Have you had the moment in your life...

minifan

I did...tonight... :rofl:

I remember as a teenager, my mom was the worst...embarrassing, paranoid about everything, annoying...etc...

And tonight while posting here, I've realized I became her... :clap: (Which in hind-sight is not so bad, as I realized very early into my 20's that my embarrassing mom, who raised me single-handedly, and did absolutely everything for me, is actually my hero)...

Has anyone here had that moment...where they realized they'd become their mom/dad/any other person you SWORE in your younger years you would NEVER be like???

P.S....If you haven't, you will... :lol:

Oh yes, I have those moments all the time!! I always said I was never going to turn into my parents, but as luck would have it I have become the picture of my mother!! LOL Now my kids are saying the very same things I used to say as a teenager, too funny!!!

All the time. My kids are still young but I am the spitting image of my mother who I never wanted to be like. I always told myself I would be less paranoid with my kids and let them be themselves. But, well, my kids being themselves would get them killed if I allowed them to do what they wanted. In example, play in the road, climb to the top of their swingset and dangle off the top from their ankles.

I have also got the curse of having the child that was exactly like me. My mother says the my youngest daughter is exactly like I was when I was her age (she is 3) And Oh my goodness. All I can say about my daughter is that I miss the terrible twos. She is almost impossible to handle and the most stubborn child I have ever met. Which I guess says a lot about me (LOL)

Hubby and I don't have any kids yet, but apparently I'm already a lot like my mother, Kathy. Sometimes, we'll be talking and I'll make a face and DH will say, "Well, Kathy!!"

I have many of the same interests, the same facial expressions, and the same cadence in my voice as my mother...which is REALLY weird, considering I tried so hard as a child to be as different from my parents as possible. :lol:

MY mom passed away when i was 18 and i am now 49....so there is not a lot i remember about her that would make me think i am like her, though people have told me i have some traits which is nice...but now my dad! I see it and try not to be a curmudgeon LOL....and i think i see my dad in my brothers ALOT!!!!! as do their wives!!! LOLOL

No. I've tried very hard not to be like my parents, for personal reasons. They were loving parents in their own way, and tried their best, don't think they were monsters at all. Just not what I wanted to be, I didn't want my kids growing up to be like me!

However, one of my sons did something the other day that tickled me. I know you all have made the mistake of calling sibling 1 by sibling 2's name, when you weren't thinking. That always infuriated DS2, and the other day, he called his daughter by his son's name! Think I have let him forget that? And he is as overprotective about their health and safety as I always was. He'd get so mad at me when I'd tell him to be careful, when he was playing, driving, etc, and now he's at least as bad about it as I was, maybe worse!

Wistful sigh, Oh yes.....

I became my mom early on, and since she was such a great role model I am in many ways glad to be so like her. I have cousins who call me her on the phone or when they see me in person, and she has been gone over 10 years.

On the other hand, I have tired all my life to not be like my father or his parents, for very personal and hurtful reasons. I think I have succeeded in that, from a conversation I had with my son just recently. While my father died when I was 10, the negative influences he left with me, still hurt.

What was a shock to me was the day I heard my sister become our mother....she had children before I did, and I would often just find myself with my mouth hanging open when she said certain things.

Haven't really noticed it in terms of things I do (except for the family trait of struggling to finish things means I'm surround by half done projects) BUT I do sometimes look in the mirror and see my mum looking back at me and I wonder when did I start looking like her? (I take after my dad).

When my DIL1 saw a picture of my grandfather, depression era overcoat and fedora on, she asked me when her husband got that 'funky' photo made. He's a dead ringer for Grandad, and I never realized how much so until I saw that photo the first time. He doesn't have any features from DH's side of the family, other than the hard head.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, yeah. Check this out

(hope it works. If not, Goggle Mom sayings william tell overture - it's on You Tube. Fabulous!)

I don't remember saying this, but my kids say I said it alot when they were teenagers:

"You have to pick up your room before you go out."

"No I don't - you said it was my room and it is my personal space."

"That's true, but since Dad and I own the house, PICK IT UP!"

(I truly believed in personal space, but when, GEEZ, it was a such a health hazard that Child Protective Services could find a justification for CONDEMNING their "personal space", it was time to pick it up!) As I said, I don't remember this which means I probably only said it ONCE, but it is burned into their history!

Kirsten