Egg Cartons for Stonework

I've always wanted to try the egg carton method of stonework, as the paperclay is both expensive and slow-going. I was wondering, though, where you all find your egg cartons. The cartons I see at my grocery store are usually pastel-colored styrofoam. Obviously, those won't do me any good. Besides, I probably don't use 1 carton of eggs a year. And, being single, I only buy soft drinks through drive-throughs in a quantity of 1, so I can't get the drink holders. If any of you know where these things can be obtained (cheaply, I hope), I would love to know. Thanks!

Sometimes I've found it at work as the packaging for computer equipment too. Or you could buy 2 drinks and save one for a later ;)

Thanks for the 2-drink idea. I might try that. I work for the USPS (in the plant) and don't have any access to any packaging of any kind.

I love egg carton roofing and stonework......but I did end up eating thousands of eggs:

scrambled,fried,egg salad,in baked goods.......Yuck! And now that I'm depleted-do you

think I could find a single carton at the grocery store?? NO! Just the foam cartons as you said. But I think the foam cartons might make an ok roof.Would have to be painted of coarse,and textured.I'm thinking the foam cartons might be a bit thin for stonework??

Haven't tried that yet. Anyone else out there with any experience??? Help! ;)

I got all of my egg cartons from my local freecycle. I belong to one on Yahoo Groups and one on freecycle.org. You can post want ads as well as respond to offers. ;)

Funny you should mention it. I am not a member of the Freecycle network, but I did go on Craigslist a few minutes ago and put a posting that I was looking for them. I am hoping I get some bites on it.

I also picked up some of the little seedling pots.... They are like paper mache, and they disenegrate in the dirt after planting... I liked the feel of them so I got a few packs at our local Harbor Freight.!!

Kellee

I also picked up some of the little seedling pots.... They are like paper mache, and they disenegrate in the dirt after planting... I liked the feel of them so I got a few packs at our local Harbor Freight.!!

Kellee

Kellee, I never even thought about those! They might be a good alternative. If you use yours that way, could you let us know how they work out?

If you know where some farmer sells eggs, call them. I said something about needing them at school last year, and one of the secretaries brought me a stack of them, she sells her chickens' eggs.

As for styrofoam cartons, they don't have the bumpy texture that you're looking for, or even the texture that is on the flat side and works for modern bricks.

We bought some light fixtures a few weeks ago and the lights were packed in the carton type stuff, so you might ask at a lighting store. There are probably other things that come packed that way, as well.

Just a note that might interest some...........you can buy just egg cartons from suppliers, sans the eggs (your heart might thank you for that!!).

Here is an example (10 cartons aren't too bad...........If you're wealthy and working on a REALLY BIG house, you could go for the 10,500 carton shipment ;)

http://www.randallburkey.com/Paper-Egg-Cartons/products/363/

Here when I buy a single drink they'll still give me a cup holder if I ask for one. (However here, very few cars have cup holders built in, and if they do, then they're mainly the sort that you can only use when stationary.)

Here the organic tomatoes come in the egg carton material trays - haven't looked at the other veggies yet.

I had to ask friends that live in near by towns. This area does not have them. Plus I have been asking for a drink holder - even if only getting one drink - my drink holder was broken in my van, so it was a win/win situation

Can someone please post a link of a tut on the egg carton stone method? I have heard about it many times but I havent ever seen it done. Thank you for the link on where to buy the cartons. Though I love eggs, my doctor has forbidden me from eatting them, if not I would have been more than happy to eat them everyday and send all of you the empty cartons...;)

You could also try asking at a restaurant most of them I bet buy their eggs by the crate rather than the smaller packs. Those crates I believe have 4 layers of cardboard egg carton materiral.

I used egg cartons for the stone on my BH. It was tedious but well worth it. I was happy with the results. I had eveybody in my family saving egg cartons LOL. Here's a picture of my BH egg carton chimney

gallery_663_997_18648.jpg

Well, since I originally posted this, I have followed the advice of Muriel and Jeffrey and asked for a drink holder whenever I buy a drink. I have obtained about 4 of them so far, and I am WAY excited because I've already made a LOT of "stones" and started a big box of them. It is so awesome that I can make them for free! This is something fun to do while I watch t.v., and I really like the drink holders, and think I will stick with them. As a happy Singleton, I do a lot of drive-through anyway, and it looks like I can cash in on this.

Irene, you chimney looks awesome! I definitely think this is going to become a new favorite technique of mine - anything to save a buck here and there!

I really like the way it looks, Rhonda. And the cost is nice, too! I finished laying the bricks for my sidewalk yesterday and painted them. Now I'll grout and have a sidewalk for the cost of a little labor and paint!