Getting my throat cut

Deb

I'm just back from my follow up appointment with the surgeon and he said I'm healing up very well and doing great. He thought it would be a few more weeks before all the swelling is gone but I'm still feeling a lot less crowded in there than I was before the surgery. I'll be on soft foods for a little while longer but that's okay. I like pasta.

The most excellent news is from the pathology report. There as a small lesion less than 1 cm of papillary thyroid cancerous tissue in the left node but since it was too small to be conclusive and the lymph node they removed was benign, they've pronounced me cancer free and I don't have to have radiation! Woooooooooohooooooo!!! I feel like I really dodged a bullet because surprisingly, the lesion was in the actual thyroid tissue and not one of the nodules that were full of microcalcifications. They could have biopsied till the end of time and not found it. So this is all wonderful news.

The actual size of my thyroid was 14 x 6.5 x 4.5 cm which is around 4 times the size of a normal thyroid. No wonder I felt like there was a family of elephants living in there!! The surgeon was laughing at me because I was so excited about being able to put my arms up over my head and not strangle myself and being able to breathe when I look down. Hey, it's those little things that mean a lot. LOL! I also have no signs of hypocalcemia which means that the parathyroids weren't damaged in the surgery.

So he's released me into the care of the endocrinologist who will do the thyroid replacement meds and such. They're already working because I can see a sparkle in my eye and my skin tone isn't as murky as it was just a week ago. I'm starting to recognize the woman in the mirror again. Oh, and I have my voice back almost completely with no changes.

Somebody break out the bottles of Green Apple Pucker coz we definitely need to celebrate. After my nap. <cackle>

Deb

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so pleased to hear your news Deb - wow that was some thyroid they removed, I bet you feel like telling a few people "See - I told you there was something wrong" Take it easy, get your strength back and then hit us with the next load of new minis.

YeeHAWWWW, Deb, that's absolutely wonderful news, all of it!! Good Lord, girl, with a thyroid in there that big, it's no wonder you were strangling yourself at the least little neck or arm movement. So glad for you that this has made such a difference already, and I do know what you mean about beginning to recognize that person in the mirror again - doesn't that make your day, too? :D

Rest, get better, keep getting that sparkle back again, and if you listen carefully, I don't doubt you'll be hearing party noises - for YOU! - coming from your friends all over the world!

What fantastic news Deb! :D Dang, that was a whopper of a thyroid! - like Playscale-sized! :) :jumping: Good riddance to that monster.

Glad you are feeling better. Take it easy and enjoy the extra room you have now that Roidzilla has left the building. :ohyeah:

Hugs!

WooHooooo,isn't breathing wonderful??!! So glad you're doing so well and obviously feeling better.And your sense of humor goes a long way to inspire us all!!

Bless you,Deb in your continued healing!! :lol: