Any Kindle people on here?

CatColorado

I was just curious if anyone else here had a Kindle. I know alot of people who have Nooks and a couple with Ipads, but no other Kindle users. I just love mine and take it with me everywhere.

Santa brought my 13 year old son one for Christmas. He loves it, as do all his friends and teachers. I've played with it some, and was really impressed, maybe one day mom can get toys too (besides dollhouses!). He uses it in school all the time, has the Bible on there for Bible class, and downloads books assigned in English as the teacher is giving the assignment. I think they are just great. Best thing is, he didn't even know they existed before Christmas, so we actually surprised him for once!

Mine was a birthday present for me, from me, this year. I agonized over all the e-reader options but Kindle just seemed like the best fit. I love that I can carry an entire library with me and it takes up less room than a sketch pad.

I am reading more than ever now that I have a Kindle and I, too, carry it everywhere.

I have friends who swear there is nothing like holding a book in hand and seeing it on the shelf. Been there, done that. I even published a couple of dozen books back in the day. But unless I'm buying a book for its photos, I'll take the Kindle any day.

The other day I had it with me when we went to the mall, took it into Barnes & Noble and compared it with the Nook. I really like the feel of the Kindle better, but maybe that's because I'm used to it.

When we were looking for Lawson an e-reader, we looked at a couple of different ones too. I'm not sure the Nook was out yet when I started looking, or at least I hadn't heard of it. I liked some of the Kindle features better than Sony's. But, for his age group especially, the Kindle had a MUCH better selection of books, hands-down, and that's really what sold us.

I checked into getting one about a year ago, but couldn't afford it at the time. Getting a Kindle is definitely high on my want list, though! Imagine reading in bed, which I do all the time, without having to deal with finding a comfortable way to hold a really large and heavy hardbound book or fighting to keep a really fat paperback open - BLISS!

I have seen them, but not real familiar. Do they come preloaded with some books with the option to buy more? Can you get the net on them? Do pictures come up if you wanted to get a dollhouse how to type book?

Hi Audra! They do not come preloaded with books, you purchase them. Kindle is an Amazon product, so you buy the books there. Although we have found some Kindle formatted books other places, and they also read .pdf files. And yes, it does actually have limited internet, using 3G cell service. So when you're in range of a cell tower you can get it, and it doesn't cost anything. So you can purchase books on the fly, it takes literally seconds. And you also can get to some sites like Wikipedia and CNN. It does also show pictures, and you can make notes and look up words in the dictionary as you're reading.

Technology is great and I'm thankful for it (wouldn't have this forum family w/o it)

BUT

I vote real life BOOKS any day. Just an old fashioned obsessively tactile person here.

Gotta touch, smell, hear, etc. in order for it to bring the satisfaction and to get into the brain. Now crinkly sounds of pages, library glue, nubby leather designs and onwards to new wood and sawdust and cut grass - all that's to die for it my book (no pun intended !!)

Technology is great and I'm thankful for it (wouldn't have this forum family w/o it)

BUT

I vote real life BOOKS any day. Just an old fashioned obsessively tactile person here.

Gotta touch, smell, hear, etc. in order for it to bring the satisfaction and to get into the brain. Now crinkly sounds of pages, library glue, nubby leather designs and onwards to new wood and sawdust and cut grass - all that's to die for it my book (no pun intended !!)

I totally understand! I was a little unsure about it myself at first, but my reasoning for wanting a Kindle was that I live in a small town in the middle of no where and we have no book store so buying books was pretty much impossible. With the Kindle I am able to purchase books whenever I want to and they are ready to read in a matter of seconds, no more waiting until the next trip to the city, which could be months from now, to buy a book or two that would last me about a week and then I would be waiting again until the next trip to the city. I personally could not live without my Kindle! :)

Having had to pay movers big $$$ to ship my books cross country, I'll never do it again. I'll pick out a few favorites and leave the rest with family or donate them to the library. I love books, but when you don't have a permanent place to live, they become very impractical. I also read more now on my Kindle than I have in years. I had no more room for new books and I had read everything that interested me at the library.

So having an e-reader does not mean you don't like books, just the opposite. It just means there is a higher value placed upon the content of the book.

I've been tempted but think I want the ipad :) I wanted the kindle so bad a few months back but now that I have touched & felt the iPad I have been leaning towards that especially now that they have a Kindle App for it! :blink: I read so many books all of the time and think it would be a cool thing to have.

So having an e-reader does not mean you don't like books, just the opposite. It just means there is a higher value placed upon the content of the book.
Cat, you are so right!! I don't like to get rid of my books and I like to re-read them and to be able to have them all in one thing is perfect for people who really value & cherish what they read. I keep thinking of all of the space I will save cause I don't like to get rid of my books. :)