Battery-powered lights?

Zardi

I just got done electrifying my first dollhouse with tape wire, and I must say it was a pain in the butt. Besides which, the brads don't look all that secure, which makes me worry that the connections won't last. It seems like a lot of effort for something that may not work for very long.

So I was thinking, is there such a thing as battery-operated dollhouse lights? I did a Google search, and the closest thing I found were these balloon lights which have individual switches and use watch batteries.

I figure it would be easy enough to cut the balloon off and make my own light fixture for the LED bulb. However, I wondered if any of you have created your own LED light fixtures before and might have some advice. Or, whether you know where I can get ready-made battery-powered dollhouse lights. I can't seem to find any.

I have a battery operated light set--they are ten tiny lights on wires that all feed to the battery pack that takes two double A batterys. I got them at Cherry Tree Toys. Here is the link:

http://www.cherrytreetoys.com/10-bulb_Battery_Set_P3672.cfm

The lights aren't super bright. I was going to try to use them to light my Tiffany that is already assembled, which is still the plan, but haven't gotten around to it yet! Miniatures.com might have the same item as well.

Tappy

I've used the set that Cherry Tree has, for small projects, like room boxes. They work very well. I'm not sure those balloon lights would be very practical, sounds like they always blink, even though one of the blinks is "almost steady". And watch batteries are expensive. :lol:

BTW, Tappy, thanks for the link to Cherry Tree! I forgot where I bought mine and was looking for some more :p

The lights on the Cherry Tree site can be purchased at Michaels or any craft shop that carries artificial flowers and/or wedding accessories. They're designed to be used in floral center pieces. No need to pay shipping charges if you have a craft store near you.

I used a set of 20 lights purchased at Michael's in my White Orchid. You can see how they were used (5 lights upstairs, 5 lights downstairs, battery pack hidden behind the stairs) in my miniatures blog (link below). Check the archives for entries on Mar 3 and Apr 10, 2009, for pictures.

And watch batteries are expensive.

They can be, but I wouldn't have to change the batteries very often. It definitely makes more sense to me than wasting money on another tape wire system that will be hard to fix when it fails.

I'm not sure those balloon lights would be very practical, sounds like they always blink...

You're right, the ones I linked to do always blink :lol: I found some others with a true steady-on though.

Check the archives for entries on Mar 3 and Apr 10, 2009, for pictures.

Those look really nice in your house :p They may be a good solution for my next project, so I can plan where to put holes for the wires.

but arent the lights only a inch or 2 apart???? I mean how would it work if you wanted just one light per room? you have all the extra lights inbetween. i dont know if i am explaining this right but I wondered about it since i got a few at the Big Lots

I have a battery operated light set--they are ten tiny lights on wires that all feed to the battery pack that takes two double A batterys. I got them at Cherry Tree Toys. Here is the link:

http://www.cherrytreetoys.com/10-bulb_Battery_Set_P3672.cfm

The lights aren't super bright. I was going to try to use them to light my Tiffany that is already assembled, which is still the plan, but haven't gotten around to it yet! Miniatures.com might have the same item as well.

Tappy

I have found 6 packs of watch batteries at the dollar store

I've used the set that Cherry Tree has, for small projects, like room boxes. They work very well. I'm not sure those balloon lights would be very practical, sounds like they always blink, even though one of the blinks is "almost steady". And watch batteries are expensive. :lol:

BTW, Tappy, thanks for the link to Cherry Tree! I forgot where I bought mine and was looking for some more :p