Did your mother wear slacks?

grazhina

Look in Grazhina's Picasaweb album at the 1942 Good Housekeeping issue. In it is a marvelous article on the question of should women wear slacks at all. Their male panel basically said no -- unless the slacks are man-tailored and the woman has a tight little behind. Anyone surprised? :lol:

Thanks, Grazhina!

Now I rarely wear dresses or skirts. I have a couple summer dresses that I will put on when it is really hot out and I want to be cooler around the house. Both of the my girls wear skirts on a regular basis and this is the norm for many of their friends.

Funny how times turn right around again huh?

I always (and so did Natalie and Chelsea) had a new Easter dress when I was young. As I got older though, I never bought a new Easter outfit.

I was born in 1950.....and I remember my Mom dressed in capris pants with a peasant blouse and huge earrings....always different!!She was still a "wild woman" and a delight to all my friends when she passed away in 2001.How I miss her!!!!

She's probably watching me write this...Hi,Mom!! :lol:

I think women started wearing pants when they worked in the defense plants during WW2. They could hardly wear skirts and dresses riveting. I remember the picture of Rosie the Riveter. My mother never wore pants then or later. My uniform is jeans and a polo top, sweat shirt in winter or big shirt. I have several skirts in the closet if I ever need to go somewhere where jeans would not be appropriate. Katherine Hepburn always wore pants unless the movie role called for skirts or dresses. I'm with her. :lol:

Heck no! My mother never wore slacks or pant suits! She also never wore earrings or fingernail polish.

I wasn't allowed to do anything that was fun - even listen to the "BAD" radio for crying out loud! If dancing came on the TV, we had to immediately change the channel.

I wasn't allowed to dance, even in the grade-school dances during class. It was a given that I would not go to any prom. I was still popular in school but I don't know how the heck that happened!

But I'm over it! :) I just have this one little twitch over my eye. :)

I was scanning a few more pages from a 1949 magazine today and came across an article by a man reminding other men that they shouldn't be jeering at women's fashions since they have a few skeletons in their own closets.

He recalled how in the early 1920's his college roommate made a daring decision and went out and bought himself some "low shoes". Before that no real man would be caught dead in anything but a high button shoe, but since young men who had bravely fought in WW1 were now wearing them, they were no longer considered "sissy".

He went on to say that at that time, men who wanted to move up in the world didn't wear brown shoes. Brown shoes were just barely acceptable.

It's kind of a long article spread out over several pages, but I'll scan it later.

I just saw this thread and my mother would NEVER wear anything but a dress. A cotton "house dress" if she was working at home, always stockings and gloves and a hat to church no matter what!

The last time I put on a dress was for my son's wedding in 2006! :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is awesome. I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses!

My family went through several fashion trends, sometimes in line with what was going on in the "real world" and sometimes not! My mom used to wear a lot of dresses and skirts but now she's got mostly pants. She discovered yoga pants (those stretchy, sometimes velvety comfy pants) and has decided they are the BEST invention EVER!

My sister and I disapproved of some of my mother's pants - those horried 90's narrow leg black/white (stonewashed?) jeans. UGH.

I like a mixture, myself. I love long flowy "peasant" skirts in the spring, short swirly skirts in the summer, and leggings and mini skirts in the fall. Winter...well, I have to wear tons of layers. So pants, "long johns," knee socks, etc. LOL.

I have a few dresses since I play at weddings a lot, but most of what I have is comfy wear. If it's not comfy, why wear it?!