A new member to our family

heidiiiii

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw... God bless you Heidi for your big heart and soft spot for lost pups...little Lu looks to be in good hands now and what a cutie she is - whatever breed she is...definitely a keeper. Perla will adjust - maybe begrudgingly, but its always tough when the King/Queen has to make room for another..you know how royalty is :p:wave: (i.e. - WE are not amused.. :) )

Good luck with your new furry friend - she's too cute!

Everything is going good so far. The only reason I can think that someone would dump her, is her coat. Meaning it costs too much to keep up. She does not like to be brushed at all. I am going to give her a bath today, cut out a couple small matts that were missed, and try to comb her out with the wire brush I bought.

Her coat is soft like a stuffed animal. It is not wiry at all. Perla is still a little bit miffed. She is still my number one pup. This is more like Natalie`s dog. It likes me alot but when she sees Natalie, she makes a bee line.

Thank you all for the grooming help. I never did make it to the Petco shot thing yesterday. I am feeling a bit better today but only a little. My throat is still sore and I feel like a cold is coming on.

I will call the vet and make an appointment for Friday. Shots, once over, age, and heart worm meds (gotta grab something for the floater). Then Perla will be next.

I am going to make some inquires to the different groomers. How often does a dog have to be shaped? This is all new territory for me. I am used to a wash and wear dog.

Perla IS the Queen and you better not forget it!

I have a little poodle/bischon mix and she gets groomed about every 2 months. I take her to a little independant groomer which is $25.00. Our local Petsmart is for her about $40.00. Emily was 3 when I got her and her previous owner did get her groomed but not on a regular basis and didn't comb her out that often, so she was matted and at first didn't like to be brushed. But now that she is being groomed and combed on a regular basis she doesn't mind that much. Once you get all the mats out of her fur she might tolerate being brushed out a little more.

Be careful using a wire brush. They can HURT. They pull the hair and scratch. This may be why she's skittish about grooming now.

She may tolerate combing a little bit at a time with a plastic comb. There is an inexpensive comb that has a handle and double row of teeth, one fine, one coarse. Use the coarse side first.

It may be that you'll have to ease into it. Hold her and stroke her with the same touches she'll feel during combing. When she has accepted that, then run the back of a regular comb or pencil or something hard using the same motions. When she has accepted that, then try using a comb on just the outer layer of fur so there won't be hard tuggings. As the outer layer becomes tidy, dig a bit deeper. And always be ready to clip out matted clumps. Think archealogy dig. :wave:

Spoken from experience.

PS: having a treat handy doesn't hurt.

Good for you Heidi and family. We have a pug that somebody walked up to us in the parking lot of PetSmart and gave to us, said he couldn't keep him anymore. Well, the little guy had a few issues, among them being someone had just BUTCHERED his nails, they were nothing but tiny little nubbins. They also had apparently tormented him with paper bags because he was just scared to death of them for the longest time, don't know what they did to him, but he'd run and cower when you had one in your hand. He wouldn't even eat at first unless I hand fed him piece by piece.

First time I tried to cut his nails, it was just awful, he tried to bite and get away from me, hubs tried to hold him while I cut and he just got frantic and hysterical. You'd think a big man would have no problem holding a pug - NOT - I've never seen anything like it. We had to give up the first time. Next day, I rolled him over on his back and rubbed his belly until he was asleep then clipped one real quick. Course that got him started again so had to pet him until he calmed down, then did another one, etc. I think it took 2 hours to cut his nails the first time. It took years before I was able to cut all of them at once without him fighting me. I still can't reach across him when I'm doing his nails, guess he feels like I'm restraining him, so I just reposition him.

He's still not real happy with getting his nails done, but since tooth brushing is always the last thing, he's happy when we get done with his "beautification". He loves to have his teeth brushed - actually I should say he loves the toothpaste, thinks it's his treat. Tooth brushing is always the last thing we do, even when we are just getting the folds in our faces cleaned, ears cleaned, or whatever grooming is necessary. I get the chicken or beef flavored enzyme toothpaste and all 4 pugs think it's yummy, although 1 objects to the indignity of having that thing (toothbrush) stuck in her mouth - she's the queen of the household.

Whoever had Lulu probably didn't take the time to brush her often enough to keep the mats out and then they were probably rough with her when they finally did it so she's come to associate brushing with bad things. Just be gentle, patient and loving with her and hopefully she'll settle down and learn to enjoy it. I'd second the plastic comb/brush though. Those wire ones can hurt. Good luck with her.

Karen

I did break out a regular comb.

Gave her a bath (she did not like it but she let me do it), towel dried her a bit (she liked that), and then I broke out the hair dryer. I was waiting for the suicide attempt but there was none. She sat on my lap and let me give her a blow out!

I even got the gunk that was encrusted near her eyes. She has a scratch on her head..I think that was from my friends cat that did not like her.

She smells like baby powder and she looks great! Still needs a major cutting but I will leave that to the professionals.

For once Perla did not have to get the bath first! LOL but she IS next.

For once Perla did not have to get the bath first! LOL but she IS next.

When I had 3 or 4 chihuahuas, bath day was always a game. The first one was taken by surprise, but the others had lots of time to hide. And they were very creative in their hiding places. :wave:

Freya,

I have thinning shears in the house. That is a great idea. Thank you!

I would have no problem grooming her myself but I am afraid of doing her face. Plus I want to know how to handle her feet. She has very hairy feet. I cannot even see her nails. I do not want to hurt her.

She is so sweet and I will never truly understand why they got rid of her. I have been thinking. I might take down the clothes line and put the dog runner back up. The same heavy duty screws for the runner are still in place.

Then I can get harnesses for both of them and on nice days when someone is outside, I can put them out on their runs. I will not leave them out there alone because of the turkey buzzards.

It is funny that I say this because I live in a city. Skunks, Raccoons, turkey buzzards, turkeys even! LOL I doubt I will ever see a Deer but maybe a coyote.

She is clingy. She wont go nap on the couch or on the floor in the livingroom. She has to be where ever anyone else is. Since I am at the computer, she will sit on the floor behind me. But she would much rather lay on my stomach/keyboard rest so that I can type and she can have human contact. She is the ultimate lap dog.

If I wanted to carry her around with me everywhere, she would let me. She is actually resting on my right hand as I type. This is hilarious.

You have a baby in the making. That's the way my little boy is, he follows me everywhere, rarely lets me out of his sight, has to sit on or right next to me if I'm on the couch. Only bad thing is he has separation anxiety and lets us know that he is VERY unhappy when mommy leaves him - we have to gate him in a small area otherwise we have little yellow puddles in various spots all over the house. Fortunately, floors are tile but still..... Otherwise, he's just a perfect little boy, it's only when I leave him.

I think the ones that haven't been in good homes just latch on to the first person that shows them consistent kindness and love. He is so different in personality from our 3 girls that have only known being spoiled rotten since they were tiny puppies when we got them.

Karen

Lu was a good girl at the vet, well part of the time she was. She is approximately 2 -3 years old based on the tartar on her teeth. She has no microchip. He could not see a scar from being fixed. So either it faded away or I have to wait to see if she goes into heat.

She weighs 5lbs and change. She is not over or under weight. He figured out when he was taking her blood for heartworms, that she has a collapsible trachea. When dogs with that condition get overly excited, they cough. On rare occasions Perla coughs too.

He said it is not anything to be overly concerned about but I should by harnesses for both of them. He says it happens to smaller breed dogs.

He has no idea what she is. Some sort of Toy breed or a very small terrier. He said the groomer would have a better idea. I will be making the grooming appointment next.

He was angry that someone would just dump such a sweet little girl. I was crossing my fingers when he was scanning her for a microchip. I did not want one to be found.

I still scan the paper but no lost dog ads. She is not lost. Someone did not want her because they could not afford the expense. I have a feeling she has never ever been groomed.

That is why she is so skiddish when it comes to bath and brushing or anything.

She is in a good home now.

If whe's 2-3 years old, just 5 pounds & her coat's soft, betcha she's not a Westie; the ones I've met are larger, heavier, with coarse coats of really straight hair, and look a bit more like Scotties in the face. Whatever she is, she is just as cute as she can be, with such a sweet little face! I don't understand how anybody could neglect and abandon such a precious, and she's obviously in good hands now.

I'm very glad that she found you, Heidi - I only wish the previous owner could be held accountable for their actions. I will never understand how anybody could be cruel and heartless to an innocent, vulnerable, helpless animal (pet or otherwise).

I talked to the groomer that does her work at the vet office. She charges $35..way below what is being charged at Petco. So I made Lu an appt for Friday.

She asked me some questions about how she looks. When I told her about her tail, she thinks that Lu is a Terrier/Chihuahua mix. I look at her and you know what..her tail looks exactly like Perla`s tail.

So mystery may be sort of solved. She will look at her coat and we will decide how to cut her. I like how she is like a teddy bear but her face really needs to be cleaned up. She will be a new girl when it is done.

I will post pics on Friday after her morning hair appt.

Congratulations on the new baby Heidi! Bless you for taking such a baby in ..... I would have done the same. People can be so heartless and cruel. If they don't want a dog, they shouldn't have one. Strange though they kick her out when she is 2 or 3 years old. !#@%!% people!

Why is everyone so ready to assume that the poor thing was kicked out or abandoned deliberately? She could have escaped from someone passing through, and that family might be heartsick at their loss yet unable to do anything about it. Little dogs are quick. Here one second, gone the next. I've fostered a few that were gone for good -- obviously well cared for but on their own, unable to reunite them with their owner. Nobody knows what their backstory story is. The fact that LuLu found a good home is the part of the story to focus on. :angry:

Heidi, you are an angel for taking this little sweetheart in. I have a Westie and your little sweetie is way too small to be a Westie - they average 15-20 pounds. My guess would be a Yorkie/Maltese mix - she has a Yorkie face, head and ears and her white color and long hair would be from a Maltese. She is adorable and I hope you enjoy each other for many years to come.

Valerie

Kathie,

I sat here for an hour and scanned back thru months of lost animal postings in the paper and on our local freebie site. I did not see anything. If the vet scanned a chip on her, I would have went to look for her owner. I went to my neighbor, the dog warden..he said there was no one asking about a dog like her. He was glad I took her in.

I have a clear conscience on this.

It is strange that someone would abandon such a young dog but there may be extenuating circumstances. The Human society in our area is full. They cannot take anymore..same with the dog warden.

Her coat was awful. My friend could tell she was in pain from the hair pulling every time she moved. That is why they did such a hack job on her. They just want to relieve her of the pain.

So for whatever reason...she is ours now and we are happy. I have to go out today and shop for two dog harnesses.