Needs a Big Push

dainagon

I have wallpaper, flooring, and ceiling paper for every room. All my colors are picked out. My baseboards and crown mouldings and doors and windowframes are painted. I have all the furnishing and even all the lighting. What is stopping me from finishing My Mother's Farmhouse? I just can't seem to start the wiring. So I can start the wallpaper and the mouldings and the....

UGH. Do any of you just get overwhelmed?

-Sarah :)

You're not alone Sarah, I get that feeling quite often. Its a case of - where to start. I find that making a list of the things I have to do in priority order helps, I can tick bits off one by one and each task completed motivates me to begin the next. Breaking it down like that makes it manageable.

Good luck,

the idea about a list is a good one. I tend to get board with one project and then start a new one. Hence i have many unfinished projects lying around.

im working on my spring fling right now and trying to stay on track with the build.

Have you done a lighting plan that might help?

Jenn

Hi Sarah,

I could have written your post! I have felt the exact way for some time now. I have to push myself to work on my house, but I don't know why.

I love my house. It's really the only house I have so I think I am trying so hard for it to be exactly the way I want it - at least for the most part.

I have found that I have changed my mind so many times, and when I have changed my mind, I'm glad that I did.

At least my house is progressing. :)

You are not alone, about a month ago I was right where you are now!! I had everything I needed to get started but just couldn't bring myself to get started on the wiring, I was over thinking it and stressing myself out. Finally one day I just said this is it I'm doing it and once I got started there was no turning back!! I think you just need to do what I did and stop thinking and just do, it worked for me and now I can't get things done fast enough. I find myself wanting to finish what I'm working on so I can get on with the next part, I have to slow myself down so I'm not rushing through things to quickly!! Good luck, and just remember to have fun hobbies are supposed to releave stress not cause it!!

Many of us get stymied at the wiring part. I know i did, but when i got started and lit up my first lamp inside the dollhouse i was like a kid at Christmas! :) Hopefully you will get to that point soon

Dot

I can definitely relate to your predicament! I think I am afraid I'll ruin something, so it just sits in a pile, box, drawer, etc., just waiting for me to get the nerve to get started! Be brave, go for it! ... And I will attempt to do the same!

Tappy

Ok you folks make me feel better! I am just to the painting the exterior but it always feels a little daunting when you try to get it all together in your head. Do you ever lay in bed at night trying to decorate in your mind? I start with one room ( usually the kitchen ) and move from one to the next.

Then I come to the work area and feel overwhelmed all over again. As a very good friend of mine always says "inch by inch everythings a cinch" and I try to think that way when I am frustrated and don't know where to start. Hope it helps.

Im discouraged by having to move my precious dollhouse off the kitchen table.. Now I have to attempt to spin it everytime I need to do something to it... Feels like its been shuffled into a corner

:) This is the only way to save the carpet in the lounge thoe, seeings the kids just don't know how to put a fork of food into their mouths without dropping it all over the carpet.. HOW RUDE OF THEM!!! Lazy susan is looking like my next investment I think, then I could spin it comfortably at least ~sighs~ P.S. I lost my little door hinges :woohoo: and glued my brass plated crystal door knobs on upside down... The keyhole is upside down for it looks stupid... Is intending on PRYING them off later with the utmost of care... Bad day in dollhouse land.. Bad day!

Awww kim...hope tomorrow goes better! I would LOVE to have a turn table for my dollhouse! Now its done you can't see the front side of it against the wall. All that decorating the outside to sit hiding against a wall.

I am so glad I am not alone! I took some advice and made myself a list, maybe that will help. I did a quick ketch on the walls of where I will want lighting, so maybe I will get to that tomorrow. My boyfriend will be hanging around so I may as well make use of him and "encourage" him to help me, right?

Thanks for the support! And Kim, if you look at the doorknobs in my little house album, they are upside down too! :-)

-Sarah