Easter and Passover 2010

heidiiiii

No ham for us this year. I think my days of cooking a big ham are over until the girls have their own families and come over for a holiday meal. I am thinking about doing Lasagna.

Two versions. Vegan and Meaty meat meat meat meat..ROFL

Deviled eggs (of course)

salad

rolls or Italian bread

and I have not figured out our dessert yet.

I am going to make Easter bread though. But that is more for breakfast.

It will just be the four of us (i think). I do not know if Fred has to work or not.

I was really thinking of just throwing the whole traditions out the window and cook out on the grill for Easter..LOL We will see what I do.

What about you?

Are you hosting?

Over the river and through the woods?

What are you planning on having?

Recipes to share are good.

easter08-easter-bunny-bunny-colorful-smiley-emoticon-000166-large.gif

Is it that time already? Haven't given it a thought. But I know one thing, since I joined Weight Watchers :) it will be something I can have on the plan without breaking my food choice bank. It' will be a small group (John and I for sure) and maybe our Brian. Don't know if Betsy works. Have already told the group that they are on their own for foods that I choose not to have. Hope the Easter bunny forgets where we live and there will be no jelly beans delivered. :)

I haven't consulted with anyone in the family yet about our Easter dinner, but I'm really wanting baked ham, potato salad, oven-baked beans, seven-layer salad & cornbread.

Since I'm the one that will do all the cooking for the meal (and the shopping, hosting, etc) I think it's only fair that I get to select the menu - so "consulting with the family" really just consists of my telling them what we're having :wave:

We're cheating this year. We are going to Ft. MacPherson to eat their Easter Buffet. My step-dad takes ALL of us (10+him and Mama) every few years, which is really sweet of him. It's really yummy, and Mama (or us) doesn't have to cook!

Heidi, what is Easter bread? I think I've heard of it, but have no clue what it is. Have a recipe?

Edit: Nevermind on the Easter bread, I looked it up. Looks yummy! I think I could even make that... I might get adventurous and try. I saw some pictures with colored eggs baked into it, that was really pretty!

oh easter bread my grandmother (on dads side) always used to make it for us each of the grand kids got a bunny shaped one that she made with an egg in the middle for the tummy very cute.

this year the hubs is working on good friday so ill be going alone down to my parents for the fish blah!! supper im not a big fish person but ill eat the pasta part, mom is making lamb this year and a small ham im not sure were we are going may stay home this year just the 2 of us and see what happens not even sure what the in laws are doing so we will go from there but i cant wait to have some of my mom's pickled eggs yum :wave:

On Good Friday we will be on our way from Ft Pickens to Pensacola Beach andSunday should find us hiking from Nassau Beach to the trailhead North of the bridge above Holley, FL; so IF I'm cooking, it won't be fancy!

I love to make a big fish dinner for Good Friday. My Mom did it so I do it. I break out the fresh spices and everything..LOL

Natalie has vetoed the lasagna. Darnit!

I still do not know if Fred will be home or not. Maybe we will cook out. Or I will cook out..hehe It would be nice to do. AND it will give Fred the push to get the junk people here sooner to clean up the mess in the back patio. I want everything tossed. (except the bbq and my iron plant stand). I want a clean slate out there for when I buy the patio furniture of my dreams. ROFL

I need to get something that is also squirrel proof-ish. And I want a huge Market umbrella. So I can sit out there and enjoy the day.

You want to know what I miss about having older kids? The Easter egg hunt we used to throw every year. I would get up at 5am and put the eggs out for them to find in my yard and two of the neighbors yards (we had permission). We had my kids and two other families kids participate. They are all grown up now.

Must wait for grandkids I guess..LOL

Do any of you hold or participate in a Easter Egg hunt?

The Easter Bunny hides eggs in our house for the kids to find when they get up. The kids are getting big now (10, 13, and 18) and we've been in this house 8 Easters already, so it's starting to get a little old and the kids know where the hiding places are. But I doubt he'll stop, at least not for a while longer.

And then later in the afternoon we always go to Mama's for dinner, and she hides eggs for the 6 grandkids out in the yard.

But we don't do any big hunts or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

We're celebrating Passover & Easter this year!

We have a friend who is Messianic Jew and who wants us to come to Passover at her house (I've celebrated Passover before, having several MJ friends), which I REALLY hope we do...

And we'll celebrate Easter with an Art Exhibit and After-Lent party at our church (Anglican) - we all bring the stuff we gave up for Lent and dance/eat the night away. Such fun! DH and I are doing a photo shoot for part of the art exhibit so I'm excited about that.

I don't know what we're eating for Easter...we're a little too poor at the moment to get a ham, but since neither of us eat it much we won't be missing it! I think I'd like rotisserie chicken, sauteed vegetables, and some sort of tasty bread. Too bad hubby will want stroganoff! LOL. There's a happy medium somewhere, right?!

Since our extended family dynamics have changed drastically in the last 3 years we don't have family get-to-gethers on holidays anymore. I thought with the change I would start a new tradition by serving something other than ham for Easter dinner. No such luck. John vetoed all my suggestions and wants ham. So ham I guess it is. I don't know if Brian and Betsy will come for dinner or not. She might be scheduled for work. I am -10 since joining Weight Watchers a month ago, so do not want lots of high fat or high coloric side dishes. Coleslaw with vinegar dressing.

I am NOT doing ham. I swear it. I am doing good with the walking and Fred has been doing well with the high blood pressure..so no ham. I have the charcoals for the grill.

I think we are going to grill for Easter.

We will have the patio cleaned off by then (i hope) .

Deviled eggs are definitely on the menu. Asparagus with olive oil and sea salt. A nice big salad. Challah bread. and I do not know what for the grill itself. I could do the pesto pork chops.

Other then that..I have no idea. Maybe pesto boneless chicken breasts??