood then MDF. I know I have bounced all over. I have learned countless things. I have always wanted to 'just stick with' whatever I was in love with at the time. But it always changes. Am I a fickle miniaturist? When I grow up I'd like to be more focused. Since I will never grow up I guess that will never happen :)

...how many of you have had more than one dedicated passion within miniatures?...

I started out with late Victorian/ Edwardian era and small crofter cottage. I have begun moving from pre-WWI era to pre-WWII and expanded from 1:12 to include 1:24. I don't think of it as being fickle, though; more like growing my skills.

• Like 1

I think it's natural for tastes and passions to evolve. I started out with one inch scale and everything completely Victorian. Now I build both one inch and half inch scales (and have a quarter inch scale kit waiting). Half inch, though has become my passion and I'm drawn more and more to contemporary furnishings but still prefer the Victorian exteriors. I say, Go With It! :)

• Like 1

Took the test , organizer & creator.

yeah, I do tend to organize and sort things, but I hate math and all that. I can be a bit obsessive compulsive, but I try to avoid it whenever I can. I'm a details person, but that doesn't mean I'd like to be an accountant or corporate attorney. Mom thought I would be good at that, but I thought it sounded boring. I still get bored when DH starts talking about investments, tax rates and exchange rates and the worth of the American dollar. BTW, the cost of miniatures keeps climbing primarily because of the lessening worth of the dollar.

Creator - yes, that works, and even the "nonconformists" always thought I was an oddball.

I think there's a flaw in the test. I had a copy of the personality color test book back in the early 70's. What I recall was that I loved their color yellow and their brown. The thing is, I don't like brown. I just liked that one shade of brown. I really liked their shade of purple, but I don't like purple. I don't own anything purple.

In the book and the online test I really hated their shades of green and blue, but green happens to be a favorite color of mine, and I like a lot of blues.