A new member to our family

heidiiiii

Long story short..this poor dog was left outside with matted fur in the cold. My friend took her in, cut the matting, gave her a bath, and stuck a clearance sweater on her. She is the sweetest thing you ever did see. But my friend cannot keep her because she lives in an apartment. So we are going to take her in.

She does not even have a name (that we know of). We will get to that. I have to go buy her a collar. There is a rabies clinic tomorrow at Petco. And then I will make her a routine appt at the Vet to see how she is and if she is fixed. She weighs about 5 lbs and wears extra small clothes. She has sweet disposition.

What kind of dog is she?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking around and she kinda looks like a west highland white terrier. Yes..she does look kinda like a Norwich terrier also. You have to realize that my friend hacked away at the matts so she really needs to go to the groomer.

Then I will get a wire brush to keep the matting down.

February is rabies month. $5 for a rabies shot at Petco. I will take her tomorrow. Maybe they can enlighten me..LOL I want to take Perla for the rabies clinic but she does not do well in crowds..LOL She is a diva.

We have to take her to the vet so she can get individual attention.

Here is a non sweater photo..

Kinda reminds me of a small Benji!

OH what a cute dog. I am glad she has found a good home. She has lots of the Westie characteristics. If so you have a very special pet. Altho Westies can be very stubborn. Our friends had a Westie who stayed with us when they traveled. He was a super dog but when he didn't want to do something ..he didn't. I have read Westies are not for the weak minded or faint hearted. LOL. What ever her breed she looks like a real sweetie. What does Pearla think of the new roomie?

She has not come here yet so we dont know what that is going to be like. Perla is the queen and always will be. So we have to think of her well being.

She should be here in about an hour or so. I bought them both some chewies and I bought the new dog (we have to think of a name) a pink collar with spikes...LOL

I am told she is very sweet. She likes to be a lap dog. She has not made a mess in the house. She goes when you take her out.

She is energetic but not manic like. She is not a barker. She has barked but she is not a yapper.

I have Perla and i have had a beagle. I can handle yappers.

My sister has a Westie and that is what I thought of first when I saw the picture. But a lot of terriers have the same look it may be a different type or maybe just a mix. Whatever the breed it's adorable. They have blood tests they can do to determine the breed but I bet it's expensive.

She is here. She is sooo tiny. Like teacup tiny. She cannot walk up the stairs.

Perla is not pleased at all. What do I do to get her accustomed? Or not wanting to draw the other dogs blood?? LOL

I have never had to deal with pure jealousy off the bat like that. I am making alot of Perl so that she knows she is still the Queen.

We are thinking of naming her LuLu.

I will give her a once over tomorrow morning before I take her for her shots later on.

To be continued....

Heidi,

Here is a link to the HSUS on new dog intros. Also, I have read on a dog fostering list that it's good to walk them together. Dogs seem to relate better to each other if their human walks them together on leashes and it creates a non-competitive bonding activity for them. Good luck! It's so nice of you to take her in!

Thank you Traci.

The moment I read what you said, i went downstairs and grabbed two leashes and we went for a walk. Natalie had Perla and her friend Raymond had Lulu. Lulu acts like she has never been walked before but she figured out the leash in a couple minutes. They did not argue. Lu just watched Perl do her business.

Then we brought them inside, took the leashes off, and let them go. They both followed Nat out to the kitchen to get a baby carrot (perl ate hers) and Lu found the dog food over in the corner.

I will walk them both in the morning with just me.

I am wrong. She is not teacup but she is smaller then Perla. Small terrier. She just needs some good food, a bath tomorrow, and a haircut.

The story is rather sad.

My friend found out her neighbor upstairs found this dog someplace in the city. They let it poop out in the hallway and got into trouble with landlord. So they let her outside the house. My friend`s daughter found her out there when she came home that night. It was in the 30s.So they brought her in and cut all the matted hair off.

The friend could not keep her so our other friend pipes up and says she will take the dog. She brings it home and her boyfriend (who is very very ill) said No. He may end up having chemo and all sorts of things and it would not be fair to the dog.

So I asked Fred, he said no, I asked again (okay maybe ten more times) and he said okay.

She follows Natalie around the house. When you ask for a kiss, she gives one.

I checked the local paper for lost dogs and there were none. I will have the vet check for a chip just in case.

In the condition she was in, i have a feeling someone does not care what happens to her.

My friends know that when an animal comes to my house, they stay until the go over the Rainbow bridge. Unless there are just a bad bad bad seed. And we have all had some animals that were just not a good fit.

She is a honey. Perla is still apprehensive but I am making alot of her and there has been no barking or bloodshed.

Little Lu loves to be carried around. She is a definite lap dog. She was trying to get me to play. So I think I need to dig out some toys for her. She is scared of any noises (like when I put the package of frozen chicken on the counter, does not like feet touched, and is skiddish if you get behind her. But that will all change with time.

Her tail curls up near her back when she is not wagging it. It has a curl and lays flat.

Can any of you give me a rough estimate on how much a grooming on a toy will be? I know we live in different areas but everywhere I look online, I can see services provided but no prices!

It's so funny but terriers don't know they are little ....

So true. I read somewhere that terriers are born convinced of their own self-importance. :)

Good for you, Heidiiii for taking her in. Very soon somebody in your house is going to have a little white furkid velcroed to their hip. Which, of course, is just how it should be. :wave:

If she's got a bit of the terrier double-coat thing going on, a stripper comb is handy to keep around. Gets rid of the dead hair that doesn't respond to comb or brush.