Enable me?

CatColorado

Oh. My. Gawd.

I just got hit with a $623 veterinarian bill this morning. :woohoo:

Do you think it's an omen?

I don't begrudge caring for the cat, she's totally worth it :popcorn: ... but holy moley that's alot of money. :D

Sooo, it's going to be a couple of months before I can allow myself to even consider buying anything for myself.

Oh woe is me :cheer:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, then it will just have to go on your birthday/holiday wish list. Hope the kitty's doing ok. :popcorn:

Yeah, since I have decided that particular dollhouse is "The One", it is no hardship to wait until later on in the year to buy it. That will give me time to research and develop a theme.

I saved the layout to my computer and a picture of the shell. That way I can shop for windows and doors, I don't know if I will go with the Bespaq ones or Houseworks or a combination of the two.

Kitty is doing much better than I expected. I was prepared for bad news, very bad news. However, most of her tests came back clear. So other than she is losing her marbles, has arthritis in her spine, got hit with a bb pellet over 12 years ago that I never knew about, needs antibiotics for her kidneys, ointment for some unknown ear ailment, and hand cooked food by yours truly... she's not doing that badly. :D

Drats. I was really beginning to get into the whole B&B thing but then I realized that the floor plans on the other two houses lent themselves much better to that theme with less bashing.

I like this one because of the garage and not much roof to shingle. And I can have a rooftop garden.

Kelly, that was superb enabling! I can just see it now :popcorn:

Think it would look okay in stucco?

You're welcome.

And not only stucco, but stucco over stone, with a lot of the stone showing. Do you ever watch House Hunters International? You can pick up some of the episodes on Hulu.com. They have a lot of those shows in the French and Italian countryside. I was planning on making (was being the operative word here) a Tuscan house and I wanted to put it on a base so that I could run a little, narrow stairway down alongside the wall and to the street below, and also I wanted to run a walkway around the other side and put those big trees along the walkway - I don't know what they're called - like the ones in Gladiator that line the road to the guy's house every time they do a shot of his wife and kid. French doors to the outside in every room, because it's warm there and so your house is just an extension of the outside and big arched stone openings between the rooms. And I better shut up before I get another house myself. :D

I'm sorry about your cat, Kathryn. Thank goodness she's going to be okay.

Thank you :D

She's back to being loud and bossy today. It's amazing, she acts like the frailest kitty in the world when we are at the vet's, but once we are home and it's time for her medicine... it's like wrestling a tiger. Wouldn't know she had arthritis, it's like she forgets all about it.

~

Does anyone know where I might find suitable inspiration pictures of similar houses? Everything I have seen has them painted in white or grey... I'd like to do something with a little more color.

• 3 weeks later...

Being on the road without internet until now, I'm late to the party. The first thing I thought of when I saw the pictures was "department store", the kind with the tearoom/ restaurant in that top part.

I think your enablers agree that you NEED this house. My idea would be to have some kind of a business - B&B, departments store, etc - and I would make the top section the owners' hideaway where they can get relief from the stress of the business. A lavish apartment, a garden on that wonderful flat roof, maybe a private pool :p

Find a new cookie jar and start saving your coins! :popcorn:

I do like the idea of a cafe on the roof! :p

The house is on my wishlist. I think it will be my reward for catching up on all my other projects. I have so many unfinished structures; I will feel better and have more space if I finish them up. Except for the Albatross... that one can lurk in the basement for a while longer. :popcorn:

The medicine actually worked this time, and the bacteria is gone from her kidneys. :p

Hopefully this will mean that she will eat more and put on a little weight.

I have a Great Dane with special needs that eats up most of my mini money, so I feel your pain! As far as the house, :popcorn: ! I never even knew these existed! Yes, the price is a bit steep, but from the link you sent, if I read it right, it's not much more than my EST was with a good sale. Now that I've seen the house, I think I know what my next one will be! I would say, save your pennies, Christmas gift for yourself, YES! You can spend the next few months planning. I don't have many ideas myself at this point, the other posters had some great ones (as usual). I do like the beachy theme though! Best of luck with your kitty, I'm glad to hear she's already doing better. It does seem that when someone is planning a 'big' purchase, there's always something else that comes up! :p

Here is a pic of a Morningside Mansion that is being built by a mini shop owner. She has done some bashing to it so it would look more like the 1/12 scale house. I took the pic the other day while visiting the shop. The house is adorable, she has not done any work inside yet.

I have the same house in 1:12 scale (it is currently under a bed). The 1:12 scale kit is cut by Majestic Mansions but can only be purchased from the mini shop.

http://shelliesminis.com/shop/index.php?ma...products_id=138

I have been considering purchasing the Morningside Mansion so I would have the house in both scales. But while I have been collecting 1/2 scale Bespaq I am becoming concerned about finding enough 1/2 scale items to fill any 1/2 scale house. So I will continue to contemplate - decisions, decisions!

Valerie

i'd probably make the outside dirty and old and inside rooms for rent.

and then go totally nuts on decorating with every piece of miniature i have.

i would probably make one room for an alcoholic with empty wine bottles everywhere, one for an old forgotten actress who still thinks she is top of the bill, one for a biker who has his harleys stored in the garage, one room for an old excentric man/woman or a catlady and so on.

a leaking roof and plumbing thats gone to the dogs.

whatever you are going to do with it, i am sure it will turn out great!

Nice house!

I think I may make a beach hotel out of mine when I get it. One of those informal hotels whose life started as someone's home, and gradually became a destination for an odd assortment of people. Cafe on the roof. Little umbrellas! Balconies in the front, some kind of fire escape thingy in the back. Lots of beach towels and bright colors, aged exterior and peeling paint.

There are lots of 1/2" miniatures available out there, but you have to know what you are looking for before you can find it. Some of the best things are handmade, I still have a gorgeous fern that someone made for me. Before I decided to rip my Fairfield apart, it was completely furnished and over 70% accessorised. Including dolls and pets.

I have a house kit that I'm saving for a "lower beach" hotel. It was also someone's home. It will be situated in Ocean City, MD at the boardwalk where high school and college kids crash for the week after graduation with lots of beer and bikinis. I want it to be in bad taste.

A person after my own heart! I grew up in Maryland and spent many a summer at Ocean City and Rehobeth beach. I loved those old beach houses, the ones set back behind the second set of dunes. I never stayed in one, but I loved to look at them. I spent some time in Cape May too, so I plan to draw my inspiration from both places.

Ahh, so we'll be drawing from some of the same inspiration. They used to make a mini newspaper with a few crabs on them, but I haven't seen it in a long time. It would be nice to get a little beach in there with sandcastles, horseshoe crabs and stale beer left over from the party the night before.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought it.

Just now.

Now why did I do this? I just forked over $400 to help my parents pay for new smoke detectors. I am not wealthy... why do I do this to myself?

This is the last house! Finis! No more!

Oh. And whatever you do... don't ask me about the Bespaq dish set I have been coveting for ages.

The shame!

I have no self control.

I'm off to hide some miniatures now.

Wohoooooo, well I can see looooooots of eye candy pics to come :D way to go, and aren't we all a great bunch of enablers huh???? :)

As for the Bespaq, won't ask too many questions as long as you share pics with us if you know what I mean?!? :p

HUGS and congrats to a great purchase, you will have lots of fun with it!!!!

I'm sure I will be thrilled once the guilt subsides. I think I will donate my little Buttercup to Toys for Tots this year. I'll just make up some furniture and a doll to go with it. Maybe I will donate the Glencroft too while I am at it, I have enough furniture to make it look nice.

Check into the local churches who work with trying to find work & residences for the homeless, Cat; a lot of homeless folks are families with children, and I'll bet the churches would be thrilled to have a lovely dollhouse to donate to a needy family just getting back on their feet.

Check into the local churches who work with trying to find work & residences for the homeless, Cat; a lot of homeless folks are families with children, and I'll bet the churches would be thrilled to have a lovely dollhouse to donate to a needy family just getting back on their feet.

The Catholic Outreach is quite active in this area, though they just got hit with some devastating news. Their funding from the state was cut, and scores of people who had been placed in new housing are going to lose them. I'm not sure dollhouses would go over too well right now. It's really heartbreaking. The way Toys for Tots works here is toys donated here, stay here. Maybe it is a state thing, but the toy drives are done regionally rather than nationally. Western Slope toys go to Western Slope children. But even if the Glencroft gets used in a raffle to raise funds, that's okay too because even more children will benefit. The Buttercup is small enough to be considered giftable.

*sigh* My heart feels so heavy all of a sudden.

I look at this and I see a full gallery on the bottom and going up to the second floor, where there is an art studio for the public (they have reasonable prices) and a small apartment up top for the owner.... I can picture it completely. Dangit! I wants for myself! Came to enable you and instead got the fever! :) Guess I should start bugging the hubby. :p

They have two other styles in 1/24th and a whole bunch in 1/12th. Since shingling is my least favorite thing, this house was an easy pick for favorite.

I just got the shipping notice, it went out today. Now I just wait until it makes it's way here from Georgia.

Just what I need, another house. I have soooo much stuff to do, I have no time for another house. Agh!

I'm excited though, overwhelmed but excited.