Would you do this trip?

Scotty

In April 2012 it is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. One enterprising company is running a memorial sailing in a similar size ship to Titanic and following the same route on the same dates/times etc. They will be over the the sinking point at the time she went down. She will then follow the route of the Carpathia to Nova Scotia. Apparently every attempt to recreate the experience of the sailing (same menu etc) has been made.

Assuming you were a good sailor and were offered a free place, would you do this trip?

I don't think I could do it as I'd be a nervous wreck the whole time thinking about the tragedy and feeling insecure in 50 tonnes of metal.

Edited by Scotty

Nope. I love the history of the Titanic from the safety of my home - which will not sink! I have no desire to even go on a cruise, to be in the middle of the ocean, no land in site... :(

I love to cruise, but I'd pass on this one. I think it would be a very melancholy trip. It would be hard not to dwell on the fate of doomed passengers.

I have to agree with Kathie. I don't "do" cruises, but I grew up playing on & in the water. The Titanic's history is just too sad & melancholy for me to enjoy duplicating its cruise.

i was thinking wow free trip of historical significance YES! then reading posts i thought hmmm maybe it would be too sad...I dont fly anymore...last flight was to and from my brother's end....and if i go anywhere in the world, and i want to, it will be by ship, freighter i think LOL

Interesting the mixed response to this. Like many of you, I don't sail either and initially when I saw it advertised I thought that's really morbid, but then on reflection people visit cemetaries and battlefields and the like, so why not a spot in the ocean? For the history part of the trip I would much rather go on a harboured recreation of the actual ships Olympic/Titanic because aside from the tragedy they were remarkable feats of shipbuilding and the luxury of them was apparently outstanding, so for this I would love to walk around an interior.

Until the morbid aspect of the trip was mentioned, I was all for it. Even if the 2012 cruise did encounter iceburgs, we have surface radar, satcom global positioning, enhanced communications and countless other features that would prevent the same disaster or at the very least make rescue much more likely.

I remember back when James Cameron's movie came out there was talk of at least one company having a replica of the Titanic built for transatlantic cruises. It would have sailed by now if it had been built, so I think it was scrapped. I'm sure they would probably have trouble finding passengers due to the morbid history. There was also a question as to comfort. Coal burning ships wouldn't be allowed in the U.S. due to pollution, who would want to shovel coal for a living, and the original titanic didn't have air conditioning.

Nope..not me. Cruises are OK, but I think this one would be pretty depressing, for me anyway. I remember when we went to the museum in Chicago when they were displaying items recovered from the Titanic - I found it way too morbid to be standing there looking at items whose owner's died so tragically. While it was interesting, it permeated the whole room with a feeling of such sadness, and I couldn't help but feel like I was trespassing, or walking on someone's grave :(

Wow, I have never heard of this. Very interesting. Does anybody know the name of the company that is thinking about doing this?

I'm sort of stuck in the middle as far as yes or no - yes, it would be a once in a lifetime sort of trip - no, what if history did repeat itself?

Just imagine stopping in the middle of the ocean, in the middle of a dark black night, knowing you are on the exact spot where so many people lost their lives. Eerie.

Rebecca, me, too! I surprised myself when we toured Andersonville, I don't remember how many tissues I went through.

I had an ancestor who died at Andersonville.

I've been fascinated by the Titanic since I was a kid, so yes, I'd go. I went to the exhibit when it was in town on my birthday. My friends and I have talked about having a Titanic dinner (I have the cookbook with the last menu and we'd all wear period costume), but everyone is always busy with taxes.

Positive changes did come about as a result of the tragedy, which probably saved many more lives in the long run. Sometimes it takes a major event to effect change.

I'm certain that such a cruise would be conducted with the utmost respect, and honor those who perished. I see little difference than a trip to Ground Zero, Pearl Harbor, Gettysburg, or Auschwitz. I'd expect ceremonies similar to those conducted at sites of great tragedies.

Hmmm, boy I dunno. From a historical aspect it would be a fascinating trip to take, especially if the recreation of all the conditions (well, not ALL - NO iceburgs, please!) were well done. I suspect that eerie moment when the ship would be in the exact spot where it met the iceburg would be a solemn and dignified moment of respect for those who passed, and could be one of those moments you never ever forget.

I'm something of a sensitive and honestly don't like to go places where major tragedies have happened, because I can get overwhelmed pretty easily, so I've never been tempted to go to Ground Zero, Pearl Harbor, Mount St. Helen's (which is at least near by) and even films of Auschwitz have me curled in a ball. But this would be a recreation, rather than the real thing, and could be a way to honor both the tragedy and those who suffered from it in a very powerful way, as well as experience what life was like then.

I''d be very, very tempted to go, I think.