Greenleaf's Fourth Annual Spring Fling Contest

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carol, you've posted 5 times now so you can start your Gallery -- we all want to see your wonderful creation! How clever to go UP with it, instead of OUT :mellow:

;) I brought a pizza to the party -- hope we don't make so much noise we can't hear Dean posting the results!

Since I entered an unfinished SF, I've been quietly lurking while you all party. I'm not really a good party person anyways and so I've been letting it be for the ones who really did all the hard work.

BUT I'm telling you truly ... this is getting incredibly hard to wait.

I was trying to figure out who I would pick for the 3 winners and I just can't narrow it down to three. It's absolutely impossible !!! There are SO many fantastic interpretations and just to think of what we haven't seen yet - yikes !! The judges will need a sabbatical after all this intense critiquing.

I believe that ALL who entered are winners indeed and all that are still working to finish theirs, will join them in the winners circle as they are completed.

Oh and just for the record, I've decided to skip the 2nd contest completely 'cuz it just doesn't feel right to me anymore.

BTW - I do vote for a tad bit more time to complete the contest next year. Maybe start a bit earlier when we all still have the winter doldrums. (Feb 1 maybe so we have winter break on our side) Spring is such a super busy time of year for anyone who has kids in school - what with concerts, scince fairs, year end projects, ball practices and dance recitals and so on. Just a thought ...

BTW - I do vote for a tad bit more time to complete the contest next year. Maybe start a bit earlier when we all still have the winter doldrums. (Feb 1 maybe so we have winter break on our side) Spring is such a super busy time of year for anyone who has kids in school - what with concerts, scince fairs, year end projects, ball practices and dance recitals and so on. Just a thought ...

If I could add one more idea to the Spring Fling "Wish List" . . . I would also like for us to be able to send a couple more pictures. I just don't think that 3 does a project justice. I know it takes time for the judges to look at the pictures, but I do think it could actually save time and simplify the judging process if they could see more detail. For instance, on my fling, I had to totally leave out pictures of 3 of the interior rooms. I am sure others could have used a couple of extra pics, too. One thing I noticed this time is that the people who stuck with the basic structure and didn't add much achieved better photo coverage for the judging. If GL sticks with the 3-picture rule, I'll have to keep that in mind next year.

Since I entered an unfinished SF, I've been quietly lurking while you all party. I'm not really a good party person anyways and so I've been letting it be for the ones who really did all the hard work.

I am with you. I entered a pretty bare bones SF because I ran out of time. There was so much more I wanted to do with it but I ran out of time. As it is I barely got the photos in before midnight. I have been looking at the galleries and I think all the entries are stunning and I could never pick just three. I would have a 40 way tie for first place and give everyone a pick from the Greenleaf Store. I guess it is a good thing I am not a judge, because I would have a very hard time picking a winner.

whaaattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!! i'm up and running down the hallway...turn on the computer...wait for ever till it does its updates...throw myself into the forum and.....and....and..... nothing :woohoo:

looks like another party then :mellow: or are we still going ? ;)

Are you joking? We're still going. Boy, we're going to end up putting the Frat and Sorority houses to shame with our week long party! Hmmmm... I wonder how that would work for a Spring Fling project...even if it was only partly finished it would still work with windows hanging from their sils, wallpaper peeling...Lots of fun! Or maybe someone could do a real live miniturized version of the 2010 SF online party complete with apple puckers, blueberry daqueries, muffins and nachos. Much more dignified! And of course several computers in the room with different galleries and our support group on the large screen TV monitor! Just imagine being able to see people's SF galleries on a large screen TV, I wonder if the judging committee has thought about doing that?!?

Edited by jandjhartley

The nicest thing about this party is that no matter how much food and drink we bring to the group there are no calories involved! :woohoo:

Someone a few posts back commented on the difficulty in sending in only 3 pix. I agree! I took 68 pictures of mine and had a terrible time narrowing it down to 3 to be submitted. A lot of detail had to be ignored. With only 3, the front and back are a given, leaving only 1 to capture some detail.

And I would LOVE to start this earlier! I'd like it to start right after Christmas -- some of us might even have some Christmas $$ to spend ;) But creativity, like a good stew, needs time to simmer!

Hope Dean didn't have a nervous breakdown! Maybe we'd better check the local hospitals and send him some flowers! :mellow:

If I could add one more idea to the Spring Fling "Wish List" . . . I would also like for us to be able to send a couple more pictures. I just don't think that 3 does a project justice. I know it takes time for the judges to look at the pictures, but I do think it could actually save time and simplify the judging process if they could see more detail. For instance, on my fling, I had to totally leave out pictures of 3 of the interior rooms. I am sure others could have used a couple of extra pics, too. One thing I noticed this time is that the people who stuck with the basic structure and didn't add much achieved better photo coverage for the judging. If GL sticks with the 3-picture rule, I'll have to keep that in mind next year.

Although I also could have used more time (most likely for me it would be more time to procrastinate ;) ) and submit more pictures (I don't think the judges could see the anatomy pictures on my walls)...I think it helped the judges because there were fewer entries and less pictures to look at and say, "Oh did you see this?"

More time - more pictures - both good ideas.

I don't know how any of you narrowed it down to three pictures. There was so much wonderful detail in everyone's projects!

And more time - well I might have considered entering if more time had been allotted - I knew that I wouldn't be able to finish anything in the time given - and I raise a hearty toast to all of you who did! ;)

I agree with both the time and the number of pictures. None of us showed all of the sf features we did.

all entries were ausome. My camera wasn't working well, so all pictures were blurry.

But I am no compatition. This was my second house and i'm still learning how to make things. Thanks to everyone for all the fantastic ideas and good luck to all.I'm also on edge waiting to see all who have won.

Donna, your idea and execution appear to be very nice. I'm sorry about the fuzzy pictures. That could be a problem. Even if it's too late for the competition, why don't you try to get better photos so WE can see what you did?

Well, here it is, midnight again -- and I am alone on the Forum :woohoo: The pizza box is empty, the wine is gone, ;) but there's a little ice cream left! Don't worry -- I'll pick up the clutter and turn out the lights. Goodnight all :mellow:

Well, here it is, midnight again -- and I am alone on the Forum :woohoo: The pizza box is empty, the wine is gone, ;) but there's a little ice cream left! Don't worry -- I'll pick up the clutter and turn out the lights. Goodnight all :mellow:

Goodnight? Are you kidding? I just brought my daughter to school. Day has just started here....

Have a good night, and thanks for the cleaning.

I'll trow some eggs in the pan for the risers here

Those eggs sound good even tho it's 2:30am where I'm at and Bruce and I just finished our evening meal. He gets off work at midnight so we have dinner when he gets home. Tonight we had chef salad. I'll be going to bed around the time that the east coast folks are getting up. I've always thought it was funny that at this time of night the only ones here are the folks on the other side of the world and the insomniacs.

Deb

I think it would be great if the S.F. started a bit earlier - not sure Dean & Co. would though :mellow: they have to come up with a new and different kit for each Fling and I'm sure that takes a lot of thought and time. I'm a-thinkin' right about now, they are all saying "MUST we do this again next year??" :yes: I'm not sure it is as fun for them as it is for all of us. :angry: Also, I'm not sure what the whole process is, but there must be a good reason that they only accept 3 photos.

All in all, we've come a lonnng way from the first Fling's arbor kit, eh? :D Hope next year's kit isn't a village :D :woohoo: Also hoping that Iceland's volcanoes don't erupt with excitement again over next year's Fling either...that sure put a damper on deliveries for some in Europe.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now...back to figuring out this @&%* time machine thingy....what was I thinkin' when I decided to attempt this monster??!! ;)

i'm all flunged out :mellow: too many ;) am off for an early night...typically after partying here for more than a week day and night i'll probably miss the release i bet :woohoo:

*yawn and stretch* ... 7 am here ... thanks for the cleanup, Claudia. I hate waking up to a messy place. I think I'll go outside and work off this buzzy head in the garden. It finally looks like a clear day and not too hot. Don't know if it has dried out enough to plant the astilbes that have been waiting in their pots for more than a week now, but it should be good for weeding. See y'all during breaks!