5/13/10 Inspirations From Books

Today, I was reading a book and for the Hundredth time, I started to imagine a dollhouse scene based off of the description of a room in a house. It made me wonder, are any of you ever inspired to create something based off of a book you've read, or a Movie you've seen? If so, have you ever created it? Do you have pictures pencilsmile.gif

I watched the movie, "Gaslight," the other night on Turner Classic Movies. The townhouse was very, very Victorian.

I'm buying the movie because I not only like it, but just to see the house.

I would love to build or have a dollhouse like the one in the movie, but so much of the appeal was that of the wood carving on the stairs, doors, everywhere!

If it was wood, it was beautifully carved.

It is my inspiration, but I think I would have to hire professionals to achieve the look! :)

(Great post!)

• Like 1

Yes, I have been inspired by books and movies, but have not actually made anything from them yet. Sometimes, if I am watching a movie or reading a book and a scene strikes me as perfect for minis, my brain will go off on a tangent planning it and I will have to rewind the movie or try to find the part in the book where I was actually last reading it!

I just saw the movie "Cheri" with Michelle Pfeiffer and Kathy Bates. The interiors/scenes/costumes are absolutely fabulous--one house is over-the-top Victorian, the other subdued and streamlined Art Nouveau. I want to do the 1/2 scale Rosedale interior Art Nouveau now!

I would like to do the one inch Rosedale in the theme of the Amanda Quick (aka Jayne Krentz) novels featuring the Arcane Society characters--they are set in late Victorian era in London mostly. I have even dreamed up my own characters 'with psychical abilities' to live there!

I also think the McKinley would lend itself perfectly to a "roombox" display for scenes from the 1970's movie "Foul Play" with Goldie Hawn & Chevy Chase...I've got lots of ideas on this one, but will spare you the details!!

Tappy

No pictures per se, my inspirations come from books, magazines, movies, TV... I see something that makes me want to use it in a house and then work on it. A lot of the Fairfields' decor is reminiscent of pictures from Tasteful Interlude, a book of period photos of Victorian interiors.

Beverly, I fell in LOVE with your plans and everything for YOUR Elrond's Library!!

Holly, That sounds Great too! Where are the pictures of your Fairfield?? I must be getting more and more blind cause I couldn't find the pictures :blink::p

Wow Tappy! You gotta get started on those ideas!!

Mary, like you, there is never a movie or book that I read, that does not inspire me to do something in mini though I must say mostly all of those ideas are still stuck in my head! :)

...Holly, That sounds Great too! Where are the pictures of your Fairfield?? I must be getting more and more blind cause I couldn't find the pictures :):blink: ...
I really need to stop working on the houses long enough to take more pictures and load them in my "Bash of Two Fairfields" album. I got the idea for the Foucault's Pendulum from the (HUGE!) one at the American History Museum in DC.

I am totally in love with Beverly''s version of Elrond's Library, and I've seen the stairwell at Hogwart's that is da bomb.

You are truly my long-lost daughter, I also incorporate ideas from books I've read into my minis. I have an Adams kit that wants to be another FL Cracker house, only this one will be more along the lines of the family's in The Yearling.

I thumb through the magazines at the grocery store checkout to see if anything catches my eye. I really want to go outside my comfort zone and do a Victorian style home, but I am clueless. I found this book online that I want to order soon:

71ME08Z1Z0L._SL160_AA160_.gif

Jane Austen Books really inspire me.

I also love lord of the rings, the hobbit ( iv'e been working on my home for a while now and it's sitting collecting dust) must start up again!!

Harry Potter Series

The cornicles of Narnia

It's funny that you asked this right now because the Tennyson that I have on the work table in dry fit is all based on the book "The Awakening" by Kate Chopin. It's one of my favorite books because it's so representative of the turmoil every woman feels at one time or another. The Tennyson is going to be my sea side resort house but it will have elements of Edna's artist's house in town combined with it. The color palette both inside and out is light and airy. The furniture is all white wire wicker and the color in the house is going to come from the accessories and the furniture upholstery and bed dressings.........sort of monochromatic light colors with splashes of bright color here and there. It's an instinctual representation of Edna's awakening, but it's also going to be a peaceful and serene dollhouse that gives me a mini get-away when I need it. I need to get one small house done first and then I'm going to get moving on the Tennyson. It's been wonderfully patient about waiting in dry fit for me.

Deb

Ive been inspired by the books of Agatha Christie (Im a big fan) so my rectory is going to be an Agatha Christie country style house. I'm planning to have little crime clues throughout the house and already have the dolls which will form the characters in the story. I have her most famous detective Hercule Poirot and have two action figures who will become Captain Hastings and Inspector Japp. I have figures who may well become a mousey secretary, a doctor, a maid and a glamorous lady with a secret. Still working on it all though.

• 1 month later...

I'm often inspired by pictures, especially our old family pictures. The only one I've acted upon is of my grandfather's Aunt Clara (his mother's younger sister). She's seated at a desk in the family home, talking on the telephone. At the time she was single, and sometime before she was married, she wrote a poem to her fiance entitled: The Telephone; which had to do with their wonderful conversations. Something about the picture, taken in 1906, just captivated me and I had to bring it to life in a roombox.

Here's the original --

post-4286-1277099081_thumb.jpg

Here's the only picture of the roombox I can find at the moment, with (traveling doll) Emma "visiting" her -- I had repositioned her slightly for Emma; she was posed with the phone to her ear as in the picture before that.

post-4286-1277099110_thumb.jpg

The letter on the floor is one I wrote, using 2-point print on the computer, from one sister to the other.

There are a few more family pictures I'd like to use also.

I'm only on my first house, but I see inspiration everywhere! Here, in Gainesville, we have a section of town where the houses look like giant dollhouses to me. I should totally take pictures~ DH is desperately trying to convince me to do a roombox of "Stargate" :giggle: I guess I will attempt that at some point. ;)

I also love to read...My SF'09 Vicarage was based on the same in" The White Witch",

my fave book.I also did this year's Fling as a tribute to the Harry Potter series.And I've

fallen for the "Twilight" books and would like to do a build from one of those. :giggle:

• 1 year later...