1940's magazines

grazhina

I've got pages from Woman's Day Nov 1941 issue, and Good Housekeeping Apr. 1947, American Home, July 1947, and am closing in on finishing Good Housekeeping April 1942.

The '42 issue had a spread of several pages about decorating a small defense house. Small houses were quickly built all over the country to house defense workers and their families. This particular house was at 320 Burnsford Ave. in Bridgeton Connecticut, in case any of you live near there.

Albums

http://picasaweb.google.com/grazhe

Grazhina, what a great issue! The ivy wallpaper in the boys' room is almost exactly the paper I'm putting into the kitchen of the quilt shop. And I saw so many other touches that I recognize from our house and those of friends and relatives. :lol:

Ah, my DM made me a skirt for my dressing table when I was in junior high school (7th-9th grade, for all you who came along later & attended Middle School). She also made herself an ivy stencil from waxed paper and stenciled herself curtains for our kitchen windows.

Come to think of it, my sister and I had a dressing table with a skirt in our bedroom. I don't recall if it came with a skirt or my mother made one. I think it was given to us by someone who didn't want or need it any longer. I don't recall it being used much for grooming. Turned into more of a catch-all, since it was just inside the door of our room.

My mother made a skirt for our claw-foot bathtub, however. She had twill tape with hooks sewn along it that she sewed to the skirt. Dad glued matching twill tape with eyelets to the tub, under the out turned lip, so the skirt could be removed for laundering. The two tapes came packaged together -- in the pre-Velcro era! :lol:

Just wanted to let you all know I've finished adding Woman's Day,Nov. 1949. Included are 8 pages of instructions on how to make 40's-50's gifts like a glove box, a girl's camisole and felt baby slippers.

I thought I was done with the 1940's issues, but last night I found a 1943 issue of Life in my box with some interesting wartime ads.

I've added a whole slew of scans to Picasa.

http://picasaweb.google.com/grazhe

I found about 80 that I did last fall and forgot about. It's a good thing I found them or I might have done them all over again.

The magazines are 1940's, 1951 and some pictures from a 1961 home building magazine. Most of the scans are ads and recipes this time around, but the Nov. 1951 issue of Woman's Day had pages and pages of gifts you can make. I put them in their own album.

I've held off on the issue of Life, will get around to that one.

Here's what's interesting about the 1950s gift suggestions. They assume the reader has some experience in sewing and/or crafting with various materials. I think many contemporary 20-somethings would be totally baffled.

Kathie you are right!!! i went and re looked :lol:

How interesting!! makes you wonder what the contemporary 20 somethings children will make of it....i think by then there will be lots of lost crafts ... sad really :p

Here's what's interesting about the 1950s gift suggestions. They assume the reader has some experience in sewing and/or crafting with various materials...
We were! Grazhe, do you have any copies of Workbasket from the 50s? I loved the ads for the Nursing correspondence schools; nurses could make up to $1500 a year! (close your eyes, Audra & Doogster!)

Nope, mostly Better Homes & Gardens and Good Housekeeping. I had the one American Home, a Life, some Women's Day, a Family Circle (I think), a 1950's Holiday, and some other old magazine I'd never heard of. I think that's it.