Getting my throat cut

Deb

Deb, my boss has had those corti shots for the spine and they have helped him a great deal. Unfortunately, since he feels better afterwards he over does it on home repairs and the like. The shots wear off after a time, I can always tell when it's time for another round of shots because he gets all mean and cranky from the pain.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pain makes people mean and cranky???? All this time I thought it was just my personality morphing into "wicked old crone". LOL! Actually I tend to get more quiet when the pain is worse, kind of like a cat.

They called today and confirmed all the things I need to know about the procedure. I'm trying not to think about it too much. I have such a silly mind that I think about things like, "They're going to have me in a backless gown, laying on my stomach for two hours. Oh god, what if I fart?"

Deb

...I think about things like, "They're going to have me in a backless gown, laying on my stomach for two hours. Oh god, what if I fart?"

Deb

Only YOU! :p I promise you wouldn't be the first.

It's official! I'm getting my thyroid out on the 23rd! Wooooooooooooohoooooooooooooo!!! I saw the surgeon this morning and he said that it's gotta go. I sure didn't argue with him! In fact when he asked when I wanted it done, I told him tomorrow is good for me. LOL! We settled on his first available date and got all the paperwork signed. Yay! I'm finally gonna get my throat cut! After all these years of messing around and being bounced from one doctor to another, I finally found one who said, "Why is that thing still in there?" and promised to make it go away.

Methinks that part of that willingness is that the endo department at University is in the middle of a huge thyroid cancer study. I'd heard about it awhile back and it sounds like it's a pretty big deal. They asked me today if I would be willing to donate my thyroid to that study and of course I said yes. My thyroid is almost perfect for what they need with so many nodules in various stages of development. So after the pathology department is done with it (and the surgeon said that they'll be going over every single nodule to find any cancer instead of just the same one that was biopsied over and over), it will be taken to the research department. Even if I don't have cancer, it will be helpful for them to study the nodules that I have which are right on the verge of turning malignant. They took 8 vials of blood today as well as a couple of other samples and will get more the day of the surgery so they have enough to work with. It doesn't hurt that I've had two different types of thyroid disease since I was 8 years old and that it's an inherited condition. In a way, this makes me feel a lot better about all the years that have been wasted to me just trying to find a doctor who would do something about my thyroid. Maybe it was a matter of it needing to be the right time and the right place for it to make a difference to others.

The surgeon went over everything with me and it sounds as if they are really on top of things. They use a new method of removing the part of the thyroid that's wrapped around the vocal cord nerves that's less risky as well as a way of reattaching the parathyroids if needed. They'll also be starting me on thyroid replacement right away instead of waiting six weeks for me to go totally euthyroid. That's going to make recovery a lot easier.

<happy dancing> This is so wonderful! Oh, and I saw the pulmonologist on Tuesday. The chest xrays were clean again and he didn't see any sign of emphysema. He's not ruling it out but he said that what did show on the xray is simply diminished lung capacity. He said that could be due to muscle weakness caused by a long history of thyroid disease and the current fibromyalgia. He's going to do a VQ scan soon as well as a CT scan. The CT scan will help the thyroid surgeon as well since it's going to be the first look under my sternum to how far my thyroid has grown under my collarbone or into my chest. If it has, they need to know that before the surgery and it will also help the pulmonologist to figure out if there is simply reduced space in my chest cavity because of an enlarged thyroid. I really don't think they're going to find emphysema or The Blob in there but it's good that they're going to look. Since the pulmonologist is also at University, they'll share information back and forth to make it a lot more efficient and easier on me. The main thing is that the pulmo cleared me as safe to have surgery. I'll deal with the rest of the breathing stuff later.

So there we are! It's time to party my friends coz I'm finally getting my throat cut! I can't wait to get that horrid, toxic mess out of my throat and see what it feels like to not have hormones in my body that have been "corrupted" by all that junk in there. I know there's no medical reasoning but I've always thought that it can't possibly be good to have hormones in my body that were produced in a gland that has three times it's own size in pockets of fibroids and cystic mass.

<twirling around in my chair> They kept telling me that this isn't the answer to all my problems and I know that. But I also know deep in my heart that I'm going to feel a LOT better as soon as they get that thing out of me.

Deb

Fan-dam-tastic, Deb! Grabbed Lloyd and danced him around in circles -- poor guy didn't know what hit him! But when I told him, he did a little sailor hornpipe on his own. :D :yes: :D

WOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Fantabulistic news Deb, I am twirlign along with you and hubby is joining in with joy as well when I told him why they outburst of fist in air, a wohoooo and tears!!! :D

HUGS

WooooHoooooo!!!! Great news should be shouted from the rooftops! Keep us informed

and we will be waiting with baited breath for the 23rd to send many good wishes for a speedy recovery! :yes: :D :yay: :D

Who's bringing the tattoo needles? I've got the inks... Hugs, Deb!

Well you know me Holly, I have needles :D and I am not afraid to use 'em either... :yes:

Hugs

Oh, the tattoos and the frog duct tape are still very much needed just on general principles! "General principles" means "too much fun not to do it". hehehehehehehe

I had my pre-op screening this week and it seems to have gone well. At any rate the doctor gave me a list of things to do and not do before the surgery to prepare for it so I'll take that to mean that I passed the test. I'm sooooo glad that they'll let me drink fluids up to 2 hours before the surgery. I don't mind not eating.......I can not eat all day and still be fine, but dehydration gets real ugly real fast so finding out that I won't be gasping for water made me happy. It'll also make it a lot easier for them to get the IV in my vein if I'm hydrated and that's also a plus. More and more, I'm liking the way they do things at University.

I really can't find the words to express how happy I am about this. I slept on my right side for about an hour this morning and woke up with that old horrid pain in my collarbone/chest and was able to think "But not for long!". It's little thoughts like that one that are getting my spirits back up again. I'm starting to feel better already!

Deb