Getting my throat cut

Deb

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we'll be playing with doctors together, Sis. My semi-annual pacemaker checkup is also Weds. I will most definitely be thinking of you and praying for a good outcome so you can finally get relief!

Thanks guys. I'm a little nervous for some reason which is strange coz I know how to breathe. Inhale, exhale, repeat. Been doing it all my life but when someone says "test" it changes everything, especially since I've already done part of this test and failed badly. I think I'm mainly afraid that they'll find something wrong with my heart or lungs but I'm thinking positive thoughts that it will be results that put me on the road to a real diagnosis and some actual help. <taking a deep breath> Yep, nothing to worry about. <biting my lip> At least I don't think so.

Deb

All fingers & toes crossed here for you, lots of prayers, and a candle. Be sure to have Bruce handy to hear what the doctor says so y'all can compare notes afterwards to make sure you heard & took it all in; I also tend to spazz out when there's tests involved (a familial thing?), so it helps when DH is there and we can compare notes to be sure I didn't miss anything important.

Hope you finally receive accurate results in identifying your problems and a good positive plan of attack to resolve. Lots of positive vibes and best wishes coming your way.

Am very glad to hear that you are now on a right track to solving a large problem that has gone on much to long!! I am wishing you a speedy resolution and recovery!! :D

I'm home. I probably won't get the test results for a week. I've had medical tests that were more uncomfortable but I'm not in a hurry to ever do these again. LOL The sealed glass booth was okay, but having my nose pinched shut and a mouthpiece stuck in my mouth........and then having the valve clicked shut in the middle of inhaling was a little unnerving. I have a headache and my muscles are complaining because of the drop in oxygen but other than that all is well.

There was one thing I found interesting. I was telling the tech about having so many nodules in my thyroid and how it impacts my breathing and circulation and she asked me how long it has been going on. I explained about the past two and a half years and she nodded and said, "You're getting jerked around by the insurance company because they don't want to pay for surgery. We see that all the time. Hopefully these tests will get the approval you need". I've ranted about the insurance company before but it's interesting to hear it from someone in her position. <growling> Between incompetent doctors and unethical insurance companies, getting treated for more than a cold is impossible these days. Anyway, the tech was great about repeating a test if she got a bad result so no one could say it was an error. I recognize the "flat bottom" readout on one of the loop tests from an illustration in an article I read about substernum nodules so maybe this will be enough to do the trick. It's up to the doctor who reads the test to make the diagnosis now.

Deb

Well I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Deb! It makes no sense that this has gone on for this long. I hope the results is what it takes to get you what you need done finally. I wish my fast forward button worked on days so we could fast forward to next week and know the results now! Hope you are resting up well!

If you feel a little shaky, Deb - it's just all the good vibrations I'm sending your way! (I'm not stinting with the healing energies either.) Hurry up, next week!

When I first heard about HMOs (how mini years ago?!) I thought, this sounds too good to be true. Greed is what dissolves society's glue, and corporate greed will kill us all if we're not vigilant!

Deb, you take care and rest up.

Unfortunately it's not just the insurance companies. I personally know of two seniors who were scheduled for surgery and had it canceled because of all the doctors that got dropped as Medicare providers last month. Now these people will have to hunt for new doctors who can take medicare, and go through the entire process again. According to what one of these patients was told, 60,000 doctors who were taking medicare were dropped. This means some seniors in more rural areas are going to have to drive to larger cities to find a doctor, and that's an added burden on people who are already on a tight, fixed income.

Availability of basic medical care is really giving us fits looking for a possible location to a less expensive area to move to. As we who are elderly are finding out, staying healthy gets to be a real challenge!

So after waiting for a week and two days, I called the endo department at the University today to see if they had the results of my pulmonary tests yet. There was a bit of silence after the girl pulled up my file and then she said, "I'm so glad that you called to check on this. The doctor who diagnoses the test results finished them last week but he forgot to assign them back to your doctor. I'll do that for you right now". <sighing> Apparently the diagnostic doctor left out that one important step of clicking on a drop down menu to send them back to my doctor. <banging head on keyboard> I swear I have the worse medical karma ever. If there's an incompetent in the medical profession, they'll be assigned to my case. Oh well. At least it's gone to the right place now and hopefully I'll hear from my doctor on Tuesday to know if I'm going to be seeing a cardiologist, a pulmonologist, or a surgeon.

Deb

(((Deb)))

It's Colorado. I have found some of the worst doctors in my life since moving here. There are good doctors too, but it's almost like you have to wait for someone to keel over before you can get an appointment.

Aw, Deb, is there a big "Hit Me" sign on you, do you think? At least the file is now where it's supposed to be.

Cat, I have to agree - since I moved to a tiny town here in WA, away from Seattle (excellent medical care there), it's taken me 2-1/2 years to finally get a local (that is, closer than Ellensburg, 30 miles away), to accept me as a patient. It just happened yesterday and I swear I went home and cried. No idea how good/bad he is, but at least now I don't have to spend an entire day traveling to see a doctor for 10 minutes. Well, I can say that I know several of this guy's patients, and they are mostly up and walking around, so I have hope.

Health care in rural areas is truly a disgrace, facilities few and far between, doctors few and far between and grossly overloaded....

Deb, prayers that you get decent results on Tuesday.

Deb, I sure hope the doctor call you on Tuesday. It really makes no sense how careless Drs. can be when it's not their life on the line. Is it time for your forum family to get in the Greenleaf Bus and come there with our mini tools? You know we can make ourselves look very threatening when we have too. ;)

Sending (((Hugs))) your way!!

I'll bring my Stylus and a whole set of mini drillbits! I have been wondering about your results all week+, Sis. I do know about the level of medical care in rural areas, we live nearly an hour's drive from the walk-in clinic we've been using for the 20+ years we've lived where we do. We have a little rural hospital 20 minutes away that was closed down several years ago and can't reopen because we can't get doctors to staff it.

Oh Deb, thank goodness you made that call! I've been hoping you would hear something soon. No wonder it seemed to take forever. I don't see why someone like you should encounter so many medical morons - it isn't fair! Hopefully that was the last of them, and you will be treated promptly, and successfully. You've certainly paid your dues in advance. ;) As always, I will be lighting candles, and working those healing energies and positive thoughts. I think it's time to break out the incense, too. :p

I finally learnt how to use my Dremel-like "Wizard" tool (on the SF) and will gladly wield it in the face (arms, legs, etc.) of any who block your path to good health!