What's Your Opinion On The Best Paint???

Brezavaqt

I know that everyone has a preference of materials/supplies when it comes to minis. But I was just sitting here trying to figure out what paint brand is the best? I just purchased some Velspar and I'm hoping it's a good paint (well, I sent my bf to Lowes to replenish my paint supply for my dollhouse and he came back with Velspar; the lady told him it was the best for a dollhouse-I'm just glad she matched my color perfectly).

What do you all think? Someone was telling me (she's been building dh's for YEARS) that the craft paints just aren't that great; the craft paints don't do the right amount of justice to the dh wood to bring out the beauty of the potential dh.

I'm anxious to see what you all have been using because some of the dh's on this forum are simply to die for!

I use whatever white satin or semigloss finish interior latex paint is cheapest and mix colors I want with acrylic paints from the tube (I use a very basic palette). I also use whatever sample paints in the 2-oz jars come in colors I like. Recently Glidden had a free quart of paint offer and that's what I'm using now. I sometimes buy craft paints from the thrift store, if I think I can use them.

If you're using made for house paint, I don't think the brand matters very much. The finish is more important. A high gloss finish tends to show every imperfection because of the light reflecting off of it seems to throw off the scale. I like a satin or eggshell finish. Even the semigloss is too shiny for my taste.

I sometimes use craft paints for small things ... furniture, shelves, etc. .. but not for dollhouse walls, inside or outside.

If you use a good craft paint like Ceramcoat, you will get a good finish. That's the one that I use. Folkart is not too bad, but Ceramcoat is my number one. No to cheap craft paint! I have been using Ceramcoat on miniatures for almost 30 years now. It is finer textured than house paint. It doesn't lose detail in mini moldings and other small things like house paint does. Maybe you can tell I am not a house paint fan. It is meant to cover larger areas so it doesn't worry about small detailing. Just one long time miniaturist's opinion. To each his own.

• Like 1

I use whatever brand latex satin housepaint I can find on sale...or in "boo-boo bins" (where someone has returned it because they didn't like the color)...or in those small bottles of samples I can buy for around $2 a bottle (one bottle is usually enough for two coats for most of the houses). I really dislike the craft paints..they seem to leave a "muddy" finish that I find most unpleasant. I used Ceramcoat on my two Houseworks roomboxes, and they're on the list to be re-painted at the first opportunity!

I think for the amount you need for a dollhouse, brand isn't as important as the finish. As the others said, a gloss finish shows every imperfection, but the satin seems to look "natural".

anyway, that's my opinion.. :)

We used Velspar on our house and it gives great coverage, worth the extra money. However, because it is so thick, I wouldn't use it on a dollhouse. I have bought sample jars of Behr to paint exterior walls and am priming interiors with that free can of paint I got from Glidden. But as far as final colors and painting smaller things, I use craft paint, mostly Ceramcoat. I also buy the basic colors and big jars of white and mix my own colors. House paint is so thick that it tends to blur the details and edges on small things.

I like Velspar on my RL house but for the DH projects whatever is on sale works for me. I do like FOLKART paints for their color and smooth paints but I found out lately that their cheaper grade works well also. You just might need more coats of paint sometimes.