Isn't genealogy interesting!!

Lynette Smith

My last name is Christie...my Dad was Arthur....and on a few occassions he would get mail addressed to Agatha Christie(author)..Maybe I should check it out!! LOL! :lol:

I always felt that I came from England/Wales during The 1400's-1600's..my

fave times..It's that Tudor thing!!!! :birthday::birthday:

SJP's heritage was so interesting that it almost seemed staged. I wonder how many celebrities they researched before finding the handful that are featured in this series. I'm sure they didn't pick the stars and send a camera crew out with them unless they knew the story would be fascinating.

In any event, the series is sure to pique more interest in family history research. :lol:

ok, you guys got me "re-hooked". Mom and I went for dinner and put down what we know.....then I went to ancestry.com and did the trial. Hard if you don't know a great grandparents names and so on...........start digging through ancestry. com's records where you THINK they are or from? Whew! I sure didn't get too far!

That is really interesting. I've always wondered about my family tree but great grandparents on both sides are from Ireland. My maternal grandmother married an Englishman from Pennsylvania but everyone else married Irish immigrants so most records are in Ireland. Just knowing that much explains a lot of why I am like I am. One day I'll have to look into it.

That sounds like my family. My family has lived in PA since the Revolution and they're mostly Irish. But it's hard to trace back to Ireland because we're not exactly sure where in Ireland they're from. Ships didn't exactly keep impecable records and everyone in my family named their children the same thing so we have a ton of Williams, Henrys, Roberts, and Thomases in the family. We're pretty confident that they family was originally from Scotland and got kicked out and fled to Ireland.

My mom was really into it. She visited state archives, researched libraries, and visited too many cemetaries to count. It's really facinating once you get into it. You learn much more history. I've learned more about the Revolution and land grants and land patents and colonial territories since getting into from my mom. What's really facinating was learning my family's land was bought from the local Indian tribe in the 1700s. It's facinating to know know that major battles the French and Indian war were fought in the area and my family, who owned a whiskey distillery, was involved in the Whiskey Rebellion, the first military squirmish in the new country post-Revolution. Let's just say that the locals were not on the government's side.

My mom was funny. She's passed away, but when she was living she was against Ancestry.com and some other pay genealogy sites because they charge for information that is free if you do the legwork and research it. She was against charging for information that should be open to all. She would only go to free sites that allowed open exchange of information.

Is anyone besides me going to be watching the genealogy series that starts tonight on NBC called "Who do you think you are?". It's on at 8 pm e/7 pm c time.

I watched that and it was pretty good. Wouldn't it be nice to have the resources available to search and be able to fly all over the country to check it all out! I thought the show was neat though so I sat my DVR to tape the future episodes because I am rarely home on Friday nights.

I finally broke down and subscribed to ancestry.com/ancestry.ca today. From the information I already had about my grandfather's grandparents, I knew that the grandmother (Eve Schell) was German, but born in Canada. Those grandparents were a brick wall until today. Within a short time, I learned that Eve's ancestors came from Germany via several generations that lived in German Flatts, New York. I had no idea that I was part American! You really can find some interesting information on there that I had been unable to find elsewhere!

If you missed any of the episodes of Faces of America or Who Do You Think You Are, they are available on line. Start here:

"Faces of America"

Episode 1

http://www.pbs. org/wnet/ facesofamerica/ video/episode- 1-our-american- stories/190/

Episode 2

http://www.pbs. org/wnet/ facesofamerica/ video/episode- 2-becoming- american/ 194/

"Who Do You Think You Are?" which debuted March 5, 2010:

http://www.nbc. com/who-do- you-think- you-are/video/ episodes/ #vid=1206958://http://www.nbc. com/who-do- you-thi...s/ #vid=1206958