Dollhouse Wallpaper 'sealer'...

Adorabelle

Hello,

I've never used real dollhouse wallpaper before, having always used real wallpaper that's relatively patternless. For my 1/2" scale Rosedale, I decided to go with dollhouse paper, because I'm trying to make it resemble a real second empire period house as much as possible (my chosen bathroom tiles definitely aren't second empire, but I like them).

Anyhow, I read somewhere that intricately patterned wallpaper was normal back them, and have subsequently bought some. I just did the living room today and am looking forward to putting the first floor together. However, the instructions said not to put it on bare wood and to seal it afterwards. So, I didn't put it on bare wood but don't know what to seal it with that won't ruin the paper.

I have varnish here, but am betting that it would just make it look like someone dropped an enormous blob of oil all over the walls. Real wallpaper is already finished with a matte plastic overcoat. I must admit I was very surprised to find that dollhouse wallpaper is just, well, paper.

Please tell me what you use, and give the brand name too. I don't want to ruin this paper; it's very pretty.

Thank you,

Adorabelle

Go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby, or any place that carries art supplies. Look for clear acrylic sealer, Michael's carries Plaid brand. Make sure you put enough on it, or printies will bleed for sure. I've never had any problem with scrapbook paper or commercially made wallpaper, even if I didn't seal. But printies need a good seal-at least two light coats, don't try to do one heavy coat.

I use Krylon clear acrylic spray in matte. I think it also comes in satin & gloss, but I've always just used the matte & it works wonderfully.

That's what I use too. The instructions say to shake it for two minutes first but I'm not that patient! I've gotten drips on the paper that looked like they would leave a mark but once the sealer dries you can't see them at all. It works great.

To avoid putting the wallpaper on bare wood, you could first paint the wood with a coat of Kilz. I know a lot of people do that, but I personally think it's overkill. (And then I complain when my paper comes out bumpy...)

I usePatrica Nimocks Matt Sealer. It is put out by Plaid....I am thinking that since the last time I purchased any, they have dropped Patricia Nimocks from the name. One thing that nobody has mentioned... When I was taught to use this years ago, the teacher had us spray both sides of the paper. It makes it stronger and easier to manage. I have even used giftwrap paper with this method.

I never seal my wallpaper unless it's some I've printed myself, which is rarely. In 20 years I've never had dollhouse wallpaper bleed or smear and so far have had no priblems with scrap book paper. You have to seal the wood wall first or the glue will not hold. I use white or off white latex paint from Walmart or other stores and paint all the walls first to seal them. Just one coat to seal the wood. I also paint my ceilings at that time with 2-3 coats of the white or off white, depending on the background of the wallpaper. Sealer is very flammable, smells terrible and sometimes doesn't work anyway. I found that out with my print it yourself trial. I never use anything in my houses that isn't water based. :giggle:

• Like 1

I apply wallpaper to a primed wall and I don't seal dh wallpaper; I test an inconspicuous corner of scrapbook paper, and if it doesn't bleed or run, I don't seal that, either. When I seal a wall covering i use an aerosol acrylic sealer for pastels in a matte finish.

all this talk of sealing.... spraying....priming...it makes me worried...i've never done any of these :roflmao:

my printed wallpaper is ok after 3 years...i just printed another sheet of a highly pattered dark one to compare...its the same....i do use cardboard templates for wallpaper so i suppose the priming isnt an issue

i'm thinking...if the paper fades...well just like in RL its time to redecorate :p

OK, Linda, natural wood and also most treated lumber contains acids that, over time, will react with paper; ditto papers and cardboard, since they're processed from wood pulp; so this is why we seal/ prime the wood and use acidfree papers and cardstock.