Beginner

Seuss

Hello;

I am brand new at this. I would like to talk to others who have been at this for a while. I know that these kits come with instructions, but does a person have to do any measuring, when putting the dollhouses together? Maybe I can get some feedback or advice regarding this kind of hobby. I am excited about it, but do not want to start doing this unless I am serious about this. I hope to make some new friends here too.

Welcome! This is a great place for feedback and advice, especially as we're all still learning - it's great to be able to learn together.

As for measuring, my understanding is that most - if not all - kits require no measuring to actually be put together, but when you're planning on putting in things such as floors, wallpapers, etc., it's a good idea to have measurements of your own to make sure they're going to fit the way you want them to!

I am excited about it, but do not want to start doing this unless I am serious about this. I hope to make some new friends here too.

WELCOME to the Greenleaf mini-family, Susan – so glad you joined us! You are looking for friends in all the right places! :( You'll find gurus and novices here and we love to share news and ideas on all things miniature! :o

Hello Susan, welcome to the group. Have a browse round in the gallery when you have a spare 15 mins or so (well maybe a spare 4 hours) to see if there is a house that makes you fall in love with it, then take it from there. Most of us were beginners when we joined this group - in fact I'm still working on my first house but I have had so much support and guidance from friends on here that I have managed to build it even as a novice. I'm sure you will be the same if you decide to take the plunge. This hobby can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it and you will soon find you are able to make lots of stuff to go in your house yourself. Its a hobby that starts with building a doll house and branches out into so much more. So come on in the waters lovely.

Hi Susan, :o to the forum!

Please feel free to ask questions! Something that may seem like a silly question to you may provide just exactly the answer that someone else is looking for. Our mantra here is: there is no such thing as a silly question!

Hi -- Welcome to a great place filled with friendly people! I'm a former Kansan transplanted to AZ quite a few years ago. I can only speak from my experience in building two houses -- so far, because I'm hooked. My first was a DuraCraft Newberg and I love it and had fun building it, but I did have to a lot of measuring right at first. That was about 15 years ago and maybe the kits changed before the company went out of business. I'm building the Greenleaf Westville now, started in Jan., and haven't had to do any measuring and I'm almost ready to begin shingling. The Westville reminds me of so many homes in KS, and I just had to have one. I have two Greenleaf Village kits waiting and I'm looking forward to starting on those. One will be a gift and the other for me.

I have a talent for doing things wrong, backwards and the hard way first, but even for me, the Westville construction has gone very smooth and uncomplicated -- thanks to the many pictures and helpful info on this site. If you explore the links, you will find lots of tips and suggestions that will be a big help and boost your confidence. Then your decision will be which one and there's even tips about first houses to consider! It's a great hobby, just keep in mind most dollhouses are not weekend projects, except maybe for the smaller models, but the end result is gratifying beyond words and you will enjoy the "You BUILT it???" comments. Be sure to tell us when you decide. Glenda

Welcome to the little family, Susan. The only kits I've built that I had to measure anything were from Dura-Craft, and they are no longer in business. With tab & slot kits all you have to do is to check over the schematics sheet to familiarize yourself with what the parts look like, and to make sure you have everything, and so you'll know what goes where when you sit down and read over the instructions a time or two before starting. As for being new, I still get the newbie jitters each and every time I start a build.